Official Offsite Pre Erected Tents etc - On sale now

Guest StoneCircle

Fair point but from all the festivals I went to from 1976 to the late 80s when these restrictions started to come in at festivals, I was never aware of there being any incidents involving cars. However i do remember one year at the Elephant Fayre when some guy woke up having slept under his car convinced that he had been run over and screaming for help :)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we (me, girlfriend and two campmates) are giving this some serious thought.

Yes, the hill's a bastard, and there's the cost.

But the girlfriend, well fiancée and I are getting married later this year and we are in serious defence mode on our holiday days, so we would like the freedom should we so choose to pitch up on the Thursday or even (mercy me) the Friday morning if our honeymoon plans dictate as such. Having fought our way miserably through acres of closed campsites in Glastonburys past I quite fancy knowing that I'll have a spot - and a tent - waiting for me when I get there. Takes a lot of the stress out of the equation. Also the car park nearby is quite attractive. The showers and the "elitism" do not factor into the equation for us.

So there are other reasons that people are considering this.

Weren't the campervans parked offsite when they brought in the parking restrictions or did that come later? I think the CV fields may have been free initially too. I wasn't just refering to the pre-erected tent options, Should have been clearer.

yeah, sorry - I was thinking pre-erected tents, and not campervans. As far as I'm aware they've been offsite for as long as punters cars have been.

It'll never happen, but I agree with the idea of letting punters cars back on site. It added so much, from the simple of people being able to bring more with them, all the way thru to stalls, soundsystems, and stages. With the numbers of people there are today it would create the most amazing self-constructed city (waaay better than back then) where there was something new to explore around every corner.

Those were the days, eh? :D

yeah, sorry - I was thinking pre-erected tents, and not campervans. As far as I'm aware they've been offsite for as long as punters cars have been.

It'll never happen, but I agree with the idea of letting punters cars back on site. It added so much, from the simple of people being able to bring more with them, all the way thru to stalls, soundsystems, and stages. With the numbers of people there are today it would create the most amazing self-constructed city (waaay better than back then) where there was something new to explore around every corner.

Those were the days, eh? :D

Chuffed to bits about the dimensions,I thought they would be much smaller.We originally wanted a 4 man yurt at 600 but they were sold out so we went for the bell tent which is 2 foot wider at 500 :sarcastic:

As far as the rich and poor divide,I don't think think this will be the case,more like young and old divide

The simple fact is the older you get the more money you earn.My first Glastonbury 93,I went with a bottle of Claymore ,a bag of Whizz and about 30 quid,now I will be going with a nice single malt,about 300 quid and we will leave it at that.

There probably will be a few young Hooray's up there but generally it will be your Aunts and Uncles wanting a little less stress.

Russy your posts really do make me laugh! I can see both sides of the story, but as lots of people have said they save their hard earned pennies to justify this extra expense. People have different priorities, and the people who use WV make that theirs. I don't care if you think we're horrible toffs - it just shows you may be bigoted or jealous towards people who have more money than you (or choose to spend their money differently). I hope I bump into you so I can give you a hug :-) You havent said what you think of the CV fields? I'd be interested to know. I couldnt afford a campervan, specially with the upkeep, tax etc. And driving that from north east Scotland would be a pain! Not sure I'd want one anyway, I like camping too much.

As for the Glastonbury vibe I'm choosing WV this year to get more of the peace and love that's missing in other parts of the festival. Normally we make sure that we get there uber early on the wed, get our spot sorted (no mean feat for 30+ people in the group!). But then someone decides to put up a tent on the thurs night on top of our camp fire. I went to speak to them nicely and they tell me to F off, repeatedly. Then we have to be nice to them for the rest of the weekend because they're in the middle of our camp!

So in all I'm finding peace and love and Glastonbury spirit is generally found in more abundance in the south side of the festival (green fields, craft areas, circus fields). I can't stand pennards though so wouldnt camp there. I think there will be lots of love and lots of similar people to me at WV. perfect!

I don't agree with this extra pop tent malarky to save walking back to camp. Lazy! Definitely use lockups instead.

I don't care if people shower or not, normally I dont. I've been to glasto about 15 times and only showered once! (the really hot year, was that 2010? no q - went for it!) Too many things to do, may as well not waste it showering!

Peace x

In all likelihood, I will be utilizing the Worthy View campsite simply because I am traveling overseas to get to the festival. Not having to fly with a tent, or scramble to buy one upon landing in London sounds well worth it to me. (If there are other options that I'm not aware of, I would love to know).

Anyways, is the Worthy View location really that terrible (aside from the hill). This will be my first Glasto, so I'm totally unfamiliar with the site, but to me it seems ideal for someone like myself who foresees spending a lot of time in the late night areas, and doesn't have a lay of the land, or expertise when it comes to the scramble of securing a great camping spot on Wednesday.

In all likelihood, I will be utilizing the Worthy View campsite simply because I am traveling overseas to get to the festival. Not having to fly with a tent, or scramble to buy one upon landing in London sounds well worth it to me. (If there are other options that I'm not aware of, I would love to know).

Anyways, is the Worthy View location really that terrible (aside from the hill). This will be my first Glasto, so I'm totally unfamiliar with the site, but to me it seems ideal for someone like myself who foresees spending a lot of time in the late night areas, and doesn't have a lay of the land, or expertise when it comes to the scramble of securing a great camping spot on Wednesday.

Edited by Thearg

Edited by russycarps

I find the whole 'under canvas' experience at festivals overrated, to be honest with you. In 20-odd years of doing it I've been robbed, had my tent trashed by drunken idiots falling over it, gone entire nights without sleep due to noisy neighbours, got entangled in a domestic when a neighbour started meteing out fairly horrific abuse to his girlfriend, been trapped in the tent by people pissing onto my tent door, had a tent slashed, been thrown up on and nearly gotten my head kicked in at the IOW for intervening when my neighbours started racially abusing a steward.

In comparison, the benefit of camping for me is just proximity - and that's it. I tend not to stay up all night chatting to folk and if I was going to do it it'd be at the stone circle or Strummerville or somewhere. In fact, if there was a youth hostel or hotel on site I'd happily check in there.

I find the whole 'under canvas' experience at festivals overrated, to be honest with you. In 20-odd years of doing it I've been robbed, had my tent trashed by drunken idiots falling over it, gone entire nights without sleep due to noisy neighbours, got entangled in a domestic when a neighbour started meteing out fairly horrific abuse to his girlfriend, been trapped in the tent by people pissing onto my tent door, had a tent slashed, been thrown up on and nearly gotten my head kicked in at the IOW for intervening when my neighbours started racially abusing a steward.

then you've been exceedingly unlucky.

In over 30 years of going to festivals at tens of locations and hundreds of different events I've had absolutely none of that, except for a camera stolen from my tent (a couple of years ago) when I was stupid enough to have left it there.

The worst bit about tents is not being able to sleep in on hot days.

There's nothing else that's troubled me.

Och, I know - I'm not saying that's the been the case for everyone, just my own personal experience. At any rate, that's actually not the motivating factor in me choosing to go 'glamping' now so much as (by the odd quirk of being self employed) that it actually saves me money.

I should add I do like camping away from festivals and have done it all my life. I just don't take much away from being jammed in cheek by jowl in the mud. But I understand I'm in the minority.

I was awoken to a loud thud against my tent last year in Kidney Mead and when I eventually emerged into daylight found a huge turd smeared down the side of the tent. You can't choose your neighbours unfortunately.

At Stonehenge one year the neighbour's dog took a shine to my tent and spent the entire week I was there cocking it's leg against it. Lovely. Had a great time though :)