Clarence Clemons

Guest Porcelina

Sadly, the reports are true. :(

I feel sick. Absolutely gutted.

Seen Bruce and the EStreet Band 7 or 8 times and usually position myself on "Clarence's Side" of the stage.

For anyone who may not know Bruces music or how important/good Clarence was, from 4 mins 25 on in the below video is your answer.

R.I.P. Big Man. A one off. Completely unmatched and totally irreplaceable.

The minister of soul. The secretary of the brotherhood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zylxfXyTefs

Derek Scully. His influences are Clarence Clemons and the guy from Madness.

Edited by The Nal

Very sad to hear. last week's stroke wasn't a complete shock, as he had always been under dodgy health in recent years. It had seemed like he was going to make it though from initial reports, even if a slow recovery.

I had feared over the last few years that he just wasn't well, even if publicly it was merely back/knee problems.

In fall 2009 I was at a book signing for his "Big Man" memoir (don't buy it...it honestly is the worst book put out by a musician i've ever read...but having a signed copy is still a nice souvenir), and he actually seemed much more vibrant than I was expecting.

Jungeland and Rosalita as Nal points out...they're just so Big Man.

Springsteen's statement...Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years. He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band.

Really, really sorry to hear this news - I had no idea he had health issues :(

Whenevever I think of Springsteen and the E Street Band I remember what an immense musician Clarence was with his soaring sax solos.

I feel so fortunate to have seen him play the Pyramid a couple of years ago....

RIP Clarence you were a legend !

Off with the other great musicians in a all time greats band in Heaven!

This is very sad news. Clarence is one of the great icons of modern music. Bruce's statement sums him up perfectly and I can't imagine how he and the rest of the band must be feeling. I hope there are some appropriate tributes paid next weekend

Truly shocked by this. I thought (amd hoped) he would pull through from the stroke.

He'll be missed enormously. If Bono reads out the lyrics to Jungleland at Glastonbury, it will be emotional for me and many others I suspect.

Rock 'em in heaven Big Man!

Truly gutted to hear the Big Man has left us. Whatever the E Street Band does from this day forward there will always be a very big hole left empty where Clarence once stood, proud, strong and blowing it like he was breathing out his every emotion.

A very very sad day for music. My thoughts are with Bruce, Patti, all of the E Street Band and especially his family at this tough time.

RIP Clarence.

I'm not ashamed to say the tears are flowing right now.

In early 2009 I took what, at the time felt like a crazy decision to cross an ocean to watch a band. Today that feels like the best decision I've ever taken. This is the last photo I took of Big Man (on a terrible phone camera because no others were allowed) in Washington DC in November 2009. I always liked standing in front of him best. Not least because he was an outrageous flirt and loved to wiggle his eyebrows suggestively at women in the front row. From anybody else it might have been irritating. From C it was just amusing and charming.

IMG_0161.jpg

My heart goes out today to Victoria and all his family, Scooter, the rest of the band and the whole of the E Street Nation.

We played king of the mountain out on the end

The world come chargin' up the hill, and we were women and men

Now there's so much that time, time and memory fade away

We got our own roads to ride and chances we gotta take

We stood side by side each one fightin' for the other

We said until we died we'd always be blood brothers

Now the hardness of this world slowly grinds your dreams away

Makin' a fool's joke out of the promises we make

And what once seemed black and white turns to so many shades of gray

We lose ourselves in work to do and bills to pay

And it's a ride, ride, ride, and there ain't much cover

With no one runnin' by your side my blood brother

On through the houses of the dead past those fallen in their tracks

Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back

Now I don't know how I feel, I don't know how I feel tonight

If I've fallen 'neath the wheel, if I've lost or I've gained sight

I don't even know why, I don't know why I made this call

Or if any of this matters anymore after all

But the stars are burnin' bright like some mystery uncovered

I'll keep movin' through the dark with you in my heart,my blood brother

Sadly, the reports are true. :(

I feel sick. Absolutely gutted.

Seen Bruce and the EStreet Band 7 or 8 times and usually position myself on "Clarence's Side" of the stage.

For anyone who may not know Bruces music or how important/good Clarence was, from 4 mins 25 on in the below video is your answer.

R.I.P. Big Man. A one off. Completely unmatched and totally irreplaceable.

The minister of soul. The secretary of the brotherhood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Derek Scully. His influences are Clarence Clemons and the guy from Madness.

Edited by sjhande

Just came on site to bump the job ad I had on for my daughter and saw this. Absolutely gutted. I had no idea he had been ill.

Seen the band 6 times I think and my overriding memory is the first time at Leeds in 1985. The whole band in unison jumping down each step of the stage with the Big Man at the forefront, I think to Cadillac Ranch.

Tears running down my face now as I write this.

Sincere condolences to his family.

RIP Clarence.

Edited by stutheblue

Completely shocked, :O

I knew about the strokes he had last week but was aware he was on the road to recovery which given the nature of his ails was amazing

R.I.P. Clarence "Big Man" Clemons :(

truly a great and will be missed by the whole music world and on a personal note I am glad I too made a decision in 09 to go see the boss and the e street play in r.d.s. in dublin and will be forever in my all time top 3 gigs

As every one says,I would like to pass on my condolences to his close and extended family :(

My dads a massive fan and got me into Springsteen at an early age. I remember him taking me to Leazes Park so we could hear the show he was playing at St James (couldn't afford tickets). As a kid Clarence was always the coolest to me. Those stadium shows in the 80s when he was more agile look to me to be the among the best anyone has ever done. RIP