The National

Zoo Music Girl

Personally, I think they're about the same size as Portishead or Orbital. But that's just me.

mrtourette and Dog Burger, were either of you actually at the gig where Matt supposedly said that? Just wondering...

I was there. It was the evening before Glastonbury.

As far as I remember he said "We weren't asked" as opposed to "they didn't want us".

p.s.I was also clinging to Matt and singing Mr November for a good 10-20 seconds. I was pretty embarassing. He was very sweaty.

And they are definitely more suited to a high slot on a smaller stage than a lower slot on a bigger stage. They're just not the kind of band that people waiting for someone else will enjoy. Can you imagine the Kasabian crowd packing into Pyramid and being struck with The National?

I'm not sure you always need to have a single 'headliner' anyway... something like The National into Massive Attack with both bands getting 90 minutes would be good. Billed as joint headliners.

Edited by Vanderlyle

Well, didn't the Pumpkins get longer than The XX last year, yet played below them? No reason why it couldn't happen, aye.

i think that was more due to The xx needing the dark for their light show so they did the ol' switcheroo, despite Pumpkins being the bigger act / headliner. out of Massive Attack and The National, Massive Attack are unarguably the deserving headliner

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was there. It was the evening before Glastonbury.

As far as I remember he said "We weren't asked" as opposed to "they didn't want us".

p.s.I was also clinging to Matt and singing Mr November for a good 10-20 seconds. I was pretty embarassing. He was very sweaty.

Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I didn't go because it clashed with Glastonbury annoyingly. I'm hoping they don't pull a similar stunt this year.

And I'm sure I would have done the same in your position.

And they are definitely more suited to a high slot on a smaller stage than a lower slot on a bigger stage. They're just not the kind of band that people waiting for someone else will enjoy. Can you imagine the Kasabian crowd packing into Pyramid and being struck with The National?

I'm not sure you always need to have a single 'headliner' anyway... something like The National into Massive Attack with both bands getting 90 minutes would be good. Billed as joint headliners.

I agree entirely with your first point there too. Subbing to Kasabian would be a nightmare. It worked for Nick Cave before Mumford and Sons but only because he used the lukewarm crowd reaction to his advantage by playing up to it. I can't see The National doing that very successfully.

i think that was more due to The xx needing the dark for their light show so they did the ol' switcheroo, despite Pumpkins being the bigger act / headliner. out of Massive Attack and The National, Massive Attack are unarguably the deserving headliner

The Pumpkin's stock has fallen greatly (particularly in the UK) over the past few years, I wouldn't consider them bigger than the XX anymore & I'm a big fan.

Agree about the National/Massive Attack though. The National subbed by Pixies would be pretty decent, but I doubt they'd want that combination to clash with Arcade Fire.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

slightly OT but can anyone tell me how quick their gigs tend to sell out? minutes, hours, days, weeks?

i have the heebies about getting tickets for the usher hall gig tomorrow.

It wasn't difficult to get tickets for Ally Pally, but that was a nearly year ago and their star has risen a lot I think. The 6music festival sold out in 7 minutes, but obviously that was about more than just them.

I'd be on the page a couple of minutes early and ready to rock if I were you. Good luck!

You sure your tickets are for the Same warehouse where the festival is taking place?

Ulf

Yes, you cheeky git! Luckily, I wasn't the one who actually purchased them hence minimising the possibility of fuck-ups.

I used to be good at buying tickets. Buying tickets was kind of my thing. It's all gone wrong since T-day.