Albums from start to finish

Guest jimmyt

My $0.02 I don't think these have been mentioned yet:

White Lies - To Lose My Life

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

Muse - Absolution

Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood

Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (I prefer it to Funeral)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something a bit newer, I'm a big fan. I don't know, is Fiona Apple well known or not?

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-idler-wheel-is-wiser-than-the-driver-of-the-screw-and-whipping-cords-will-serve-you-more-than-ropes-will-ever-do-mw0002332951

"There are no singles here, nothing concise and concentrated to facilitate an easy sell. But that's not to say that The Idler Wheel is alienating. As elliptical as the melodies and words can be, the music is immediate and the songs unfold quickly, certain turns of phrase or thrilling runs swiftly seeping into the subconscious. Lacking either ornate production or a pop single, The Idler Wheel plays like Fiona Apple at her purest and that's plenty complicated"

Edited by whisty

Something a bit newer, I'm a big fan. I don't know, is Fiona Apple well known or not?

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-idler-wheel-is-wiser-than-the-driver-of-the-screw-and-whipping-cords-will-serve-you-more-than-ropes-will-ever-do-mw0002332951

"There are no singles here, nothing concise and concentrated to facilitate an easy sell. But that's not to say that The Idler Wheel is alienating. As elliptical as the melodies and words can be, the music is immediate and the songs unfold quickly, certain turns of phrase or thrilling runs swiftly seeping into the subconscious. Lacking either ornate production or a pop single, The Idler Wheel plays like Fiona Apple at her purest and that's plenty complicated"

Edited by FloorFiller

I've stopped listening to pre-album-release singles now as I always mentally separate them from the album. That's why,when listening to DOLDRUMS, I pretty much always skip Egypt, the lead single.

Otherwise, there have been a few great 'album' albums recently, which don't necessarily "need" to be listened to all the way through, but are too damn immersive to quit mid-way. Tame Impala's Lonerism is definitely one of those.

Purity Ring's Shrines is a fantatic album listen. I've noticed each track, if played gaplessly, comes in on beat from the last without audibly carrying over. It's a really clever technique!

I'd go, among many:

Amorphous Androgynous - Mellow Hippo

Elbow - Asleep in the back

Magma - MDK

The Mars Volta - everything

Yes - Relayer

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

Jagga Jazzist - One armed bandit

godspeed ybe - anything

Riverside - SONGS

King Crimson - Red or VROOM

i listen to most albums from start to finish. i'm still stuck in the 'album age' even though it seems to be an almost dead art (well... maybe) but i just love listening to a piece of work, made and sequenced by an artist/band from start to finish. my favourite thing is hearing an album and loving it all the way through

but obviously some albums are a lot easier to listen to from start to finish, and the few that i listen to from start to finish on a regular basis are:

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Radiohead - OK Computer

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Bonnie Prince Billy - I See A Darkness

Built To Spill - Keep It Like A Secret

Weezer - Pinkerton

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Antony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

Nas - Illmatic

Jimmy Eat World - Futures

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

probably a ton more but these are the ones that spring to mind as i've listened to them all quite regularly recently and don't have any tracks that i regularly skip

i listen to most albums from start to finish. i'm still stuck in the 'album age' even though it seems to be an almost dead art (well... maybe) but i just love listening to a piece of work, made and sequenced by an artist/band from start to finish. my favourite thing is hearing an album and loving it all the way through

but obviously some albums are a lot easier to listen to from start to finish, and the few that i listen to from start to finish on a regular basis are:

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Radiohead - OK Computer

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Bonnie Prince Billy - I See A Darkness

Built To Spill - Keep It Like A Secret

Weezer - Pinkerton

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Antony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

Nas - Illmatic

Jimmy Eat World - Futures

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

probably a ton more but these are the ones that spring to mind as i've listened to them all quite regularly recently and don't have any tracks that i regularly skip

Right... I'll add a few.

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Black Crowes - Southern Musical Harmony

Alice Cooper - Schools Out

Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites

The Cult - Sonic Temple

Dogs D'Amour - in the Dynamite Jet Saloon

Green Day - Warning

G 'n' R - Appetite

Janes Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

Janes Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual

Jesse Malin - The Fine Art of Self Destruction

The Mission - Carved in Sand

Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

David Lee Roth - Eat 'em and Smile

Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Bruce Springsteen - The Rising

Van Halen - Van Halen

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Neil Young - Unplugged

Not a lot of Glastonbury stuff there but there you gp.

i think Billy Corgan / Smashing Pumpkins are a prime example of the album format being inescapable - he went on record saying the album format was dead and that he was gonna release a song at a time, as they're recorded, for his Teargarden By Kaleidyscope thing, and then half way through he's pretty much given up on that idea and is releasing albums again, claiming they're 'albums within an album', but that's bullshit. he caved. probably had a lot to do with the fact people lost interested in the 'song at a time' thing, but i'd like to think he saw the error of his ways and missed making albums proper

I'd say there's been a resurgence of it. Lots of my favourite albums of last year, Eccentronic Research Council, Dexys, Dead Sea Scrolls etc were designed to be listened to as albums, as a complete whole.

Also, I thinkyou got two different things going on, on one hand the idea that the album is dead and the other, more pressing problem is that bands think that they have to fill a CD up with 60 mins plus of music. Give me a shortish perfect paced album, 30-45 minutes.

on the subject of album length, double albums are a thing that annoy me quite a bit. bar a few, what double album wouldn't have been ten times better if it'd been condensed down into a single album!? most bands seem to get to a point in their career - their peak usually. just released their most successful album maybe - where they release a double album and they're usually overlong, bloated, full of filler, and just too much

filling up one single disc is often too much but filling up TWO discs in one album. silly

Since the introduction of CDs groups tend now to think they need to make their album last an hour instead of 35 mins when on vinyl. Hence more fillers.

But got me stone roses and arctic monkeys 1st albums are great when played in full.

Also do you consider instrumental tracks to be fillers? As a kid no but now adays definitely

There have been some double album horrors too, where someone at the record company should just have stood up and told the artist to get a grip and apply some more quality control. Prince has been a prime example of this more than once and only managed to justify it once (Sign o the times).

As for the impact of the CD, do people think that it killed the A side/B side dynamic? For example many bands used to end both sides of an LP with a big ass number, often a ballad or more epic number. Some bands had an up side/down side ethos.

In many ways I miss vinyl, in others I couldn't be happier with solid state. I might not get all the pretty packaging, but I don't have to deal with scratches, warping, my mates stealing them at parties and all the other downsides which we sometimes gloss over.

on the subject of album length, double albums are a thing that annoy me quite a bit. bar a few, what double album wouldn't have been ten times better if it'd been condensed down into a single album!? most bands seem to get to a point in their career - their peak usually. just released their most successful album maybe - where they release a double album and they're usually overlong, bloated, full of filler, and just too much

filling up one single disc is often too much but filling up TWO discs in one album. silly

My musical listenership consists of pretty much only listening to albums from start to finish, apart from the odd mix CD and an ipod for the gym etc. Sad that its becoming more rare. "The album" is still the greatest art form for me.

Funnily enough, I saw Springsteen do the entire Darkness on the Edge of Town album in Stockholm last night from start to finish. Sublime stuff.