What do the hardcore U2 fans think?

Guest dingbat2

That’s because he had to sit next to Bono. The body language is very telling isn’t it? Id be surprised if we see U2 last another 5 years. They don’t get on at all anymore apparently. Larry saying "as an outside looking in (to Bono hanging out with Bush and Blair etc), I cringe" a while back did some damage. :unsure:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s because he had to sit next to Bono. The body language is very telling isn’t it? Id be surprised if we see U2 last another 5 years. They don’t get on at all anymore apparently. Larry saying "as an outside looking in (to Bono hanging out with Bush and Blair etc), I cringe" a while back did some damage. :unsure:

Edited by Torcs4

My missus is quite the U2 fan and she loved acts 1 and 2. She hates the newer stuff. I think it's telling that the new stuff got the better reaction though.

I mean when he did the sing the words to One bit. No one within a 300 yard radius of us was singing. They looked lost. I mean, f**king hell I don't like the band and even I know the words to One!

For me it just fell flat. I liked the stuff they opened with, made me think "Oh maybe I am a bit unfair on this band" - but with this crowd it just sucked all the energy out.

Then they seemed to play all THE HITS in a row in the middle. Space em out a bit guys?

The less said about the encore the better. WOWY and Out of Control I buy, but what was that MESS in the middle?

Also, anti Irishness inherent in British society seemed alive and well to me last weekend. As well as someone making some c**ty remark about Bobby Sands during Flogging Molly, these absolute cretins behind me and the missus were shouting "POTATO!" "BEGORRAGH" "TO BE SURE TO BE SURE".

Eventually we lost our patience and my gf told them it was really offending her

"It's just a joke, lighten up, I thought the paddies liked a laugh?"

I then enlightened them with the history of prejudice that my parents have endured in their life in Britain, including where my dad has his van taken apart by the police in the 90s purely on the premise he had an Irish surname.

And then as if by magic, U2 dropped Sunday Bloody Sunday. They all went a bit red in the face.

My gf: "Ha! Not so fooking gobby now are ye!"

Also, anti Irishness inherent in British society seemed alive and well to me last weekend. As well as someone making some c**ty remark about Bobby Sands during Flogging Molly, these absolute cretins behind me and the missus were shouting "POTATO!" "BEGORRAGH" "TO BE SURE TO BE SURE".

I'm not the biggest fan but I enjoyed U2 thought they were good, not great but good

I thought "moment of surrender" was by far their biggest mistake, people left in droves when that was on, and probably "out of control" (which I love) but I think most of the people there didnt have a clue what it was.

Just read through this thread and no one seem to have mentioned the depleting crowd, by the time "out of control" came on I had a good 20 foot gap around me !

It seem busier at Gorillaz last year :blink:

Interesting post there Torcs. This tour id imagine feels very dragged out due to the Bonos injury and rescheduling part of the tour so id say it has taken a lot out of them.

Larry seemed very pissed off in that interview. He just couldnt hide how he felt. They were crap and he knows it. Anyone that has seen U2 before will know that. They are so much better than what they showed and Larry just cant hide his disappointment.

I agree that U2 will revert to smaller venues from now on. Their last few albums have been shite by their standards: HTDAAB is their worst.

It's a pity because they seemed to be getting it right when they released ATYCLB. It was a good album and playing indoor venues (bar Slane) with a stripped down set worked wonders for them. Their gigs were amazing and their musicianship stood out.

Not to say I didn't love their recent stadium gigs but they seemed to lose a lot of credibility around this time: they'd turned into a corporate machine. Well, maybe they lost credibility before this but at least their music was relevant in the 90s.

it all gets very tiring and juvenile imo

went to see a comedian on Sunday, and he started by having a go at Bono (really cutting edge stuff... :rolleyes: ), saying how Bono wants to bring people together, and he does, with our collective hatred for him...

f**kwit... I left

you know there was meant to be a protest during U2, well I was wondering if the screen at the start of the gig that read "everything you know is wrong"

was this part of the set or something that needed to be displayed for safety/security reasons

amazing gig though

Heres the setlist from Michigan on Sunday.

Even Better Than The Real Thing

The Fly

Mysterious Ways

Until The End Of The World

I Will Follow

Get On Your Boots

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

Beautiful Day

Elevation

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Miss Sarajevo

Zooropa

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Scarlet

Walk On

Encore:

One

Where The Streets Have No Name

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

With Or Without You

Moment of Surrender

They should've played Miss Sarajevo, Zooropa and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me at Glasto. Desire, Discotheque, When Love Comes to Town, Angel of Harlem and All I want is You too. Desire in particular. Their first UK number 1. And they didn't play it?! :blink:

Ditch Moment of Surrender, Elevation, Get On Your Boots, Vertigo, Moment of Surrender, Out of Control and you have a totally differnet gig. Although I think that means they've only one song from the last 15 years! :lol:

Edited by The Nal

Just watching their set back now on Iplayer. TBH the memories of Friday had been overshadowed for me by an amazing Saturday and Sunday, but watching this now reminds me of what a great moment it was. My first Glasto, and hearing "Where the streets have no name" with the rain pouring down in the darkness, smoke streaming off the stage was just so special for me. A great moment!! :rolleyes:

Yes U2 didn't capture the audience as much as other headliners IMO, but everyone around me still had a great time, and I do think they done the opening night justice.

Just watching their set back now on Iplayer. TBH the memories of Friday had been overshadowed for me by an amazing Saturday and Sunday, but watching this now reminds me of what a great moment it was. My first Glasto, and hearing "Where the streets have no name" with the rain pouring down in the darkness, smoke streaming off the stage was just so special for me. A great moment!! :rolleyes:

Yes U2 didn't capture the audience as much as other headliners IMO, but everyone around me still had a great time, and I do think they done the opening night justice.

Defo. With the wave of banality and mediocrity at the festival this years festival like Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes, Coldplay, Pendulum, Kaiser Chiefs etc all playing high up the bill, we should be happy we had a headliner who at least tried (albeit a little too hard) to put in a memorable set.

It was a memorable gig for good and bad reasons I suppose. Which is better than "yeah they were ok", which is the take home conclusion from a Coldplay headline slot.

Pendulum by the way. Dear oh dear.

Yeah, what the f**k was that all about. Much preferred them when there were just the two of them doing dance tents. Now its Lincoln Park do Drum'n'Bass. Goddamn awful stuff and from where I was they went down like a sack of shit with the majority of the crowd.

Edited by The Nal

There were people covering their ears and quietly shaking their heads in disapproval as far away as the cider bus.

I don’t mind Coldplay too much, but don’t like them either. I watched some of the gig on TV after and in fairness they know how to headline with what they have. Faster versions of some songs, no big pauses in between songs, solid setlist with the songs in the right places, a laser/light show to keep peoples attention, always saying the right things in between songs etc. Theres no way it was “shit” imo. But theres no way its on the same planet as Blur, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder either.