'home media centre'

eFestivals

Does it have to be through a browser or can you use something like Sopcast?

it has to run on android. And I think (but aren't 100%) the app has to support chromecast, because the point is to send it to the TV via that.

Supposedly the chrome beta I've just installed is able to send embedded video within a webpage to the TV (tho cos it's android, it will have to be a non-flash video stream).

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a very cheap but decent portable speaker - £9.99. That includes free one-day delivery, and even the batteries the speaker needs.

The one I ordered yesterday to use at festies has just arrived, and I'm impressed. It's better than I thought it would be. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altec-Lansing-IMT227-Portable-Speaker/dp/B004B1X1CS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1405850214&sr=8-8&keywords=minirig

(I'd much rather have one of these, but I can't afford a hundred quid).

• 2 weeks later...

a very cheap but decent portable speaker - £9.99. That includes free one-day delivery, and even the batteries the speaker needs.

The one I ordered yesterday to use at festies has just arrived, and I'm impressed. It's better than I thought it would be. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altec-Lansing-IMT227-Portable-Speaker/dp/B004B1X1CS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1405850214&sr=8-8&keywords=minirig

Collected mine today and well impressed. Good tip sir. Missed the postie before we set off to Wickerman so will make it`s debut tomorrow at Kendal Calling. With the batteries, adaptor and postage included the actual speaker is a great bargain. Thanks for posting.

Excellent! Will put it to use on Saturday then!

Edit:

Found a list of supported devices:

http://allaboutchromecast.com/screen-mirroring-with-chromecast/

What Android devices can use screen mirroring with Chromecast now?

Screen mirroring with Chromecast (or screen casting as the official term) requires Android Kitkat 4.4.2 or higher and is currently supported on the following devices ONLY:

• Nexus 4
  • Nexus 5
  • Nexus 7 (2013)
  • Nexus 10
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
  • HTC One M7 (not M8, I don’t know the reason.)
  • LG G Pro 2
  • LG G2
  • LG G3

Edited by LondonTom

<p>

Excellent! Will put it to use on Saturday then!

Edit:

Found a list of supported devices:

http://allaboutchromecast.com/screen-mirroring-with-chromecast/

Oh so I could of cast the screen form my old Nexus 4, didn't know that! Do you know when the update for screen casting got released?

Edit:

Stopped being lazy and Googled it myself, looks like it came out in July but only for those devices so far.

Edited by Essex_George

• 2 months later...

I've just ordered myself a new NAS, the Synology DS214play.

I'm going to use that for the same things as i use my current NAS (media server, & back-up space), plus I'm now going to do my website development on it, so I'll be able to switch off my (now old) linux server.

My existing NAS (a DS212j) is going to be used as an occasional backup for the new 214play - mostly so I've got another copy of my ripped music. The last thing I want to have to do is re-rip everything.

And my old linux machine will be wiped, and will have a new version of linux installed on it - just in case I ever need it for anything, and perhaps to be my new desktop machine (so i can dump windoze entirely).

I went for RED drives as mine is constantly being batter by the kids watching films etc. Plus better in RAID configuration.

I would go RED if I was you. The power consumption vs the GREEN isn't much difference but their performance is much better in this type of system.

The reds are better, but they're huge overkill for "the kids watching films etc". A standard disk from over 10 years ago would have been plenty adequate for that.

It's for backup speed - write speed - that better disks will come into their own.