Rock Werchter 2014

Guest Dead throne

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pearl Jam, just incredible again. Pity was cut down to 2.5 hours but still the best by a mile.

Great time overall, had nice spot camping by comfort zone 2. Found the heat too unbearable the first days of it, but those rain storms were crazy.

Only bands we missed that wanted to see were Eels, Jack Johnson, Imagine Dragons so not too bad. Haim and the Strypes were excellent too.

Pearl Jam were just phenomenal. Dat run of Jeremy - State of love and trust - Black - Daughter - Porch eh? I was dead afterwards so badly :P

I was in the Hive camping, at the very back so basically as far away from the arena you could get but I didn't mind too much tbh as the campsites were kept in pretty good shape so can't complain there!

I did get really unwell due to the cold and rain on sunday though and spent the evening in the Medics tent after throwing up blood because I was so cold so completely missed Franz - KOL - Interpol. I've seen Franz before recently so wasn't too upset about them, KOL was the only headliner I didn't really like too much so not a massive loss but I did really want to catch Interpol.

Acts of the weekend for me were definitely Pearl Jam, Biffy, Metallica, Eels and Damon Albarn :D

Echoing what has already been said about Pearl Jam. The best set i've seen at a festival. Eddie Vedder was mesmerising and really humble, which was so refreshing after Alex Turner the night before, who i found really underwhelming.

I thought The Hive was alright. Toilets kept in good shape and pretty clean throughout but the 'entertainment' area was a bit shit.

Chase & Status killed it in The Barn on Sunday night. Chaos! Other highlights were Foals, Biffy, Damon Albarn, Paolo Nutini, London Grammar and Major Lazer.

One thing that pissed me right off was those signs that people wrote on and then held up to the artist on the main stage, hence blocking the view of everyone behind them. I noticed it was particularly bad in the very front bit. My only gripe to a very well organised and very enjoyable festival.

My 5th Werchter. To sum it up

1. Pearl Jam - they're like Barney's Stinson trademark - LEGEN - wait for it - DARY. The set blew me away, but still really pissed they didn't play Wishlist & Last Kiss and that Ed chose the wrong side of the barriers during his run. That way we would shake hands :)

2. Robert Plant - I'm almost 31 and I cried like a baby. Really, REALLy phenomenal artist and his music is breathtaking.

3. Metallica - classic. They delivered what they should deliver. Finally heard Battery and Whiskey. Shame that all "by request set" ended up typical set. Missed tons of Load/Reload era tunes...

4. Temperance Movement - since the festival is about discoveries, those guys were not to be missed. Along Reignwolf and Royal Blood - one of the BEST new rock groups of the moment.

5. Last but not least - Rodrigo y Gabriela. WHAT A SHOW. Only two people, only guitars but the tunes...superb. I'm a fan right now.

There were tons of other great artists - Damon Albarn, Midlake, Biffy Clyro and Foals to name a few.

My major dissappointment - The Black Keys. Something didn't play for me the way it should. Dunno why, still trying to figure it out.

Besides the music....

Rain was crazy, epecially during Bastille. Thanks to some Dutch guy who spread a giant plastic foil so we hid under it (alongside 20 other people). We ended up looking like a giant condom, but what the hell. At least we were dry :):):)

North West Walls - entered, looked around and left. Nothing there for me. Containers treated with graffiti. Oh, well...

5th time, but deffinitely not the last. If Foo Fighters are FINALLY gonna show up at Werchter next year - then I start waiting for 2015 edition !!!!

Edited by heti

Had an amazing time at Werchter. Destroyed my phone thanks to the rain on Sunday (it was fine as I had my upgrade waiting for me at home but still inconvenient travelling home old school) but before that I found the app notifications to be really useful. Laughed so hard at the Facebook status' they posted when you scanned your wristband, they managed to take all the coolness out of seeing incredible bands but we had a good laugh at them and it was a nice idea.

What is everyone predicting for 2015? Think we'll have any repeats? I know Werchter are notorious for repeats but I have a feeling we might not get any with Arctics/KOL coming to the end of their touring cycles and the world generally not being the sort of happy place that would give us Pearl Jam two years in a row. Metallica might be around, but I hope not.

Top 5 for me:

Pearl Jam(saw them a week before in Stockholm and they were even better there!)

Robert Plant

Biffy Clyro

Metallica

Imagine Dragons

Other bands worth a mention: Jack Johnson and Miles Kane.

Most disappointing band, Arctic Monkeys with out a doubt.

My guess for next year: Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Radiohead, Editors

I think Foos will rather do June-July fests again, they still owe Rock Werchter one after the 2011 story.

Netsky is releasing a new album in a couple of months, figure he's the first act that's 100% sure.

My guess for other possible headliners and subs: Coldplay, Muse, The Strokes, Florence, QOTSA, Radiohead, RHCP, Snow Patrol.

I'm calling AC/DC for Werchter Boutique and Fleetwood Mac for TW Classic.

Edited by Dietediet