Stage Collapse 4 People Dead

Guest Leprekorn

I was at the Cambridge Rock Festival a few years back (then called the Rockinbeerfest) when we had 70mph winds. We had freak weather when a hurricanr crossed the Atlantic, swept up the English Channel before turning back across the flat fenland of eastern England. The main stage had to be abandoned and most of the campers' tents were blown flat. I woke to find my tent roof six inches above my sleeping bag. Luckily I pushed it and it popped back. No one was hurt but it was a scary night.

We have a management team who have been over to Benicassim which is another large euro fest the past 2 years to oversee the stage security and this year the campsite too.

Few reports that they are far more relaxed about things over there, no water in the pit etc than you would get away with over here.

Tragic this has happened twice in a week, hopefully any efesters over in Belgium are safe x

Been speaking to some of the Serious Stages crew here at Reading about it, the UK have some of the most stringent H&S legislation in the world.

They do events in Europe and sometimes the site crew over there are surprised by the difference

The closest I've ever been to a stage disaster in the UK was at Reading sometime in the 90s. Due to sudden high winds the roof partially came off the Comedy Stage and it was flapping about violently in the wind. They closed it down for the rest of the festival as the roof was torn and couldn't be fixed in place again. They also temporarily shut what is now the NME Tent as that was deemed to have become unsafe. Once the winds had subsided and the structure made secure again, Health & Safety gave the all clear and it was re-opened.

Don't believe it could never happen here.

It could happen here but It's far more unlikely. I believe I read in a post on the Glasto forums that there's a wind limit on most stages and if it goes above that limit then a safety meeting would be called and I'd imagine appropriate measures would be taken.

Now this is just at Glastonbury, I don't know what would happen at a smaller fest.

Everytime I go to a fest my Gran rings me to say goodbye incase anything happens to me and 3 times before she has rang me to see if I was alive after hearing about a death at a festival in the news and 1 time it wasn't even a fest I went to.