• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

Another thing about Arctics on day tickets is that, I think it's fair to say, most Arctics fans are around the demographic of most weekend ticket buyers. I get the feeling that with day ticket buyers that its probably older (than the 16-21 demo) people that are only interested in a couple of bands an can leave all the other stuff.

Massive conjecture I know but I think that makes sense.

Another thing about Arctics on day tickets is that, I think it's fair to say, most Arctics fans are around the demographic of most weekend ticket buyers. I get the feeling that with day ticket buyers that its probably older (than the 16-21 demo) people that are only interested in a couple of bands an can leave all the other stuff.

A couple of my friends have only gone for day tickets the last two years, say if Arctics headlined, along with Arcade Fire and QOTSA, they'd probably just get Arctics day tickets. But that's just a couple of my mates, I think your thinking is probably more accurate than a couple of outliers. But also if say Arcade Fire and Pearl Jam, instead of QOTSA, were the other two headliners, I think it would put off a lot of Arctics fans from getting weekend tickets anyway

A couple of my friends have only gone for day tickets the last two years, say if Arctics headlined, along with Arcade Fire and QOTSA, they'd probably just get Arctics day tickets. But that's just a couple of my mates, I think your thinking is probably more accurate than a couple of outliers. But also if say Arcade Fire and Pearl Jam, instead of QOTSA, were the other two headliners, I think it would put off a lot of Arctics fans from getting weekend tickets anyway

And it'd be the best set of headliners in years. I can't actually think of a better set for me in any previous year. 2009's probably closest, but Arcade Fire and Pearl Jam probably pips Radiohead and Kings of Leon, especially as Arctic Monkeys were shite. 2006 was good for me, too, but Franz Ferdinand would be a bit disappointing as a headliner.

Yeah but they could easily put The Vaccines below Arctic Monkeys and sell it out, and use QOTSA below someone else who requires a stronger undercard.

I'm kinda working on the basis that The Vaccines may take the year off to return later. And yup I mentioned that too about QOTSA on a different day and I think it's a wise move.

Yup I'd agree with that.

Yup, many more people I know would be more tempted by a weekend ticket if Arctics and QOTSA headlined separate days than if Arctics and Pearl Jam did. It would be the difference between the fest cashing in on £100 and £220

And it'd be the best set of headliners in years. I can't actually think of a better set for me in any previous year. 2009's probably closest, but Arcade Fire and Pearl Jam probably pips Radiohead and Kings of Leon, especially as Arctic Monkeys were shite. 2006 was good for me, too, but Franz Ferdinand would be a bit disappointing as a headliner.

Don't see AF happening. For all the stuff they've tried this year and could try, I don't see them changing the return policy on a band as it keeps the fest fresh and different from others out there.

Just to note, as well as Arctics, KOL were shite in 2009 as well and judging by every UK show they've done since nothing has changed.

Edited by thewayiam

Don't see AF happening. For all the stuff they've tried this year and could try, I don't see them changing the return policy on a band as it keeps the fest fresh and different from others out there.

Just to note, as well as Arctics, KOL were shite in 2009 as well and judging by every UK show they've done since nothing has changed.

KOL were shite at Reading, but I've heard they were decent at Leeds. Yeah I saw them this year and didn't think much of it.

I also don't think Arcade Fire will play R&L. Think they'll headline IOW or Bestival, and maybe Glastonbury if their current options fall through, or if Eavis is talking balls.

I assume you've been to every UK KOL show since?

KOL were shite at Reading, but I've heard they were decent at Leeds. Yeah I saw them this year and didn't think much of it.

I also don't think Arcade Fire will play R&L. Think they'll headline IOW or Bestival, and maybe Glastonbury if their current options fall through, or if Eavis is talking balls.

I very much doubt it, R&L wouldn't get them 1st. I think glasto depends if they actually want to.

I think iow will be Blur and AC/DC then Biffy or maybe Green Day, even Mumford are up there but I don't think AF for some reason. Bestival

I assume you've been to every UK KOL show since?

I reckon people backing it up since variously counts. Reading shite, Werchter this year shite from people on here and people we met at T. V fest attendees this year - do you want to know or is it fairly clear?

the fact they made an album and then agreed to do shows while reporting to nme they weren't right or too drunk to do it, they need to fuck off for a few years.

I very much doubt it, R&L wouldn't get them 1st. I think glasto depends if they actually want to.

I think iow will be Blur and AC/DC then Biffy or maybe Green Day, even Mumford are up there but I don't think AF for some reason. Bestival

I reckon people backing it up since variously counts. Reading shite, Werchter this year shite from people on here and people we met at T. V fest attendees this year - do you want to know or is it fairly clear?

the fact they made an album and then agreed to do shows while reporting to nme they weren't right or too drunk to do it, they need to fuck off for a few years.

Doubt what? You just agreed with what I said...

Kings of Leon went down well in the Werchter thread on here. They were in lots of people's top 10.

Edited by Will-2609

Except, people have said they were good at Leeds, thetime said he enjoyed them at Werchter more than expected, people over in the V Fest forum said they thoroughly enjoyed KOL. I've seen a lot of people on twitter who went to the two arena shows, who also said they were bloody brilliant.

And if you read the article, it was Jared who was drunk, for one night, not the whole band constantly.

I think you need to fuck off for a few years.

Then again, the board would suffer without your input.

I'll do one of these and see what people think.

Glastonbury: Kasabian, Fleetwood Mac, Elbow.
R/L: QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire.
V: Oasis, Mumford & Sons.
Download: Avenged Sevenfold, Aerosmith, Van Halen.
IoW: Florence and the Machine, Kings of Leon, Blur.
Bestival: Chase + Status, Foals, Neil Young.
TitP: Biffy Clyro, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis.

and for bonus points:

Latitude: The Vaccines, Portishead, New Order.
Rock Ness: Ben Howard, Calvin Harris, Faithless.

HRC: Pearl Jam, Biffy Clyro.
BST Hyde Park: Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Daft Punk x2, Rod Stewart.

Doubt what? You just agreed with what I said...

Kings of Leon went down well in the Werchter thread on here. They were in lots of people's top 10.

I wasn't trying to disagree with you

Except, people have said they were good at Leeds, thetime said he enjoyed them at Werchter more than expected, people over in the V Fest forum said they thoroughly enjoyed KOL. I've seen a lot of people on twitter who went to the two arena shows, who also said they were bloody brilliant.

And if you read the article, it was Jared who was drunk, for one night, not the whole band constantly.

I think you need to fuck off for a few years.

Then again, the board would suffer without your input.

The feelings mutual but it's not going to happen so we'll leave it at that lol. KOL get on stage and fans wait for that one or two songs, probably the reason why they themselves have considered dropping that particular song from their setlists, watch the moaning then!

I'll do one of these and see what people think.

Glastonbury: Kasabian, Fleetwood Mac, Elbow. - I think it's too weak myself

R/L: QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire. - that 3rd isn't happening, it's wishful

V: Oasis, Mumford & Sons. - can't rule it out but you'd think one of the other

Download: Avenged Sevenfold, Aerosmith, Van Halen. I think they'll fail on Van Halen

IoW: Florence and the Machine, Kings of Leon, Blur. - good a shout as any, Flo for her skips the mind

Bestival: Chase + Status, Foals, Neil Young. - It is as good any any said but with the capacity increase they have structure now to get bigger headers and move closer to that major fest mark. Neil or Lionel are good shouts but it's AF for me

TitP: Biffy Clyro, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis. - the last one if they are up for it yes

and for bonus points:

Latitude: The Vaccines, Portishead, New Order. I question The Vaccines, by that time next year they may be too big for this slot if they are touted as subs as the next stage. A lattitude header is generally a 3rd place act at R&L for eg.

Rock Ness: Ben Howard, Calvin Harris, Faithless. - I think it's a tricky one if it even happens but Rock Ness would be silly to not be trying to seal C&S. Need a bigger name than Ben really. I think Faithless will go T if about and offered.

HRC: Pearl Jam, Biffy Clyro. - Biffy would fit in with a slot at T too as in they rarely have exclusives.

BST Hyde Park: Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Daft Punk x2, Rod Stewart. - I think FM will do this, or HRC but makes sense as much. Rod is a good shout as is Daft Punk is about

Updated

Looks Likely

QOTSA - If not headlining, they'll surely be subbing

Arctic Monkeys - No rival festivals stand in the way

Could Well Happen

Pearl Jam - New album, will probably do R&L or Download

Paramore - Benn said he sees them headlining next time they're here

Mumford and Sons - They'll probably be booked for one major UK fest next summer

The Killers - 10th annversary of Hot Fuss, haven't played since 2008

Kings of Leon - Seems unlikely if AM are booked, but new album and a 5 year gap makes it a possibility

The Prodigy - If the new album is successful, they will definitely be headline size, and would attract a large crowd

Arcade Fire - They only played in 2010, but the new album will surely make this band even bigger, and would make a great booking for the festival

Unlikely, but they could get booked

RATM - They're doing LA rising next year, so a couple of UK tour dates seems possible, but they'd probably need some new material. Also, the LA rising dates make R&L a lot less likely than the likes of Download and Glastonbury

Stone Roses - Still in demand and they sort of owe Reading fest for their famously awful 1996 performance. Will they be at Glasto instead though?

Depeche Mode - Look likely for Glasto, and they don't seem to fit R&L's demographic, but then again, did The Cure?

Blur - Rumoured for Isle Of Wight festival, and would make a great booking for R&L if they pull it off, but will they still be touring?

Jay-Z - Melvin may not want to book 2 rap headliners in successive years, plus he would probably cost loads to book

Kanye West - See above. Plus he's a massive c*nt

The Black Keys - It would only be 2 years since they last played, and their new album would need to be as successful as El Camino for them to headline

Metallica

Extremely Unlikely. Next to no chance of these playing

AC/DC - New album supposedly coming out. Their demands at Download 2009 may be too much for Melv though

Black Sabbath - Apparently, they stop touring after this year

Oasis - Even if they do reform, they will most likely do V or Glasto instead, but who knows?

Daft Punk - But come on, how awesome would it be?

RHCP - Next to no chance that they'll be touring at that time and they are a terrible live band

I wasn't trying to disagree with you

The feelings mutual but it's not going to happen so we'll leave it at that lol. KOL get on stage and fans wait for that one or two songs, probably the reason why they themselves have considered dropping that particular song from their setlists, watch the moaning then!

Bestival: Chase + Status, Foals, Neil Young. - It is as good any any said but with the capacity increase they have structure now to get bigger headers and move closer to that major fest mark. Neil or Lionel are good shouts but it's AF for me

Latitude: The Vaccines, Portishead, New Order. I question The Vaccines, by that time next year they may be too big for this slot if they are touted as subs as the next stage. A lattitude header is generally a 3rd place act at R&L for eg.

Oh sorry, I thought you were saying you doubted what I was saying.

It's not KOL's fault if people do that. They could put on the best gig of their lives and that would still be the case. Doesn't make them a bad live band.

Bestival's capacity increase is only to accommodate more staff etc. There's no more punters.

Bloc Party would have been sub size at R&L this year. Latitude can easily have an R&L sub-sized act, especially when they'd be a weak sub, as The Vaccines would be.

Looks Likely

Could Well Happen

Kings of Leon - Seems unlikely if AM are booked, but new album and a 5 year gap makes it a possibility

The Prodigy - If the new album is successful, they will definitely be headline size, and would attract a large crowd

Arcade Fire - They only played in 2010, but the new album will surely make this band even bigger, and would make a great booking for the festival

RATM - They're doing LA rising next year, so a couple of UK tour dates seems possible, but they'd probably need some new material. Also, the LA rising dates make R&L a lot less likely than the likes of Download and Glastonbury

Stone Roses - Still in demand and they sort of owe Reading fest for their famously awful 1996 performance. Will they be at Glasto instead though?

Depeche Mode - Look likely for Glasto, and they don't seem to fit R&L's demographic, but then again, did The Cure?

Blur - Rumoured for Isle Of Wight festival, and would make a great booking for R&L if they pull it off, but will they still be touring?

Jay-Z - Melvin may not want to book 2 rap headliners in successive years, plus he would probably cost loads to book

The Black Keys - It would only be 2 years since they last played, and their new album would need to be as successful as El Camino for them to headline

Metallica

AC/DC - New album supposedly coming out. Their demands at Download 2009 may be too much for Melv though

Oasis - Even if they do reform, they will most likely do V or Glasto instead, but who knows?

RHCP - Next to no chance that they'll be touring at that time and they are a terrible live band

From what Neil's said in the Glasto section, it sounds as though Depeche Mode may have finished touring by Glastonbury 2014, so definitely wouldn't be around for R&L. Just thought I'd say in case you want to add that. :)

From what Neil's said in the Glasto section, it sounds as though Depeche Mode may have finished touring by Glastonbury 2014, so definitely wouldn't be around for R&L. Just thought I'd say in case you want to add that. :)

Cheers Will, I'll add that when I post the thread up :)

If anyone else has any more info on them acts, please comment

Looks Likely

Could Well Happen

Metallica

I genuinely think 5 years is absolute minimum and the vast majority of the time it'll be a turnover of 6+. Arctics may just get away with it, but KoL aren't a big enough or rare enough act for them to get away with it, and while everyone here would love Arcade Fire, I cannot see them being at R+L in any way. If they do the early festival circuit they'll be at Glasto, and if the late cycle they'll do Bestival. They only just fit into the R+L style and wouldn't be booked so soon after their last slot - particularly if another recently headlining act is. I'd downgrade both of them at least 1 level.

I think AC/DC are more likely than you've marked them (not vastly, but a bit). They've said that they won't be bringing their full stage show ala DL09 to festivals now, DL or Glasto wouldn't book them, which would leave only R+L, IOW and HRC (if it happens) as festival options for them in the UK. It may be a bit away from the last 2 lineups, but they're a major ticket seller - far moreso than the likes of The Cure/Depeche Mode/Pearl Jam, and I expect the organisers will want to emphasise that there's still rock playing a part at the lineup.

I genuinely think 5 years is absolute minimum and the vast majority of the time it'll be a turnover of 6+. Arctics may just get away with it, but KoL aren't a big enough or rare enough act for them to get away with it, and while everyone here would love Arcade Fire, I cannot see them being at R+L in any way. If they do the early festival circuit they'll be at Glasto, and if the late cycle they'll do Bestival. They only just fit into the R+L style and wouldn't be booked so soon after their last slot - particularly if another recently headlining act is. I'd downgrade both of them at least 1 level.

I think AC/DC are more likely than you've marked them (not vastly, but a bit). They've said that they won't be bringing their full stage show ala DL09 to festivals now, DL or Glasto wouldn't book them, which would leave only R+L, IOW and HRC (if it happens) as festival options for them in the UK. It may be a bit away from the last 2 lineups, but they're a major ticket seller - far moreso than the likes of The Cure/Depeche Mode/Pearl Jam, and I expect the organisers will want to emphasise that there's still rock playing a part at the lineup.

The rumour in the Glastonbury section is that Eavis is after them, actually. :P

I think AC/DC are more likely than you've marked them (not vastly, but a bit). They've said that they won't be bringing their full stage show ala DL09 to festivals now, DL or Glasto wouldn't book them, which would leave only R+L, IOW and HRC (if it happens) as festival options for them in the UK.

Neil says there's a bid from glasto for them. Glasto and HRC/BST/IOW sounds like a good shout and maybe TITP