Football 2011-2012

Guest eFestivals

I dont know if VDV thinks he is too good to be defending, probably thinks he has little to offer in that role. I remember reading the vialli/marcotti book where hey discussed in italy they loved the lazy, selfish midfielder who could do nothing the whole game and then produce a bit of magic, in contrast they hated the workhorse player running around like a headless chicken often achieving little but loved by british crowds. I personally feel its pointless asking someone like him to play a partly defensive role, agreed that he should be a bit more understanding why hh has to be sacraficed though.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• kaosmark2

• strummer77

I dont know if VDV thinks he is too good to be defending, probably thinks he has little to offer in that role. I remember reading the vialli/marcotti book where hey discussed in italy they loved the lazy, selfish midfielder who could do nothing the whole game and then produce a bit of magic, in contrast they hated the workhorse player running around like a headless chicken often achieving little but loved by british crowds. I personally feel its pointless asking someone like him to play a partly defensive role, agreed that he should be a bit more understanding why hh has to be sacraficed though.

It's a fair point that he can't offer as much in that role, but he shouldn't be moaning about it after a one-off time. And particularly if he's brought off for a more defensive midfielder when the team is leading, he should appreciate that if he won't/can't do the defensive work, then it might be better to have someone else doing it.

Since the Carling Cup draw for the last 16 was announced and Aldershot got the plum tie of Man Utd at the Rec their unbeaten run of eight games came to an end and they've only lost and started leaking goals quite badly (they did have the best defensive record in that league despite being around 15th). :(

Isn't it funny what excitement can do to players? :lol:

Here's hoping that they've saving it all up for that game. :lol:

I'm liking how the club have done the ticket allocations for what will be a sell-out - they've only stuck a fiver on the standard prices for the Utd match, but are also making people buy tickets for league games after the Utd match if they want tickets for the Utd match. I guess lots of people won't actually bother turning up for those league matches despite having to buy tickets tho I'm sure some will and might become more regular as a result - but whichever way those buyers do it, the club gets the ticket revenue anyway.

I'm liking how the club have done the ticket allocations for what will be a sell-out - they've only stuck a fiver on the standard prices for the Utd match, but are also making people buy tickets for league games after the Utd match if they want tickets for the Utd match. I guess lots of people won't actually bother turning up for those league matches despite having to buy tickets tho I'm sure some will and might become more regular as a result - but whichever way those buyers do it, the club gets the ticket revenue anyway.

I think ticket allocation for these games is a difficult one. What they are doing is sensible in terms of maximising income and hopefully converting a few new fans. No system is perfect. I remember in the 90s when wrexham had regular cup runs there were times when I only just got tickets despite going to the vast majority of league games.

The system's definitely not perfect for me - it basically puts me out of getting a ticket. But I really don't mind, as I think the club have gone about it the right way. I hope the people who do get the tickets are treated to a great match, and hopefully a giant killing result too. :D

I'll be happy enough to see it on TV in my local. I just hope that it's one of the matches they cover live, tho I'll be hugely surprised if it isn't.

Its also very frustrating when you see kids in man utd shirts sitting in the home end!

I really really REALLY hope there's none of that, but I guess it's very likely. The south east of England is swamped with Utd 'fans', most of whom have never been north of Watford.

Edited by eFestivals

I'll be happy enough to see it on TV in my local. I just hope that it's one of the matches they cover live, tho I'll be hugely surprised if it isn't.

yaaaaahooooooooo!!!!

Just checked the CC website, and it's on Sky. :D

I hope it's carried by foreign satellite channels too, else I'll have to find another pub for the night.

Whilst that's undoubtedly true, there's also plenty of Liverpool 'fans' too. No doubt in a few years, they'll be City 'fans' too.

Hmmmm .... not too sure of that. There doesn't seem to be a hugely growing number of Chelsea fans, which there would be if the same was going to happen with City. I think that some are 'glamour clubs', and some just aren't.

And just because someone might start, I'll point out that my mention of Utd and just Utd in relation to their southern 'fans' was totally relevant when talking about their coming visit to Aldershot.

Awful parenting

:lol::lol:

Sometimes tho there's just nothing you can do about it. When my kid was about 8 he asked for a Utd shirt, despite everything I'd done to try and swerve him in another direction (any other direction :lol:).

Him wanting a shirt was driven by his school mates - he's not really interested in football and never has been, although he's enjoyed the experience of attending the games I've taken him to.

:lol::lol:

Sometimes tho there's just nothing you can do about it. When my kid was about 8 he asked for a Utd shirt, despite everything I'd done to try and swerve him in another direction (any other direction :lol:).

Him wanting a shirt was driven by his school mates - he's not really interested in football and never has been, although he's enjoyed the experience of attending the games I've taken him to.

At 8 your son was more interested in what his mates thought than his dad?

Like I said, bad parenting ;)

short of bashing him with a big stick, what can you do? :lol:

I see you take the tory view of bad parenting - where tories who take drugs and smash up places aren't the result of bad parenting, they're just boisterous lads having fun. :P

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Rooney's red card last night amidst the charges being linked to his family.You couldn't write this stuff!

Did anyone else get the text jokes/see them on twitter/facebook about "Wayne held a press conference today to say he had no knowledge about his family being involved in betting fraud until today...he also apologized in advance for his red card tonight."?Low and behold it happened lol!

Rooney's a prick, and his family are retarded.

Minimum miss the first game of the tournament, could very possibly miss the whole group stage, most likely miss the first two games.

Do you still take him if he's got a 3 match ban? I probably would, but there's a very good case for leaving him in England to watch it in front of the box with the rest of the Rooney herd, if they're not behind bars.

Edited by Ed209

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Rooney's red card last night amidst the charges being linked to his family.You couldn't write this stuff!

Did anyone else get the text jokes/see them on twitter/facebook about "Wayne held a press conference today to say he had no knowledge about his family being involved in betting fraud until today...he also apologized in advance for his red card tonight."?Low and behold it happened lol!

and of course if someone was to get themselves sent off for betting purposes, then they'd do something like Rooney did.

You couldn't make it up, could you? :lol:

Maybe his dad has been in touch, and they've contrived this to help his defence? "My boy was sent off a few days after I was arrested. It shows how coincidence can imply guilt"? :lol::lol:

I was amazed( although I should be used to it by now) by the attitude of the English media last week. All I heard was how England would win and and that the result wasn't really in doubt. Where have these people been the last 3 years. Pink_Traingle mentioned in the Rugby thread, because they lost at the quarter final stage there needs to be a 'Root and Branch' enquiry as to what went wrong where everything pointed to them only getting to the Quarter final.

The arrogance is astounding!!