Security taking money to let people in

Guest tonyblair

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic but we were also told by someone working for security that 20 security staff had been ejected for stealing from tents , and to be suspicious of these people too , this in our camping area !! arrgh !! Anyone else hear similar ?

Slightly off topic but we were also told by someone working for security that 20 security staff had been ejected for stealing from tents , and to be suspicious of these people too , this in our camping area !! arrgh !! Anyone else hear similar ?

what area was this? we were in pylon an had security knock on our tent at 5 in the morning on sunday we didn't get up but I shouted "what do you want?" to which they replied "we've had reports of tent thefts in the area and were checking to see if we'd been robbed" Very strange if you ask me especially at that time. They said as there was a pair of trousers half sticking out of the bottom of our tent that this had raised their suspicions.

We stayed off site and had entry and exit through one of the vehicle gates. We were checked 3 times while entering the site and also when we exited. Once by security before crossing the road into the main site, then again by security and Oxfam volunteers on the other side of the road, and then again by security and oxfam as we went through the main fence. I can certainly say that the security was not lax from our point of view.

Yup would need to be a vehicle gate, the ped gates you would have security and oxfam to get through and show tickets/wristbands

If true, then this should be easy enough to work out what company is involved and take further action.

I went on site in a minibus in 2011 on the Monday and our driver had been on site a few times, but we came from London and 12 of us on there just got waved through as the vehicle had a pass on it. No checks were done on the people on board.

Sziget in Hungary they have random checks where stewards just stand on a walkway and check wristbands, give em a tug because they have like 20 different types of ticket and you are trusted to leave when you should.

Good idea but it slows human traffic quite a bit and people with wristbands will just turn around and take a different route.

Can only see them doing it if it is a term on the licence.

I did three shifts on VG5 (stewarding) and we were made aware of the security firm shipping people on-site via the vans with no accreditation (only the security tabards).

This was prior to the festival opening on the Wednesday, so I would have been surprised if people got in using this method during the festival as the event management and gate staff knew of this scam.

Don't know what happened at the other gates / shifts, but on my shifts, all vehicles were stopped and every passenger was checked to ensure they had the correct accreditation (including coaches, security and emergancy services).

This was my 5th Glastonbury on the bounce where I have worked for a ticket (on pedestrian or vehicle gates) and there are always new scams every year.

Yup would need to be a vehicle gate, the ped gates you would have security and oxfam to get through and show tickets/wristbands

If true, then this should be easy enough to work out what company is involved and take further action.

I went on site in a minibus in 2011 on the Monday and our driver had been on site a few times, but we came from London and 12 of us on there just got waved through as the vehicle had a pass on it. No checks were done on the people on board.

If that's the case then it's not that massive a problem. As far as I'm aware, security was handled by one firm and £10k at £300 a pop is 'just' 33/34 people, certainly not the thousands that people are suggesting.

Personally, I think it's just perception. People forget what 130,000 people looks like, particularly when a good 75% of that total will always be around the main stages and passageways.

My wristband was checked thoroughly on Gate D each time I left and returned; as I mentioned on another thread, on the Sunday we were checked additionally out by the car parks as we were told they were aware people were getting in without wristbands. If it is a dodgy security firm then it's simply solved by ensuring all traffic on to site is thoroughly checked. I don't think many (if any) actually managed to get through the pedestrian gates without a wristband.

Edited by tonyblair