Films

Rufus Gwertigan

He hasn't done anything great since Pulp Fiction - and he only wrote half of Pulp Fiction.

He also wrote the other half of Natural Born Killers - the only other really decent film he has a hand in. So nothing decent in nearly 20 years.

Edited by 5co77ie
  • Upvote 1

True Romance was okay, better as the Tarantino cut than the Scott cut. And yeah, Kill Bill had some moments. And NBK, don't know what his version would have been like, I liked Stone's take on it. But Res Dogs/Pulp Fiction are stone-cold classics.

Have tickets for Killing Softly at a non-plex cinema. Have a taxi booked too. It's a cinema you can take a pint of beer into. Big comfy chairs. Tables for the drinks. All good stuff.

I'm going to get a pint of orange juice and pour my own rum into it. I'm cheap like that.

Saw Dredd the other night and really enjoyed it. My other half on the other hand proclaimed it as the worst film she had ever seen in her life. Well that gets her back for the time she dragged me along to watch Chicago.

Chicago is an amazing film! The actual musical is better obviously but i thought it was a brilliant musical based film! (That said if you don't like west end musicals type stuff, your never going like it as a film.)

I know not of the cinema of the orient I'm afraid. I did like Seven Samauri though. And Yosagi Yojimbo on the Commodore 64. Oh, and Oldboy and the baby cart films. Some of the artsy crouching tiger type films too. And Bruce Lee.

And the ballad of Ricky Oh.

Memento was very good, Insomnia was very good, some of Inception was good but most was just shit, some of the first Batman film was good, the first hour of the 2nd Batman was great with the remaining 90 minutes and the entire 3rd film being truly, truly terrible.

I did like Following though. Interesting stuff but his recent output is just pandering to the audience with mashed up nonsense to keep people with no attention spans "up" for every single second. Zero character development, plot holes like swiss cheese and 45 minutes minimum of post 9/11 waffle at the end of every film.

Same for The Prestige. The Illusionist was far far superior I thought. But Nolan makes films now to make you think its deep and well thought out but if you stand back and look at some of his "Kubrick moments" they actually just dance on the surface.

Nobody seems to notice though because he paces everything at Twitter speed so in the end, nobody really gives a fuck.

I fear for the future if the spinning top in Inception is as deep as mainstream cinema goes now.

Edited by The Nal

Memento was very good, Insomnia was very good, some of Inception was good but most was just shit, some of the first Batman film was good, the first hour of the 2nd Batman was great with the remaining 90 minutes and the entire 3rd film being truly, truly terrible.

I did like Following though. Interesting stuff but his recent output is just pandering to the audience with mashed up nonsense to keep people with no attention spans "up" for every single second. Zero character development, plot holes like swiss cheese and 45 minutes minimum of post 9/11 waffle at the end of every film.

Same for The Prestige. The Illusionist was far far superior I thought. But Nolan makes films now to make you think its deep and well thought out but if you stand back and look at some of his "Kubrick moments" they actually just dance on the surface.

Nobody seems to notice though because he paces everything at Twitter speed so in the end, nobody really gives a fuck.

I fear for the future if the spinning top in Inception is as deep as mainstream cinema goes now.

Haven't seen Memento or 3rd Batman film, but I agree with most of this. Inception's pretty cool but it's nowhere near as intelligent and challenging as a lot of people made it out to be.

I felt there is more subtext to Inception it was generally given credit for. But I was ripped-to-the-tits when I saw it so I might have been "bringing to text" as actors say. But it was, as South Park noted, lots of exposition to dramatic music. But had some really snappy dialogue too.

I did feel it was more intelligent than the other supposedly intelligent sci-fi film Sunshine (which was pretty much the most stupid sci-fi film since, well, any previous film set on Mars that wasn't called Total Recall.

To the person who hasn't seem Memento... you're hereby banned form this forum until you have.

Edited by Spartacus Mars

To the person who hasn't seem Memento... you're hereby banned form this forum until you have.

Genuinely laughed out loud at that.

Sunshine was bloody awful. I rewatched it a few months ago to see if I was wrong. I wasn't.

As for oriental cinema, I'm no expert at all (far from it) but can recommend a US remake of a korean film called 'funny games', dark, dark comedy (which I admit has one scene that fucks up the rest of the film, but ignore that and it is all win).

Memento is by far my favourite Nolan film. One of my all time favourite films.

Sunshine I actually like. The last 30 minutes are pretty bad though. It was a solid Sci-Fi film until it went on Autopilot when they found out an astronaut was still alive.

As far Oriental films...

Old Boy

Memories Of Murder

Infernal Affairs (Far superior than The Departed)

The Good The Bad The Weird

Zatoichi

3 Iron

Are all well worth checking out.