Gazebos

Guest Boris

I don't really see the point in taking a gazebo if you're in a small group, but if there's lots of you then it makes sense to have a communal area- particularly if it rains.

The problem is when everyone takes one I suppose, that would take up tons of camping space.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gazebos, flags, tapers, chairs in the crowd, all this has grown so much in the 5 years that I've been going alone. Lets not encourage any more of this behaviour. Gazebos are a pain in the arse and block my view of the Pyramid stage.

Edited by whisty

Our usual party of 12 or so have never taken a gazebo, but in 2010, my best friend (a glasto virgin) suffered severe heatstroke on the Friday morning, so we asked our neighbours if she could shade under their gazebo, which they happily obliged, and for which we were very grateful. Unfortunately, things went downhill and the medics struggled to get her out of our camping area, due to tent tapers, but the odd gazebo proved a quick exit route. She (and i) spent all day Friday in the medical centre, and she eventually had to leave site around 9pm that evening - she was distraught at having to go home.

I got us tickets for 2011 but had to give them up due to ill health and she chose to stay with me through my treatment and we watched it on the TV. I have a ticket for 2013 (from another friend) luckily, but unfortunately, she was one of the unlucky ones. Is it worse to have a ticket and be forced to give it up than not get one at all in the October sale - I'm undecided currently????

I'm always surprised this gets that many people's back up!

If there's a load of people camping together with their tents in a tight circle, what's the difference if there's a gazebo over the area or not?! Think the main gripe from people is when it's just a couple of people with 1 tent and a massive gazebo - that is OTT but that shouldn't mean there's a blanket ban on them.

We've had gazebos and we've never taken up any more space than if we hadn't had one - and as other have said strangers are always welcome to duck under for shelter from the rain which has happened many times over the years. We've even had one camp stewards comment "that's a textbook way to set up a gazebo" - for those wondering; bring the tents in nice and close and only use 2 out of the 3 sections for the legs - very cozy and less likely to blow away and/or let in sideways rain!

Was at one of the smaller festivals this year, they banned gazebos seemingly at the last minute and were active in making sure they werent put up to ensure everyone could get in without overcrowding. Can easily get by with a spare larger tent for everyone to sit in, like a bell tent, although im not sure this isnt just unethical space grabbing too?

I'm always surprised this gets that many people's back up!

If there's a load of people camping together with their tents in a tight circle, what's the difference if there's a gazebo over the area or not?! Think the main gripe from people is when it's just a couple of people with 1 tent and a massive gazebo - that is OTT but that shouldn't mean there's a blanket ban on them.

We've had gazebos and we've never taken up any more space than if we hadn't had one - and as other have said strangers are always welcome to duck under for shelter from the rain which has happened many times over the years. We've even had one camp stewards comment "that's a textbook way to set up a gazebo" - for those wondering; bring the tents in nice and close and only use 2 out of the 3 sections for the legs - very cozy and less likely to blow away and/or let in sideways rain!

We always take a gazebo (or at least fashion our own when we get there) but this is normally between 30 - 40 people so don't think this is unreasonable.

The taping does my head in. We try and arrive as closely together as possible and if people are going to be getting there late take their tents with us. I love the interaction with randoms coming through although the really fucked guy waving around a firelit branch was slightly worrying.

I think it depends on where you want to camp. If you are in one of the really popular areas then maybe you should accept the gazebo sacrifice. If your in one of the further out fields where space isn't at such a premium then I don't see the problem in having one.

I personally have no problem with gazebos at all when pitched considerately. Tape does my head in though. You wind your way toward your tent in a drunken stupor in the wee hours and all of a sudden ...gaaah, It's a trap!

I personally have no problem with gazebos at all when pitched considerately. Tape does my head in though. You wind your way toward your tent in a drunken stupor in the wee hours and all of a sudden ...gaaah, It's a trap!

That's the thing about tapers - you can just break through it. Now the people that put up "clothes line" guy ropes and "spiders webs" to stop people getting through - that's the ones that piss me off. My swiss makes short work of them though.

Gazebos are fine with me as long as people don't take it to the extreme. As someone else said if you want to camp somewhere popular, don't take a gazebo.

I'm another who doesn't see the problem with gazebos if used sensibly. In fact we used to take one but got fed up of lugging it in along with everything else! We'd set up a tent fairly tight to each side of the gazebo so the doors would open out into it, great for sitting around with your mates either in the morning when you're still coming round or late at night before getting your head down. Always nice to invite passing strangers in too, met quite a few decent folk over the years under the gazebo :)

I always think it's a shame - people obviously spend good money on the tents. Someone in our group claimed at least 4 pop up tents last time. My poor car was a bit of a squeeze for 4 people, plus 6 tents and all our stuff! I think he even picked up a pack of lager on the way back to.. untouched. Amazing really.