2013 tickets..

Guest markeee

Just wondering, what with there being no Glasto in 2012 and tickets for 2013 prob going on sale in october 2012,..I wonder if the lack of glasto 2012 will mean less people trying for tickets? obviously still 100s of thousands will try but I mean will there be less than normal because it wont be fresh in peoples minds as it isnt on till 2013..will some people forget etc?

obviously none of us on here will, but that goes without saying :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So long as it doesn't return to the bad old days of 2008. Still can't believe that tix didn't sell out until the Thursday during the festival I think it was. Quite happy if the year off reduces demand a little through competitive perspective gained from the year off. It can sell out over a couple of days instead of a couple of hours for a change and hopefully fill with more people who want to go for the festi and not just for one band.

I'd say that demand is likely to be greater because of a year off - tho that's with everything else being equal, which it might not be.

Festivals seem to be falling in popularity somewhat, tho whether that's driven by the effect of the economic crisis on people or it's that they're generally falling out of fashion I'm not entirely sure right now (tho I'd side with the second of those if I had to).

Anyway, each year there's a new bunch of people who want to go and are able to go because they're of the right age or have changed to the right mindset. So after a year off, they'll be double these newbies.

Of those that have gone before and will go again, some of those will miss the occasional year - and of course they have no choice about missing 2012. So nearly all of those will be in for a ticket for 2013, when at other points only half of them would be.

Will the numbers of the 'been before but never going again' types have increased by two years worth rather than just one to cover the increases in those two items above? I can't see it.

So I reckon the numbers wanting to go will be higher overall. The one thing that might favour the obsessives in getting a ticket is that 'newbies' might have the ticket sale info pass them by because they'll be less talk overall about Glastonbury next summer.

Another thing with newbies is that they may be less aware of how to actually stand a chance of getting hold of tickets. As you suggest, they may be less well prepared on ticket day, forget to register, forget to get up on time, have fewer 'connections' with the right people on Facebook etc.

I'd say there will be more competition now likely for 2013 festival punters in the saturated festival market - people would have had more exposure to other festivals in 2012 and consiquently be more aware of the choice. There are more local options in some cases not too, making say, a trip all the way down from the North to Glasto somewhat more expensive and less desirable for some. Weather too I think helped to make a big contribution towards the 2008 poor ticket sales for Glasto - a few more wet years or wet high profile festivals could put sufficient people off to make a difference (I would say this has also contributed to festivals 'becoming less fashionable' as well - I think they are becoming associated with an 'unpleasant wet experience' with some and also through the media who lap up stories of wet festivals). If wet in the run up to ticket day, that could even be enough to reduce demand on the day.

In reality, all the issues mentioned on here will likely play a part in defining demand. It is the entent to which they do so and coincide that might matter.

Oh dear, I hope there's not an increased demand for tickets, but there's no point worrying about it. We'll find out in October 2012.

We only got ours in the last of the resales, with just a couple of hundred tickets left.

It seems that the Facebook/social network groups are at an advantage when getting tickets, and while I have some lovely electronic friends I only feel comfortable passing out my bank details to family, or very close friends. So it will be me and my boy manning the computers on T day again.

It's definately ewasier getting tickets if you know what you're doing, you can pick up alot of tips on here. If newbies looking for tickets come on here first they will have as much chance as the rest of us but if they are going in blind I would say they'd have less a chance. This doesn't neccesarily only count for newbies, I'd imagine there's plenty of people who've been a few times who are still unorganised come ticket day.

From this years experience I'd say its more about Facebook contacts that any other resource, including this one. This years festival was Glastonbury sponsored by Facebook. i can even see tickets being sold through there in future if See latch on to the potential markets there within. Shame as I think it would be a better festival if it was less dominated by narcissists ;)

From this years experience I'd say its more about Facebook contacts that any other resource, including this one.

Nope, it's about the size of your buying group.

Round up all of your TRUSTWORTHY friends (cos you'll have to give them your card details), and have them all try for tickets for everyone in the group. Anyone who gets the buying page buys as many tickets as they're able to for the group. Repeat until you've got all of the tickets you need.

How you're in contact with the other people in your buying group as you buy your tickets makes no difference. It's simply the case that the more tries there are at trying to get the ticket page, the more chance there is of getting the ticket page.

There's no "if I try from work I get an advantage" or any other user-controllable technical factor that gives an advantage. Someone is going to be getting the ticket page at any moment, and that comes down to nothing more than the luck of the draw - but the more times you try getting the ticket page the greater proportion of requests for that ticket page you'll be making against others, and so the more chance you'll have.

Don't go falling for any other "if you do this, it gives you a greater chance" stories. They're simply not true.

I don't know about the try from work theory, when I have been buying tickets I have had a lot more success from my work pc than my home pc. Infact there have been occasions when I've not been able to get through at home so connected onto my work pc and got straight on. I'm sure there was something last year about people with smart phone using the 3g connection and having a decent success rate

Just think the tickets scramble would have been this weekend had there been a Glasto in 2012!

Means its only a year to ticket day!

I hink there will be a mass scramble for 2013 tickets, I am sure there was the last time there was a break (so tickets for 2007) People often have a break from the festival for a year, so everybody will want to go in 2013. Saying that, it does depend on what happens with music in the next year or so. If there isnt a lot of exciting new stuff coming out, or any realeases from big name bands then it might not be too bad after all

Nope, it's about the size of your buying group.

Round up all of your TRUSTWORTHY friends (cos you'll have to give them your card details), and have them all try for tickets for everyone in the group. Anyone who gets the buying page buys as many tickets as they're able to for the group. Repeat until you've got all of the tickets you need.

How you're in contact with the other people in your buying group as you buy your tickets makes no difference. It's simply the case that the more tries there are at trying to get the ticket page, the more chance there is of getting the ticket page.

There's no "if I try from work I get an advantage" or any other user-controllable technical factor that gives an advantage. Someone is going to be getting the ticket page at any moment, and that comes down to nothing more than the luck of the draw - but the more times you try getting the ticket page the greater proportion of requests for that ticket page you'll be making against others, and so the more chance you'll have.

Don't go falling for any other "if you do this, it gives you a greater chance" stories. They're simply not true.

I must disagree as in my experience, the speed of your connection WILL improve your chances. So going to work to use their 100 megabit connection is what I always do and I've not failed yet.

I did originally type those words with a "with everything else being equal part", but took it out again cos I thought it would too ambiguous to those who don't get the technicalities.

So yeah, I agree with what you've said there, tho the effect is very minimal, almost non-existent between an ADSL line and your work's 100Mb line - how fast you press refresh has a hugely greater relevance.

(the speed of the connection has much greater relevance at the much lower speeds of old).

I know of people who've gone into their work to use their work's connection when it's been no different a line to what they've had at home. It might have worked for them, but that's simply down to luck

I got 15 tickets for Glasto 2011 for the people I was able to contact on t-day who were struggling and know dozens of others crunching away at home on mulitple computers and 3G phones who never got a sniff of the booking page.

that by itself (ignoring the faster speed you had) means nothing.

Some people are going to get thru, and some others aren't. Whether you're the lucky one or not ultimately comes down to the exact moment your data request hits See's servers and how many other requests come in that same mirco-second rather than anything about connection speed.

I don't profess to know the mechanics of how the speed of connection has so far enabled me to get a ticket for 100% of the eight glastos i have booked online but just speak from my own experience.

That's randomness for you. It throws up results which seem hugely unlikely to be just random, but they are.

"How you're in contact with the other people in your buying group as you buy your tickets makes no difference. It's simply the case that the more tries there are at trying to get the ticket page, the more chance there is of getting the ticket page."

Ture enough - though I think Facebook certainly provides a good application for communicating, compiling, managing and coordinating these large ticket buying co-operatives. People were also very free with sharing their credit card details within those groups last year as well I noticed . . .

"So yeah, I agree with what you've said there, tho the effect is very minimal, almost non-existent between an ADSL line and your work's 100Mb line - how fast you press refresh has a hugely greater relevance."

Yes, there's no bandwidth constraint as such anymore, though I think that work connections will present far less router hops to go through end to end than home broadband connections, which may have a small positive impact on their efficiency when it comes to communicating with ticket purchasing systems. Oddly, I found that O2's 3G got me in straight away last year as well. Home broadband - nada. I wondered whether this was down to fewer hops via the 3G gateway . . .

People were also very free with sharing their credit card details within those groups last year as well I noticed . . .

then they're idjuts who'll get stung sooner or later, no matter how much they regard randoms they've met online as genuine friends.

Yes, there's no bandwidth constraint as such anymore, though I think that work connections will present far less router hops to go through end to end than home broadband connections, which may have a small positive impact on their efficiency when it comes to communicating with ticket purchasing systems. Oddly, I found that O2's 3G got me in straight away last year as well. Home broadband - nada. I wondered whether this was down to fewer hops via the 3G gateway . . .

The number of gateways a data packet passes thru has no relevance to whether See's servers will accept that packet or not.

The extra travelling time of a packet thru those extra gateways is so very minimal that you'd not notice it, and the accumulated time advantage over your buying session would be perhaps just one second.

So your trip to work probably only really amounted to one extra screen refresh over the hours that you used it, if even that.

Agree with you that the effect of a greater number of hops would be minimal, especially on a Sunday I suppose which is normally when they go an sale. Though I have to say that I think overburdened ISP routing infrastructure has done and does account for slowdowns in access between hosts - e.g. we have two types of remote office at my firm - the ones that have a nice BT Secure+ line straight into the MPLS cloud, and ones that are 'less important' that have cheaper ISP broadband router solutions for their access to head office. Both have the same bandwidth and in some cases the same number of staff using them for the same services, but the BT lines far out perform the 'ISP' ones as they are closer to the core switching infrastructure (also fewer protocol conversions in between - Ethernet to DSL to Ethernet to Fiber etc.)

Anyway, best solution to level the playing field - implement session expiry after ticket purchase so there is no back step facility . . .

I have to agree that the best way to sort tickets is to get a group all going for tickets. A good few of us off here got tickets through us all trying at the same time, as soon as one of us got through we'd message others on Facebook and sort their tickets (could've easily have been done by txt as well) rachelbon and myself sorted a couple of efesters as we managed to get three booking pages up at the same time. I do know of a few who used the pressing back button way, which although perhaps unfair did help some people who were desperate for tickets to get sorted.

I would say the best advice would be to saty on here, get to know people (you have a whole year) and work out who you'd trust and who you wouldn't, for instance if someone has about 10,000 posts it's unlikely (but not impossible) they'd be genuinely up for helping you rather than scamming you. Come ticket day, everyone pulls their resources and hopefully everyone will get sorted.

We shall see as lots of reasons for it to go down and up, I think how ticket sales go next year for the other festivals will show us a good indication of crazy it will be but even then if we get rainy festival season maybe not!! so many factors are involved!

As for tickets I am inclined to agree with Neil on its more about the luck of your packet hitting the server then again the more packets you send ... :P Think they should have a few centres where we can go and camp to get them :P (To make it fair everyone will have to travel at least a certain mileage.:P)