Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Have LN stopped negotiating for Hyde Park now?

What other location they got in mind?

Apparently they'd already decided to move Wireless as the demographic wasn't what Hyde Park/the Parks authority wanted (after naming a load of chart urban acts he stopped short of saying they weren't keen on the fact that it attracted a lot of young black people to an affluent area, but I got the impression that's what the guy from LN was getting at) so they must have already had another venue in mind, but there was no indication what it was.

Is it just me, or is the most surprising viewpoint on this russycarps'? No offence intended at all, but if I was expecting anyone to get angry about this on this discussion, it would have been him.

I guess the lines aren't as black and white as leftie old-Glasto-loving charitable moral crusaders versus the welly-wearing unemployed-baiting toff Tory scumbags.

Is it just me, or is the most surprising viewpoint on this russycarps'? No offence intended at all, but if I was expecting anyone to get angry about this on this discussion, it would have been him.

A little maybe but its clear that it bothers some people and not others for many reasons which is fair enough.

Although hes a Flaming Lips fan and they do the odd ad so he could be doing a fingers in the ears like me/Dylan and you/Jarvis?

Sort of like when you see a hot actress from the 80s or something these days and shes all fucked up from plastic surgery or something. I'll remember the "80s her."

Edited by The Nal

yes.. I read Live Nations announcement. There was a certain amount of 'wriggling' from them on the issue of the sound being too quiet for the punters.

On the topic of urban acts, wasn't there something about the need for the bass end of the music needing to be louder than usual, and a certain repetative element that might upset the locals... sleep.png

Victoria Park maybe?

Hyde Park is a shit venue. The stage is almost lower than the punters (well, that's how it feels) so all you ever see is the screens. The screens are great, but I quite like to be able to see the stage, even if the performers are tiny. And the sound..?..hopeless

Yeah I forgot the bit about the bass, but picked up the bit about the 'clientele' that those sort of acts attract.

"The reason for that [moving the Wireless festival in 2013] was the genre of music for Wireless – if you look at this year, Drake, Nikki Minaj, Rihanna – the genre of music was not exactly what the park wants. That's in terms of repetitive bass and clientele. We made that clear. So we already decided, 'OK, if it's not wanted, we'll take it somewhere else."

Maybe I read too much into it.

Edited by mrtourette

the sound conditions at Hyde Park up-to this summer were just about workable (tho I know some people will disagree). There's lower limits in the new contract I believe.

But it's worth noting that the comments coming from LN now about Hype Park shouldn't be taken fully at face value. There's clearly a greater purpose behind them than LN simply saying they'd prefer to use another venue.

it was hopeless. I was standing with my hands cupped behing my ears to try and make it louder...

Born In The USA! I'd been looking forward to seeing Bruce do that again, and the beginning is supposed to make the ground shake.. it was like a nursery ryhme.

I heard it in Barca, first time I'd heard the band version and the stadium shook! As did anyone within 100m of me and my drunken singing screaming!

Here's an indication of how quiet the pa was, when they cut it off completely just before the end of the show, you could still hear the on-stage sound almost as loud... some people I was with hadn't noticed the pa wasn't on anymore.

Christ. What a waste of time.

I think you're absolutely right....

clintele indeed... and in Mayfair! what were they thinking! rolleyes.gif

"Tarquin, Tarquin, come look out of the window darling, there's a coloured person on the street and not a Policeman in sight!"

Edited by mrtourette

lower limits? that'd be crazy

yep, it would. But Boris said they'd be lower limits after this year, cos the Park Laners were complaining.

Weren't LN saying the Royal Parks (or whoever it is) were asking for too much (more) money as well?

yep - but there's never been a contract signed in the history of the world where the person taking up the contract didn't want the contract to be more in their favour.

I take all of the words coming from LN right now about Hyde Park to be more about trying to undermine the shows that will get put on there by a different promoter than necessarily anything strictly truthful.

Cos if that alternative promoter does well with shows at Hyde Park, guess at whose expense that'll be?

I didn't think the Friday at HRC (Soundgarden) was too bad, although after Arcade Fire last year I was expecting poor sound. It's certainly worse than other festivlas/outdoor concerts and I think they know that they've been flying close to wind for a while over how acceptable it is.

Edited by mrtourette

I think they should knock Hyde Park as a venue on the head they way it has been for the last few years.

When The Stones did their free concert, it was right in the middle of the park, where there's a natural bowl for the punters to be able to see the stage. I've never understood why they don't use the same space.

Were you at that?

Routinely appears on both "best" and "worst" gigs ever lists.

properly great discussion/thread this. I tell you how I know it's so good, i read a post and think 'yeah, that's right', then read the next, opposite post and go 'But that's a good point'. I'm back and forth on this one and all over the shop. Marvellous.

Had a mental week at work, otherwise I'd have joined in, but couldn't add anything that hasn't been better expressed by other people, it's really set me thinking. Thanks everyone.

ha I did say earlier on in this thread that I can't believe I'm not outraged about this but I'm just not.

When I saw the flaming lips had given a song to an advert I was just happy for them to get some kind of recognition (even if it was one of the worst songs they've ever done laugh.png)

If I saw Nick Caves "Mercy Seat" used as background music for a DFS advert I'd love it (or him) no less at all.

As for hyde park, blur in 2009 was ace, but arcade fire and blur this year I will never ever go there again, even on a free ticket

Edited by russycarps

yes... I was 14 at the time, so don't remember too much about how it was musically, but I just loved the day. We came up from Brighton in the morning... I was extrememly jealous of my brother, who is a little older than me, because after the Stones, he wandered over the road to the Albert Hall to see The Who supported by Chuck Berry..... The Rolling Stones and The Who, 2 seprerate concerts in the same day...!!!

It's only from seeing the recordings of the show that I realised how ropey they were that day. I can't imagine how anyone could call it a 'best', on any level.

Jesus you've been to some historic gigs!

That Stones gig anyway. I watched 2 documentaries - one was the "best gigs ever" and the other was "the worst gigs ever" or something a few years ago. Back to back nights, both on different channels.

The "best gigs ever" show went on about how The Stones sounded great, how it was a fitting tribute to Brian with Mick reading Shelley, the butterflies being released into the air etc.

The "worst gigs ever" went on about how the Stones sounded shit, how Mick was being a c**t telling the crowd to shut up and listen to the poem (which happened), and how most of the butterflies died in the box because they'd been there all day and most of the ones who flew out died almost immediately! A lot of the crowd had dead butterflies dropping on them like bird shit! laugh.png

I know exactly how you feel megabowl. I'm in the office and the amount of swearing I just shouted at my PC screen could easily have got me fired.

The Jack White/coca-cola debacle nearly brought me to tears, but I have since justified it as it being slightly different as he wrote it specifically for them. (I am fully aware that this is me over-compensating for an artist I like a la the Nal and Dylan as mentioned earlier. I was just as mortified when Jarvis turned up in a eurostar advert not that long ago. I haven't found an excuse for that, but hey, I'm still going to see Pulp in Sheffield next month. I guess for me, even though every time it happens, I get angrier and more upset (I'm 35 and on the same side as the Nal - it angers me more every time) it never angers me enough to stop listening or seeing the band - although I would be more likely to skip certain songs if the airwaves had been saturated with them on Pepsi adverts.

It was one of the most arrogant things I've ever seen posted, and I spend a lot of time on the internet.

I find it upsetting when bands I like, particularly ones I associate with having passion and soul, flog their creations for advertising. Instead of being a moment of genius it'll be remembered as 'the song on the (whatever) advert'.

I know we live in a world where making money is the be all and end all and I'm an anachronism at-funnily enough-35 as I prefer to think there's more to life than that, but that's the way I feel. I constantly marvel at peoples greed. How much money is enough for crying out loud? Makes sense I would be upset when a band with millions in the bank sacrifices the art they poured their heart and soul into and it's place in history for a few quid more.

It's a nuanced argument but I feel let down when bands sell out. There are degrees of disappointment but it's there. I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way but it's genuinely how I feel. It's nothing to do with being 'shallow' FFS.

Sorry, I was responding to previous comments such as The Nals -

"I've never really had the experience thankfully. But its the exact opposite of "shallow". People holding a deep affection for the song are the ones who could be the most pissed off and let down by it.

How do you think early 60s counter culture kids who lived by The Times They Are a Changin' (and there were plenty!) felt when Dylan sold it to a fucking bank a few years ago? Rightly gutted I'd say. Nothing shallow about that."

Each to their own of course, but I just can't understand if you had such a deep affection for a song how you can not like that song any more just because it is now on an advert, you must have to tell yourself not to like it?

We get it, you don't understand. But not everyone sees the world the same as you. You'd do well to remember that before lecturing people on the inadequacy of their love for music that's important to them.

To be honest, everyone I know who I would class as being big music fans feels similar to this and I am surprised you've had less support than you have on this forum. Like we've said if it doesn't bother others, then that's fair enough, but it's still surprising.

I'm almost shocked, I have to be honest, especially on a knowledgeable music forum, but each to their own.

biggrin.gif

It'll never happen. (hopefully)

It won't. Not unless Damon buys Neils rights!

Edited by The Nal

it's odd when you're discussing something, and you half assume most people would agree with you, and then you start to re-evaluate.....

There is an idea of a Nal, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there

Seems an odd choice to be in the slightest bit concerned of what might happen to something you've zero control over i.e. Neiler licensing Cinnamon Girl to Whiskas. Bit "anorackey" for some of you hipsters. Seems some of you have little to be worried about! suicide.gif

Yis remind me of Take That fans ringing agony aunts on the radio when Robbie left.

Whereas I think yis should be a bit more like General Melchett when he heard that Georgina had died.