Films

Rufus Gwertigan

There's still a couple of flicks I want to see this year mostly Django Unchained and Wreck It Ralph, possibly Skyfall too if it gets good reviews.

I'd not come across Wreck It Ralph until I saw an advert for it in the cvinema - an original premise, a western and a James Bond movie though make me think it must be Christmas, if I watch them at the cinema I'll have to find something else to do when they're shown over the festive period in a year or two, and that would mean getting off the sofa..

I enjoyed it at the pictures, but it was silly things like the staple gun (I'd had my appointment at the hospital that day where they explained they would be using a staple gun to hold everything together) that made me and my daughter look at each other and grin.

I enjoyed David. I enjoyed the father/daughter/son I never had thing. I liked the design and lots about it. It just didn't grip me watching it at home like it did at the cinema (where the great soundtrack really works in the final segment, with the rising tension and the rising paranoia in the soundtrack building to a climax as the ship crashes down). I don't know, I guess I'm just saying I can appreciate why some poeple weren't as impressed with it as I initially was. Some films going to the cinema to see it is an essential, it makes it an experience, rather than just 90 minutes of chewing gum for the brain.

I will leave it a few months/a year or more now, before re-watching it. Alien 3 took some getting to love (and I do love it) and resurrection also gets less love from the fans than other films (again, I love it, but I love the distinct styles of each 4 films).

I can agree with Jump's summation, a disjointed 3rd act, cynically tacked on after argument with the studio so they have something to put in the trailers to sell the flim, is becoming more common, I think.

I do not count AVP films as being Alien movies. I count them as being action films featuring the franchise.

@5co77ie, Belly wheelers! Great reference, I will certainly keep an eye open if I go back to see it again. Some of the references are quite plain though. My daughter had never read a single strip but when walking home and discussing the film her eye had also caught Kenny who? and Chopper.

I have a similar taste. I find them to be visually impressive for their age and, ok, some of it is watching a hot woman with guns dance through lasers in slomo while dressed like a tank girl wet dream, but an old man is allowed his guilty pleasures. A little smile curled on my lips when I saw the trailer at dredd.

There is something about the RE films that keeps me interested enough to watch each new one, but never go back and watch them again. I do wonder whether it is worth watching the first films again.

One thing that worries me is how can Tarantino make his usual pop culture references in a western?

he did well in a world war II setting?

I'm guessing just by making more subtle references to characters, films and music from old westerns as opposed to literally talking about pop culture

I'm very much looking forward to this one :)

There is something about the RE films that keeps me interested enough to watch each new one, but never go back and watch them again. I do wonder whether it is worth watching the first films again.

Same here. Never considered them a re-watch outside the cinema. I was lucky enough to see the first one on shrooms in Holland. The start of the film had several teasing "will the gore start now?" moments, such as an elevator lift that kind of threatened to start the claret and carnage. That brought me up nicely. Been a fan ever since. A downside was the use of the signature "Trinity corner run-jump" move from The Matrix - that was a lame and a bit naff. (I'm high maintenance like that).

On the other hand the subsequent films have gotten better and better. The last one had great cinematography - though not as good as the Dredd high-res slow-mo. Anderston needs to rip-off Dredd's tech, but not the actual shots.

Bonus - it's a fit woman in a Spice Girl costume fighting mutant zombies in slow mo!!

Edited by Spartacus Mars

he did well in a world war II setting?

I'm guessing just by making more subtle references to characters, films and music from old westerns as opposed to literally talking about pop culture

I'm very much looking forward to this one smile.png

He still managed to fit in talk of the history of cinema. sarcastic_blum.gif

Are you talking about his dreadful remake of Inglorious Barstewards?

has he made any other films set in World War II? wink.png

also, it's hardly a remake. Tarantino borrowed the name but the story lines, apart from being during the war, are worlds apart.

Edited by nightcrawler13

I enjoyed Inglorious basterds. For me Tarantino is all about great dialogue. There is a film (I don't know the name) where he has a cameo and he spends the film in the kitchen at a party, ranting about cinema, before a big speech about how Top Gun is all allegory for gay love and ends with the line "you can be my wing man, any time". Wish I could remember the film, I just randomly saw it one night and nothing else about it remains in my memory.

@Mr Mars, wholly agree. If it means more shots like that bath scene from Dredd I am all for it. One of the greatest things I've ever seen and makes me miss taking drugs :P

When art is that good it reminds me of a salvador dali quote, when asked if he took drugs to create his work he replied: "take drugs? I am drugs" (paraphrased, obviously, don't have the actual quote to hand)

Actually "Quentin's" Top Gun speech was written by Roger Avery, who co-wrote Pulp Fiction and who wrote the really rather good Silent Hill.

Also, though Top Gun could be really, really gay (evidence below) the speech was wrong. SWM says the final line of the film is "you can ride my tail any time", as you say it's "you can be my wing-man any time".

Edited by Spartacus Mars