Disgraceful article

Guest Ringo_Spar

http://www.I'M A DESPERATE SPAMMER.com/latest/features/9582/-/Going-green-how-to-festival-with-a-conscience

OK, some of it maybe tongue-in-cheek and the overall essence is to encourage a greener attitude amongst festival go-ers. But this article makes it look like it's normal to leave your tent at a festival, creating waste, fuelling consumerism and encouraging an attitude that actions don't have consequences.

A mate is nagging me too go, line up isn't epic for me (Metallica ok, Biffy ok, Limp Bizkit good, Slipknot not seen before & want to catch Weezer after everyone talking about their Reading show last year - I was at Sub Focus I think so wasn't bothered) but I'd be happy just to watch him mosh his tits off. I'll see who else wants to go & how much money I have.

Edit- please don't say "awesomez"

Green festival issues deserve more discussion and thought though.

A couple of years ago the Glasto 'leave your tent for recycling' idea was a disaster as people just dumped broken tents and walked away thinking their conscience was clear.

I've never left a tent, or anything else, behind at a festival. We always do a fingertip check of our pitch before departure to check for things like tent pegs and take everything home for repair/re-use. (Oh that was another Glasto good idea that didn't work - biodegradeable tent pegs. So flimsy they shattered as you tried to hammer them in sending shards of sharp tent peg flying around).

Sadly we live in a throw away society and it's tempting for some to buy a cheap supermarket tent and simply leave it behind.

One possible problem, ironically, is encouraging people to use public transport to go to festivals. If it's a hassle lugging all your gear on a train or bus a lot of people might be tempted top leave stuff behind rather than take it home.

I've done litter picks at festivals and it's really horrifying what people dump. I won't even drop a fag end as a result of litterpicking. Instead I carry a 35mm film canister in my pocket (airtight so keeps the smell in) to keep my cigarette butts till I get to a bin.

If everyone who attended a festival had to do just one 30 minute litter pick (I appreciate there could be H&S issues) then it would, hopefully, make them think twice about casual littering.

I think the oddest example of rubbuish dumping was a couple of years ago where I was doing a post-festival the site clearance and we came across a three piece suite that someone had left behind. They'd brought it to sit in the sun over the weekend and then drove off leaving it behind because it was cheaper than taking it to the council tip.

Sorry - end of rant.

Edited by grumpyhack

• 2 months later...

I've done litter picks at festivals and it's really horrifying what people dump. I won't even drop a fag end as a result of litterpicking. Instead I carry a 35mm film canister in my pocket (airtight so keeps the smell in) to keep my cigarette butts till I get to a bin.

If everyone who attended a festival had to do just one 30 minute litter pick (I appreciate there could be H&S issues) then it would, hopefully, make them think twice about casual littering.

http://www.I'M A DESPERATE SPAMMER.com/latest/features/9582/-/Going-green-how-to-festival-with-a-conscience

OK, some of it maybe tongue-in-cheek and the overall essence is to encourage a greener attitude amongst festival go-ers. But this article makes it look like it's normal to leave your tent at a festival, creating waste, fuelling consumerism and encouraging an attitude that actions don't have consequences.

i remember being at the Other Stage when the screens said you could leave your tent and they would be collected for charity, i said at the time surely they mean you can pack it up and donate it as it would take months to sort that, sure enough the message was changed shortly after but it was too late and word got round that leaving your crap was a GOOD thing. Whoops on them :unsure:

my pet hate is laughing gas, which is ironic as i love laughing gas...

because its now illegal to sell, people bring their own and you get thousands of those cannisters everywhere. I pick mine up, but even then i'm unhappy with them because due to the nature of compressed gas cylinders you can't even recycle the f**kers (at least not at any of the scrap yards near me)

i've tried using super super glue to make small garden sculptures from them, but not strong enough to keep them together, and i cant afford the time or money to learn to weld :rolleyes:

my friend has a big tank that he gets refilled, considered dressing up as a scuba diver and wandering about with that on my back to be a slightly more green salesmen of the lol-balloons....

however just decided to bring enough for my own use, bring the cannisters back and throw them in my nearly overflowing basket till i can one day find a use for the things :lol:

i remember being at the Other Stage when the screens said you could leave your tent and they would be collected for charity, i said at the time surely they mean you can pack it up and donate it as it would take months to sort that, sure enough the message was changed shortly after but it was too late and word got round that leaving your crap was a GOOD thing. Whoops on them :unsure:

my pet hate is laughing gas, which is ironic as i love laughing gas...

because its now illegal to sell, people bring their own and you get thousands of those cannisters everywhere. I pick mine up, but even then i'm unhappy with them because due to the nature of compressed gas cylinders you can't even recycle the f**kers (at least not at any of the scrap yards near me)

i've tried using super super glue to make small garden sculptures from them, but not strong enough to keep them together, and i cant afford the time or money to learn to weld :rolleyes:

my friend has a big tank that he gets refilled, considered dressing up as a scuba diver and wandering about with that on my back to be a slightly more green salesmen of the lol-balloons....

however just decided to bring enough for my own use, bring the cannisters back and throw them in my nearly overflowing basket till i can one day find a use for the things :lol:

• 2 months later...

It wasn't a paid-for article, just something VF considers to be a worthy cause. Efests advertises banks and insurance companies. VF advertises the source of its users' passions - music festivals. Sonisphere paid for that ad just like any other festival. There's no special treatment, that would be unfair and detrimental to VF itself as the site & business behind it relies on impartiality. See you in some mud soon.

Steve Jenner (VF founder & festival obsessive)