Wednesday queues

Guest knivesout

We have manged to rent a cottage just 11 miles away for 2 nights before the festival, so I am hopeful that getting in won't be too traumatic! Looking at the map, I think the owners may even be able to tip us the wink on a useful back way into the site. It looks as if it pretty much backs onto the festival site & it's only as much as 11 miles because you have to go round the site itself.

It was a lucky break too. The minimum let was 3 nights but I noticed a gap in bookings for 24th/25th that was only 2 nights long, so I sent a cheeky email asking if they'd consider letting it to us for the 2 nights if we left really early on the Wednesday causing minimum inconvenience to their incoming guests. The usual cost for 3 nights was £395 but I got an email back saying we could have the 2 nights for £120! It's got a 4 poster bed in the bedroom & a hot tub in the garden! 2 nights of luxury followed by a short hop to the queue at a fraction of the usual cost. Well pleased!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have manged to rent a cottage just 11 miles away for 2 nights before the festival, so I am hopeful that getting in won't be too traumatic! Looking at the map, I think the owners may even be able to tip us the wink on a useful back way into the site. It looks as if it pretty much backs onto the festival site & it's only as much as 11 miles because you have to go round the site itself.

It was a lucky break too. The minimum let was 3 nights but I noticed a gap in bookings for 24th/25th that was only 2 nights long, so I sent a cheeky email asking if they'd consider letting it to us for the 2 nights if we left really early on the Wednesday causing minimum inconvenience to their incoming guests. The usual cost for 3 nights was £395 but I got an email back saying we could have the 2 nights for £120! It's got a 4 poster bed in the bedroom & a hot tub in the garden! 2 nights of luxury followed by a short hop to the queue at a fraction of the usual cost. Well pleased!

Cheers, will take a look mate. I know I sound a moany git but it was horrible, my own stupid fault for not wrapping my clothes with a bin liner which didn't help with the rain. Out of all my mates who I was with I was the only one who'd been before so they all trusted me in which way to go! Haha, were some evil eyes on me but what can you do?

Anyway, sure it'll be much better this year.

That sounds brutal! Just to let you know, if you look at the thread with the latest panoramic photo's, it seems as though they've set up a load of metal fencing things outside the gates, to put a stop to the queue chaos this year.

Edited by APPLES77

Shhhhhhhh! Now everyone's going to read this and go straight for gate A- no doubt you're plotting to get them out of the way so you have gate D all to yourself!

The gate d problem was because there were two separate queues that snaked around and then one doubled back and merged with the other at the bottom of the hill. It was chaos getting up the hill with both queues merging. Then at the top it was a quagmire. They should never have moved the entrance point. It was silly.

Getting there about 7am at Gate A... think we're gonna be one of the first coaches there so hoping it'll be reasonable... either way pretty certain I'm gonna get in before midday so will be fine :) Really hoping this isn't overly optimistic thinking...

Just done some research on our route from Liverpool. There's roadworks between junction 15/17 on the M5 just before Bristol. Does any one in the area know the extent of the work/delays/impact you think Glastonbury will have on the roadwork traffic. Apparently it's lasting until 29 June.

Edited by tumbles

Those roadworks are there till next Spring. *But* they are fine generally apart from peak hours and only if you are tending to go off the M5 northbound to join the M4 eastbound (it snarles up from the following M32) junction.

If you are coming down the M5 southbound it's a breeze. It's a 50 mph zone but for 2-3 miles at best.

If you are coming across from M4 Wales then take the M49 and avoid it anyway.

If you are coming from M4 London then it'll be sticky from J19 (M32) till you join the M5. It's only 2 or so miles again and most of the roadworks on this stretch are complete so congestion is better than it has been. Avoid peak hour evening rush hour (5-6pm) as it'll be a bit more dicey. Don't even consider going through Bristol as a short cut if its really bad as it'll be 100x worse through Bristol - in fact you are better off going off at Bath (J18) and then going cross country.

The worst traffic around this spot usually comes from an accident. So fingers crossed it's clear.