Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Why do I never listen to the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes? The Devil Inside in just terrible. They really dont make possession films like they used to and the "found footage" genre is just so used up.

the film is all right in parts, the fact some people actually believe that it's 'found footage' is crazy, so to end the film with a URL is just... meh

Dredd.... Go see it, now.

If you don't like 3d, tough, it's fucking awesome. The slo-mo (drug that makes time slow down) scenes are stunning in 3d and at one point near the end I saw half the cinema reach out trying to grab the bits floating around :lol:

You have these beautiful art-house slow motion high-def scenes of water and broken glass, which is mixed with the the most intense GOOD action I've seen for a long time.

I've never read a Dredd comic, but I think I'm going to see if I can get a hold of some :)

the film is all right in parts, the fact some people actually believe that it's 'found footage' is crazy, so to end the film with a URL is just... meh

Dredd.... Go see it, now.

If you don't like 3d, tough, it's fucking awesome. The slo-mo (drug that makes time slow down) scenes are stunning in 3d and at one point near the end I saw half the cinema reach out trying to grab the bits floating around :lol:

I have not said I dont like 3d I just cant process the images so dont see the effect. What I do get is a blinding headache or just feel seasick.

Cell 211 is a cracking film. Brutally violent, but it didn't feel gratuitous, and a some superb performances.

We dont get enough mention of foreign language films. However this is yet another film that Hollywood is remaking. I am not a film snob but I think that listening to a film in the "original" language adds something to it.

I have not said I dont like 3d I just cant process the images so dont see the effect. What I do get is a blinding headache or just feel seasick.

sorry, the second part wasn't aimed at you specifically :P For someone who is wanting to get into Dredd would you say to start from the beginning or just go with individual graphics?

I'm just aware there are a load of people on the forums who don't like 3d and it would be a shame to miss out on something so pretty/awesome, so if you have a chance to see Dredd make sure ya do :)

I'm just aware there are a load of people on the forums who don't like 3d and it would be a shame to miss out on something so pretty/awesome, so if you have a chance to see Dredd make sure ya do :)

The slo mo scenes were amazing to watch and 3D like the scene you mentioned previously was great but I found the film so dull.No plot,very little going on.

Dredd 3D was freaking awesome, and the 3D was done masterfully.

That said if 3D generally gives you vertigo see it in 2D, but SEE IT. Sure "plot? what plot?" (and the answer is "The Raid") but the first Dredd doesn't need a plot, it needs to set the scene. Mega City 1. The Judges. Dredd. The social chaos. Beautifully shot, and humour so dry you need to lick your lips to notice it. If this franchise gets going plot will happen, and by the time it does it'll happen with characters we know and care about in a city we understand.

Saw Wolf Creek a while ago with Australian flatmates. Very well done. Really nasty. The Collector on the other hand was just retarded and a waste of a portion of my life watching it.

Will give Chronicle a whirl. Looks interesting.

As for Hollywood remakes of foreign films, then can and often are truly awful (e.g. REC to Quanantine), but good remakes do happen, 12 Monkeys, The Grudge and The Departed I liked to different degrees.

Finally got to watch Chronicle.

It's like the story of Darth Vader, done right, in just one movie as opposed to three.

Bit like Akira too.

I loved Chronicle, alot of people (myself included) have made the Akira comment, I think the finale is what really makes it. I liked your Darth Vader analogy, hadn't considered that.

Yeah, for me I prefer 2d as I get double vision and the effect doesn't work so great for me. Several others have mentioned headaches/seasickness as their reason for avoiding 3d.

Dredd's high speed photography is amazing, 3d really adds to that, but sadly is not right for everyone. I look forward to the day they work out a method that is (current 3d is, to be fair, about a million times better than the other methods).

Apparently Wolf Creek is the Australian's answer to Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Filmed in HD Handy cam and meant to be scary as shit. Think it'll be a long time till I pluck up the courage to watch it.

I have seen Wolf Creek and Wrong Turn, and can't remember what happens in which film.

Has anyone seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil? Its a spoof of those sorts of horror films and is one of the funniest films I have seen in ages. The first few minutes made me think it was going to be some Scary Movie style piece of crap, but it soon becomes something much cleverer and funnier.

Does anyone know is there anything on the end of Dredd once the credits wrap? I've watched it twice now (for all the 2000ad references -Kenny Who? etc) both times we've not been able to stay until the final curtain.

And the uniforms are growing on me - there's a few classic angles where the eagle looks 3D I'd not noticed first time out.

A2MrRjvCcAA_pal.jpg

...and now everyone else has mentioned it the bikes are pants - apparently that's because the ones in the Stallone film couldn't go around corners.

And Anderson is 21 (21?) that means it was set 27 years ago (around 2108- I think the female Chief Judge must be McGruder) ! Nearly 30 years of Dredd history to catch up on in future editions! Fantastic!

...and talking of which - no white helmet for the rookie?

I think that Origins & Democracy talk was pre this Dredd story. Surely having Judges Alvarez and Guthrie on board for this already suggest it could be The Pit - Sector 301? Although Garland here throws practically everything except Judge Cal into the mix - http://screenrant.com/dredd-sequel-trilogy-story-alex-garland/

Edited by 5co77ie

Gnah, just want hi def version now to be able to enjoy from the comfort of my wherever I sit.

I like the single cell image 5co77ie. I left during titles sadly. These days it's not so easy for me to sit in a cinema chair so the days of me sitting til the end of the credit roll in the hope of some pixar like bonus media hidden through/at the end of the titles are over. I'll youtube them when I get home these days :)

I'm so glad that Dredd has been as much a hit with the fans as it seems to have been here. There are films and then there are films that matter and this film has mattered to me more than any other in a long time. I don't know how it has been received in the wider world, I don't really read film review sites or anywhere apart from here where I have seen discussion of it, but I hope very much that they take everything they did with this film and use that promise to make more great films.

I'd love to see the dark judges in a future film.

Nice spot, when you mentioned the helmet thing previously it sort of pinged in my mind that she had a helmet that wasn't white briefly when first shown, but I hadn't made the association at the time.

I am tempted to go and see it again. I haven't watched a film at the cinema twice since back to the future.

I watched Prometheus again now the 720p is out, I now realise that much of my enjoyment when seeing it at the cinema was the excitement of going to see the film and how much I'd been looking forward to it, rather than the film's actual quality. It might have been my state of mind when I re-watched it, but I found myself easily distracted and far from gripped, watching it on a tablet while I played a game/browsed the net/posted here on a pc.

I watched Prometheus again now the 720p is out, I now realise that much of my enjoyment when seeing it at the cinema was the excitement of going to see the film and how much I'd been looking forward to it, rather than the film's actual quality. It might have been my state of mind when I re-watched it, but I found myself easily distracted and far from gripped, watching it on a tablet while I played a game/browsed the net/posted here on a pc.

I actually really enjoyed Prometheus, although (yet) another sequel could see me losing interest- i was also hyped about going (as I was with Dredd). I thought that too worked on the big screen and the alienating feeling of it wasn't noticeable until I left the cinema on my own, my state of mind made it more so.

That's it for films to look forward to now - apart from The Hobbit i guess.

I recommend seeing Dredd again - Watching it separated by a few weeks made it just as good second time around. I still forgot to check the crowd for fat guys with wheels - I'll save that for the DVD release.

Edited by 5co77ie

I liked Prometheus but I think of it as 2 movies, the 1st 2/3 is a thinky sci-fi film and then towards the end when it turns into a Raimi b-movie (the medic bed scene screamed Evil Dead to me) whilst both are ok in their own right together they don't really work.

There's still a couple of flicks I want to see this year mostly Django Unchained and Wreck It Ralph, possibly Skyfall too if it gets good reviews.