Recommend me a Mobile Phone

luckysalt

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Songkick is a great app that scans your music library, and allows you to track your favourite artists, it then notifies you when gigs are announced. Its bulletproof imho. I havent missed a tour going on sale since I started using it.

Thank you so much for this - installed this tonight, and am off to a gig tomorrow 20mins away from me that I had no idea was going on :)

Thank you so much for this - installed this tonight, and am off to a gig tomorrow 20mins away from me that I had no idea was going on smile.png

See? thats exactly what I mean!

I was up in Glasgow last year on holiday, and it told me there was a Dillinger Escape Plan gig on while I was there. Its fucking ace!

Installing songkick, thanks for the recommendation :)

Regarding WEP, had the same issue in the past, where some devices insisted on WPA and forced me to make the switch (it was my original Wii, in fact) and make the discovery that WEP is about as secure as a teabag. My daughter actually steals neighbours internets by cracking WEP keys when I complain about her downloads interfering with my gaming :)

@Neil, sadly the iplayer app isn't jellybean compatible because iplayer uses flash video and hasn't yet made the leap to html5. IOS has a lower standard fallback video codec which iplayer is able to drop back to that jellybean lacks, so iplayer works on IOS devices or android devices from 4.0 down. I personally wish the BBC would pull their finger out on this as iplayer is something I use my other tablet for quite often.

Discussing tablets with a colleague this week and he decided that he is going to spend 35% more money for the apple device with half the power. He cites "build quality issues" with the nexus, that I've not personally experienced or heard about, he also cites compatibility with his current suite of purchased software for IOS from his phone, which is a fair and understandable argument.

I personally expect that Android's growth is going to continue, with some of the android media players/mini pc's that are coming to market showing a definite trend towards android moving into less portable devices around the home.

@Neil, sadly the iplayer app isn't jellybean compatible because iplayer uses flash video and hasn't yet made the leap to html5. IOS has a lower standard fallback video codec which iplayer is able to drop back to that jellybean lacks, so iplayer works on IOS devices or android devices from 4.0 down. I personally wish the BBC would pull their finger out on this as iplayer is something I use my other tablet for quite often.

I dont have the faintest fucking idea what any of this means...it's like the teacher in Peanuts :)

I dont have the faintest fucking idea what any of this means...it's like the teacher in Peanuts smile.png

It makes a little more sense when you know that jellybean is just the name of the specific version of the the android operating system being used. Each release seems to have an increasingly ridiculous name, there's cupcake (v1.5), donut (v1.6), eclair (v2.0), Froyo (2.2), gingerbread (2.3), honeycomb (3.1), ice cream sandwich (4.0) and jelly bean (4.1).

its quite cute, but sounds ridiculous when you try to include it in a techi conversation.

I like the android naming system, it is the kind of geekery that brings a smile to my lips.

Been playing quite a bit of Auralux the last few days, completed the main game and bought some add on level packs in a bundle for couple of quid, really addictive game where strategy and timing can be everything.

Bit gutted to discover that one of my most used apps, Wifi transfer pro, no longer works since 4.2 update on nexus, hoping for a swift reaction update from the authors, I'm WAY too lazy to want to walk to a computer to plug it in just to transfer files.

It makes a little more sense when you know that jellybean is just the name of the specific version of the the android operating system being used. Each release seems to have an increasingly ridiculous name, there's cupcake (v1.5), donut (v1.6), eclair (v2.0), Froyo (2.2), gingerbread (2.3), honeycomb (3.1), ice cream sandwich (4.0) and jelly bean (4.1).

its quite cute, but sounds ridiculous when you try to include it in a techi conversation.

christ that actually did make me laugh out loud...the reference to jellybean was the one bit of the earlier post that I did understand

Edited by abdoujaparov

• 4 weeks later...
so what is currently the dogs bollocks of Android phones?

It's time I got an upgrade I think.

Note 2 (Phablet) or an SIII...but I'd wait few months as there is rumors of an SIV in March, hopefully we will finally get the flexi screens they have been promising!

Edit, just to add...The Nexus 4 is also pretty nifty, its made by LG this time not as powerful but more of a phone then the Galaxies and plus quicker official updates ofc!

Edited by LondonTom

S3 currently I would say!

Nexus 4 looks ok, but I believe doesn't have a removable battery?

Yeah or an SD card slot....Great things that some Android phones offer, but the nexus is designed to show off Android and Google services, them being a cloud provider I can understand it!

Edited by LondonTom

I've got a Galaxy S and upgraded to a Galaxy S2. Never used other Android phones much but love this series.

My key recommendation is get a phone with a good swype system. I find it makes typing on a small touchscreen so much easier.

You can install Swype on any android phone. Its a bit of a pain (you have to register first), but is worth it.

http://beta.swype.com/

I'm holding out for this nice looking handset

_MG_2241_edited.jpg

All depends on what it is like on release but early indication show RIM could be on to a winner with their new OS

They are to late to the party against Android/Apple until some sort of new technology (Much like how Nokia was overthrown). People are tied into those ecosystems with the apps they have downloaded now! They don't want to shell out for apps they have already brought (even if RIM did get the big ones to port over.).

Even businesses are giving on Blackberry's to and getting rid of their BES's.

They are to late to the party against Android/Apple until some sort of new technology (Much like how Nokia was overthrown). People are tied into those ecosystems with the apps they have downloaded now! They don't want to shell out for apps they have already brought (even if RIM did get the big ones to port over.).

Even businesses are giving on Blackberry's to and getting rid of their BES's.

I keep hearing the "too late" argument. I don't buy it.

How can you be too late to an industry where people replace their phone every 6-24 months.

As long as they make a good phone which and have the core apps people want. (Most of the everyday apps people use are free) Why wouldn't people switch. I am keeping an open mind about it all. I will probably either go BB10, Windows or android but i'm not gonna dismiss RIM's effort as it looks very slick and they have put plenty of work in.

BES is still the best and most secure enterprise solution. If BB10 takes off there will be plenty of corporate takers. For all I have seen in the business world Blackberry's still have a massive share.

I got my phone nicked so will be buying a handset for about £40 or so and getting one of those rolling months contracts. I've always been with T Mobile, is there any provider who anyone would recommend as I was thinking Orange (I know they are the same company as T Mobile but you don't get things like orange Wednesdays, etc)