Tatting on the Monday: What's the best thing you have found that has been left behind?

Guest gibbin82

Nonsense. If you leave a reasonable looking chair on monday someone will take it and 'recycle' it for themselves. I have no guilt about leaving reusable stuff at glasto as someone WILL take it. You have to be quite on guard on the monday because of all the people roaming around keen to take things.

I'd be doing it myself if i wasnt doing the festival by public transport.

They did need to give out more bags this year for general rubbish and recycling. I had to use bags id bought in myself for rubbish. If they want the farm tidy why didnt they give out bags?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense. If you leave a reasonable looking chair on monday someone will take it and 'recycle' it for themselves. I have no guilt about leaving reusable stuff at glasto as someone WILL take it. You have to be quite on guard on the monday because of all the people roaming around keen to take things.

They did need to give out more bags this year for general rubbish and recycling. I had to use bags id bought in myself for rubbish. If they want the farm tidy why didnt they give out bags?

Oh i dunno. I have never bought a camping chair in my life. Yeah maybe I am being selfish because I prefer to find them rather than buy them.

I always thought they should maybe do a chair rental thing, like deckchairs on the beach with all the leftovers.

Im not worried about people roaming round picking up stuff, i think its cool. I wish i had a big van so I could do the same. I love to scavenge.

The festival should definatly provide rubbish bags though, a bit wierd not to and then moan about the rubbish (not that they have particurlarly this year)

Clearly everyone near us in Dairy Ground drank themselves dry!

Didn't pick up any alcohol but we did come away with what we believe to be a brand new 4 man tent, a really soft sleeping bag, an ikea trolly (crap but did the job!) a water container and some biscuits :D

I left the tents porch poles by mistake because I didn't know what they were! Pretty sure this was all abandoned as we didn't leave til about 5.30pm.

Security were doing the rounds of checking tents for things (bodies!) but seemed to damage quite a lot in the process of flattening them...

And that may be true. But it matters not. He should have still thought about what he would do with the stuff he bought if he could not take it with him before he bought it. Its not as if the "leave no trace" campaign would be unknown to him, especially if he posts on here.

As mike pointed out bring it onsite/buy it onsite, its your crap, so you should deal with it and not be a lazy git and rely on others to do so.........

I disagree with you. What part of "Leave no trace" is hard for you to understand? As for "I had to use bags I'd bought in myself for rubbish" you're supposed to clean up your rubbish therefore you're supposed to bring bin bags. Jeez, you'll be complaining about wiping your own arse next.

That attitude kind of reminds me of this

I love how people that left stuff behind have become all defensive. "Ooh, don't blame me for leaving stuff, it's all someone else's fault"

It might not have said bring your own bin bags but it did say 'Leave No Trace' and to me that's simple enough.

Just out of interest, where did you leave your unwanted shit?

This is the first Glastonbury out of six I left anything at all behind (and not a big amount at that) and since my circumstances and reasons for having done so were very different to 99% of those who left things behind I don't really feel any shame in having done so.

The sleeping bag I was always going to leave behind - I needed one for Glasto, my parents gave me one they had lying around but they live up north and I went Glasto to London (only left site at 6pm) to Heathrow the next morning so didn't have time to find a more suitable place to leave it. The camp chair I was going to leave at my friends', but as I said earlier he found a big 12 man tent left behind, I carried the big heavy rods back through transfer to Bath and West showground, car and tube so along with my own stuff didn't really have space for the chair. But considering what we took off site instead was much bigger than what I left behind, again, no real regrets.

I'm not blaming anyone, just think it could be an idea to have somewhere to hand things in. It would save time on the clean up operation for a start. I left my sleeping bag and camp chair by the bins.

Don't be an idiot. Should I have gone without a sleeping bag? Not gone to Glastonbury? I picked up the sleeping bag from my parents' attic (they live in the UK) so I didn't bring it from Australia with me.

There wouldn't be a problem at the festival if a small minority of people like myself who were travelling across the world left a couple of small easy to collect things up. The clean up operation would take half an hour. My flight was the following morning and there was pretty much nowhere else I could have left it. Use a bit of common sense before slagging off others. Five previous Glastos done from when I lived in the UK and I never left a thing behind.

I have been to 15 glastonbury festivals (and many other festivals too) and this is the first one that they have not given out rubbish bags. Obviously my previous experience lead me to expect that there would be rubbish bags availiable. Sorry about that. I don't know if there was a specific 'there will be no rubbish bags provided so bring your own' statement in the fine guide'. Clearly there needs to be if this is what the festival wants you to do. I don't think it is a particularly obvious thing and would have thought not giving out rubbish bags would discourage the slightly disorganised festival goer from tidying up. Infact giving someone a rubbish bag gives a clear messege that they are expected to tidy up if anything.

Previously there were green bags given for recycling too, so you could sort the rubbish, perhaps they are not bothered about trying to do recycling anymore? I noticed alot less litterpickers going around the campsite in the day, I didn't see any actually. Have they just done away with them?

At Bestival they give you rubbish bags (both types) and a free cuppa tea for giving in your rubbish bags, nice eh?

You are seemingly the idiot.

An idiot who can not read. "Leave no trace"

A selfish idiot who thinks its OK for someone else to clean up after them. The clean-up operation would take "no time" if no one left a thing. You seem to think you have a right to leave crap behind while others should not.

An inconsiderate idiot who did not consider the logistics of their journey properly. Is it not possible to travel with a sleeping bag these days on flights? It's a while since I have been backpacking. Maybe airports have banned sleeping bags since then? Or are they just banned from leaving and entering Oz?

The fact that you feel no shame or have no regrets says a lot about you, your attitude and your character.

If you find this something that is "slagging you off", maybe you would want to look at yourself, grow up and mature a little.

You actually think there is an excuse for this. There is not. The litter pickers dont care if you had to catch a flight and neither does anyone running the festival and those who fully support the 'leave no trace' campaign

Next time think about it and plan accordingly, or if not just don't bother going if you cant........

Er, so technically, to truly 'leave no trace' we should be taking all our garbage ( empty cans, food containers, used wet wipes etc etc) away on the coach when we leave? I think some provision is made for rubbish and they aussie did say he left his stuff by the bins. People are being way too harsh here.

I have taken loads more stuff off the farm than I have left so have no guilt about leaving the odd chair, which I would have found on the farm a few years previous anyway.

Getting back on topic the best stuff I have found probably about 20 chairs, 2 stools, 5 blankets, 4 camping mats, a ghettoblaster with batteries, a lilo, various waterproof clothing, a womans RAF coat, guardian bags, any cloth bags that arent too manky looking, loads of food, cans of beans and fruit etc, breakfast bars, biscuits, uht mik and probably the equivalent of a crate of beer. Oh and the best thing of all was a pram, which we loaded all our junk on.

Who the hell do some you think you are, ok a lot of stuff does get left, but those of you that have "found really good stuff" how do you know people have left it there and are not just getting a coffee or gone to the loo.

In 2011 my girlfriend and I packed up our stuff minus tent and sleeping bags, left our bags in the porch and got a nap to get ready for the drive home. Woke up to our bags gone, we were 2 feet away, nobody could be arsed to check. If you have found something worth taking with you, you have to assume that the person who ownes it thinks the same. I am going to try and not generalise but you bunch of thieving gits......

I'm pretty sure you can usually get rubbish/recycling bags from any of the info points as well campsite stewards and maybe even from the lockups ? I don't think I was offered any on the way in even back in 2010 TBH but it's never a prob as I always have a load somewhere in Ye Olde Rucksack so using 1 for my dog ends and fag packs (but mostly the various other cr@p that peeps leave lying around me) isn't an issue. I wonder if they simply decided that giving out 180,000 bags when something perhaps embarrassingly close to 179,000 peeps aren't likely to bother using them for the intended purpose was a complete waste of time, effort and money :unsure: An old copy of the Fine Guide I have lying around seems to suggest the Info Point as being the right place to go for everything from condoms and suncream to bog rolls and recycling bags anyway.

Ha, jobsworths like you think you are making the world better when in fact you're some of the most insufferable people going.

I went to five Glastonbury festivals prior to this and left no trace.

My suitcase was full and at the weight limit, and there's no way it could possibly have fitted into my hand luggage allowance which was also full. So no it wasn't possible to take it back with me. Any other ideas on how I could have managed Glasto without a sleeping bag?

You know fuck all about me mate, so don't cast aspersions onto my character or attitude.

One sleeping bag placed next to a bin and one camp chair which would have been taken but for helping to remove a much bigger thing left behind. Across six years. I can safely say that if everyone at Glasto took the same approach to the 'Leave No Trace' campaign as I did, it wouldn't even be an issue.

However, if the rest of Glastonbury was as insufferably presumptuous and righteous as you are, fucking hell it would be intolerable.

Edited by ThomThomDrum

So by your own admission you are going the wrong way about leaving your crap on the farm. You used to be able to leave no trace but now you cant manage it. Pathetic really.

Again plan better next time and include your sleeping bag in your weight limit. Plenty of other people can manage it. Its not that difficult. No body is saying dont bring one. Just be better organised :rolleyes:

Yes I dont know you and so I judge you based on what you post on here. Thats the way these forums work frankly. (you obviously do the same) Based on what you say about how you feel its OK for you to leave your crap behind I will judge you accordingly. Indolent and self-centered..........

I asked the "leave no trace" question previously on this forum, and it seemed to me that the general consensus was:

If you have some rubbish, throw it in the bin.

If Arcade Fireman considers his sleeping bag to be rubbish, and he threw it in the bin, what's the problem? I threw all my cans and cups in the appropriate receptacles that were provided, and if it was full I put it as close as possible. I didn't realise we had to take everything home with us.

Or have I got it wrong?

And you're a righteous moron who seems to lack the insight that if everyone took my approach over the times I've been, Glastonbury would be a hell of a lot cleaner on Monday.

Still, good to hear you're cleaner than clean and have never done anything against the rules in your life.

I don't even think you believe the stuff you're coming out with now, you're just replying for the sake of it. Have you noticed you're the only one having a go here, when this is an issue that would ordinarily be something that most people on here would care about?

That's because most people are bright enough to see the big difference between me posting something like 'I always leave my tent behind, who gives a shit someone will clean it up", and what Ive actually been saying.

So what about my beer cans? And my broken flip flops that I chucked in the bin? Bearing in mind I did leave the chair and the sleeping bag by the bin. Where does the fact I helped carry a twelve man tent off the site come into it, complete with poles and metal tent pegs?

Or how about you stop judging people who clearly have the right mindset but due to circumstances couldn't take everything back? Leaving my two 'hard' items by a bin was pretty much leaving no trace as far as I'm concerned. Leaving a big tent complete with tent pegs back at the camp site would have been less so.

So what about my beer cans? And my broken flip flops that I chucked in the bin? Bearing in mind I did leave the chair and the sleeping bag by the bin. Where does the fact I helped carry a twelve man tent off the site come into it, complete with poles and metal tent pegs?

Or how about you stop judging people who clearly have the right mindset but due to circumstances couldn't take everything back? Leaving my two 'hard' items by a bin was pretty much leaving no trace as far as I'm concerned. Leaving a big tent complete with tent pegs back at the camp site would have been less so.

I asked the "leave no trace" question previously on this forum, and it seemed to me that the general consensus was:

If you have some rubbish, throw it in the bin.

If Arcade Fireman considers his sleeping bag to be rubbish, and he threw it in the bin, what's the problem? I threw all my cans and cups in the appropriate receptacles that were provided, and if it was full I put it as close as possible. I didn't realise we had to take everything home with us.

Or have I got it wrong?