CCTV?

Guest Couchy

I can't be bothered replying to individual posts, but I had to read this thread quickly earlier, so it might have seemed like I was dismissing people's points.

Of course sexism isn't the same now as it was in the 50s-70s, but it's still very much an issue. In some ways it has improved and in other ways it has gotten worse.

I think the Internet plays a big part in it. With Facebook pages rating a towns "dirtiest birds" and shit like the lad bible, it seems like "banter" to a lot of people. But it is misogyny and you can't hide that behind banter.

Women are still treated as objects, whose feelings don't matter because we are not equal to men or deserving of respect.

I couldn't even count the amount if times I've been harrassed by men. At one point I used to dread going out in public on my own dressed up for a night out, because of comments from men in the street.

I agree with Russycarps that sexism will be the last "ism" to go away. It just seems so much more deep rooted than other things and it's sad that people won't acknowledge how big an issue it is.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are comparing like for like in modern sexism, a quick google/facebook search will reveal 'Ladies w*nk Bank', 'Ladettes Bible' etc etc granted they are not as popular as the male counterparts but they are there and well liked.

Personally don't read lads mags but oddly enough do flick through womens mags because of my mother and sister. I have seen 'How to get the best out of your man in bed', 'what men want', constant slagging off of women(oh dear god she has a stretch mark! etc). They are just as bad as mens mags, just in a different way.

Every weekend without fail I will be propositioned by women, have them slap my ass and grab my package, get called all sorts of names and sexual innuendo thrown in my direction etc etc does it bother me? No. Can I see why it would bother some people? Yes. It can easily be seen as sexism, sexual harassment and in some cases sexual assault.

This ship sails in both directions, granted more is directed at women but wrong is wrong in my book.

If we are comparing like for like in modern sexism, a quick google/facebook search will reveal 'Ladies w*nk Bank', 'Ladettes Bible' etc etc granted they are not as popular as the male counterparts but they are there and well liked.

Personally don't read lads mags but oddly enough do flick through womens mags because of my mother and sister. I have seen 'How to get the best out of your man in bed', 'what men want', constant slagging off of women(oh dear god she has a stretch mark! etc). They are just as bad as mens mags, just in a different way.

Every weekend without fail I will be propositioned by women, have them slap my ass and grab my package, get called all sorts of names and sexual innuendo thrown in my direction etc etc does it bother me? No. Can I see why it would bother some people? Yes. It can easily be seen as sexism, sexual harassment and in some cases sexual assault.

This ship sails in both directions, granted more is directed at women but wrong is wrong in my book.

Nope, women have it far worse than us men but rules for one should be rules for another no?

Under law and what has been said on this forum:

1. I have been sexually harassed by women at work, being called names and touched. Innuendo was constantly used.

2. I have been sexually assaulted when out. Hand up kilt, groping, ass slapping etc

3. I have been sexually harassed when out. The same people regularly give me "when are we going to do it" etc

These all have happened to me and will happen to me, the only difference is that I am male. If you exchanged me for a 25 year old female there would be uproar and prosecutions.

Personally I don't give two hoots, take it as a compliment. My point is men, admittedly in far lesser numbers, do suffer from sexual harassment. What is so wrong in stating that fact? It's all down to the 'victim' sees it, bit of fun or something more serious?

*and before you get on your soap box I am not detracting from the years of persecution women have suffered, just making the point that in the modern world things are not so black and white.

Mmmm.

I love women. Some of my favourite people are them, and the most impressive people I have met have been them.

I don't know though if a crap joke is sexism. Does it really do detriment to the jokee? Is it sexist if the joker would have made the same joke to a bloke also?

Are men subject to sexism? Of course. On average they live less, and work longer. Fair, how exactly? And this enshrined in law. Condoned by the state therefore.

And "sexism will be the last "ism" to go. Perlease.

And least sexism has a name. At least it is an issue.

Uglism on the other hand? The ism that must not be spoken. I hear women, men, gay, straight, black white etc etc take the piss out of the ugly, shun them and denigrate them. They earn less on average, are passed over for jobs and promotion, are more likely to be found guilty by a jury. But no one shouts their corner. Never once heard a feminist cry freedom for the physically challenged.

So perspective eh?

And peace x

Mmmm.

I love women. Some of my favourite people are them, and the most impressive people I have met have been them.

I don't know though if a crap joke is sexism. Does it really do detriment to the jokee? Is it sexist if the joker would have made the same joke to a bloke also?

Are men subject to sexism? Of course. On average they live less, and work longer. Fair, how exactly? And this enshrined in law. Condoned by the state therefore.

Uglism on the other hand? The ism that must not be spoken. I hear women, men, gay, straight, black white etc etc take the piss out of the ugly, shun them and denigrate them. They earn less on average, are passed over for jobs and promotion, are more likely to be found guilty by a jury. But no one shouts their corner. Never once heard a feminist cry freedom for the physically challenged.

So perspective eh?

And peace x

Mmmm.

So perspective eh?

And peace x

Could somebody say "scopophilc gaze" in a comment please? I need it to complete a line in the cultural theory bingo I've been playing. We've had the whole range of analytical tools in this thread from Good Old Fashioned Feminist Theory, to Gender Theory and Identity Theory, even a smattering of Biological Determinism. I'm almost tempted to mention the economic base of culture just to complete the set. All of this would be great at the JCR, but here it's scaring away the people we all like to make fun of.

Could somebody say "scopophilc gaze" in a comment please? I need it to complete a line in the cultural theory bingo I've been playing. We've had the whole range of analytical tools in this thread from Good Old Fashioned Feminist Theory, to Gender Theory and Identity Theory, even a smattering of Biological Determinism. I'm almost tempted to mention the economic base of culture just to complete the set. All of this would be great at the JCR, but here it's scaring away the people we all like to make fun of.

I've just got home from doing the big shop. The lady at the check out insisted on packing all my shopping into bags for me because, and I quote, "you're a man, you won't do it right"

The outrage!! I feel a strongly worded letter to tesco coming on.

To be fair, the one bag that I packed myself did split...but that's not the point!

Edited by wilko8

I've just got home from doing the big shop. The lady at the check out insisted on packing all my shopping into bags for me because, and I quote, "you're a man, you won't do it right"

The outrage!! I feel a strongly worded letter to tesco coming on.

To be fair, the one bag that I packed myself did split...but that's not the point!

1. I have been sexually harassed by women at work, being called names and touched. Innuendo was constantly used.

2. I have been sexually assaulted when out. Hand up kilt, groping, ass slapping etc

3. I have been sexually harassed when out. The same people regularly give me "when are we going to do it" etc