Tatting on the Monday: What's the best thing you have found that has been left behind?

Guest gibbin82

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the hell do some you think you are, ok a lot of stuff does get left, but those of you that have "found really good stuff" how do you know people have left it there and are not just getting a coffee or gone to the loo.

In 2011 my girlfriend and I packed up our stuff minus tent and sleeping bags, left our bags in the porch and got a nap to get ready for the drive home. Woke up to our bags gone, we were 2 feet away, nobody could be arsed to check. If you have found something worth taking with you, you have to assume that the person who ownes it thinks the same. I am going to try and not generalise but you bunch of thieving gits......

Obviously fly-tipping is wrong, but I don't remember anyone leaving any white goods at glastonbury by the bins either. Most councils will collect that kind of thing, rendering dumping pointless.

Just because something isn't broken, doesn't mean it isn't useless. If I had a sleeping bag I didn't want, I would donate it to my local homeless charity and they would be very grateful. But if I was at a festival in Australia, for instance, I expect I would have trouble giving away a used sleeping bag. Would you want one?

You're splitting hairs. White goods, other shit, who cares?! It's still dumping your shit for someone else to clear up.

I'm actually not jumping all over Arcade Fireman as there are clearly worse examples. I'm just surprised he's so adamant that he's done nothing wrong when by any stretch, there were better ways of disposing of his unwanted items than leaving them to be someone else's problem. Although I do accept those other ways might have been less convenient for him.

You're splitting hairs. White goods, other shit, who cares?! It's still dumping your shit for someone else to clear up.

I'm actually not jumping all over Arcade Fireman as there are clearly worse examples. I'm just surprised he's so adamant that he's done nothing wrong when by any stretch, there were better ways of disposing of his unwanted items than leaving them to be someone else's problem. Although I do accept those other ways might have been less convenient for him.

Packed bags in a tent porch?

that's your own silly fault fella, you'd say the same to someone leaving a hundred quid lying about and it's no different

As to everyone being thieving gits quite unfair, most stuff is clearly abandoned blowing around with the tumble-tents. Empty tents with nothing personal in them... Just discarded

Amazingly i did see what I thought was a pile of rubbish and on closer inspection it was a whole neatly packed campsite including all their rucksacks and clothes all in a pile presumably waiting for them to come back and pick it up after a walk around the markets. Beyond brave into fool hardy

Edited by Starks

@Mr.Fireman .... TBH, you probably ought to have stopped arguing/debating yesterday when you were in a reasonable position cos you really do seem to be kinda digging yourself more than a bit of a hole now I reckon :P

Heading straight off to the airport from site is one thing but via a friend's place for an overnight in London ? You could so easily have asked him to drop the sleeping bag if nothing else into any convenient homeless shelter, charity place or similar couldn't you. I'm pretty sure that someone somewhere would have been pleased to have it rather than it much more likely just ending up being dumped in a Somerset landfill site and all that ;)

Edited by mikeb

At Tangerine Fields and Worthy View they need to better publicise the fact that airbeds and sleeping bags you get from them are yours to keep and are not rented (like the tents).

In 2011 we stayed in TF and left our airbed behind because we thought it wasn't ours to take. This year in WV we took our own but saw lots of abandoned ones, plus overheard conversations from people wondering if they were allowed to take them or not. I know some of them would have been intentionally left behind but it might have helped if everyone knew that they could (and should!) take them.

At Roskilde one year , in an abandoned Dinghy ( honest ) i found an axe !

Took it back to our crew with a "look what i have found "

My mate said " I will have that "

And despite our protests about not taking it on a plane , he managed to get through Copenhagen and Manchester airport.

Ahhm think you are just seeing things from the point of view that you want to see them, we were in the tent with the door open there was no space to keep the bags in the tent with us in it.

Not stupid of us to have our stuff stolen it was stolen FFS!!

We stayed on site til the late afternoon, then got a transfer to Bath and West Showground where we waited to be picked up. We got back to London at 10.30pm. I left my friends' place in Hendon (an area I'm not familiar with) in a frazzled state for Heathrow Airport twelve hours later. I struggle to see at which point I could have disposed of my sleeping bag, seeing as I would rather leave it at Glasto where there is a bunch of similar stuff being chucked out, than my friends house where there is nothing similar being chucked out.

I find the moral absolutism of some people on here worse than some of most hardcore religious people I've met.

Picked up 5 double air beds at WV on the Monday morning as well as 3 brand new sleeping bags. They were just in my immediate vicinity and as you walked out the exit where the campsite crew were taking down tents there were piles of both bags and airbeds. That's the guests at my house sorted for the next 30 years.