2012 headliners

Guest lharris92

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can definitely see SOAD or Slipknot headlining 2012

Neither are particularly massive in the mainstream but both would draw massive crowds and would be something a bit different for R+L, as well as both being new headliners. Wouldn't have both though, way too metal-ly for the majority of the crowd.

Foo's seem very likely due to the whole 20th anniversary of Nirvana at Reading, and the fact they want to finish their tour there.

I'm not sure who the more indie headliner will be, possibly Bloc Party if they reform and put out a successful album.

The problem with a lot of more indie bands is that their fanbase is largly NME readers who'll stop listening once before they get chance to become a bona-fide headliner.

Disagree about mumfords, they are very big in america as well, which all adds to the hype machine. The second album is bound to be massive, people will buy it regardless of the quality. Its the third album they may struggle with, if the people buying the second are disappointed.

I think if slipknot were going to headline they would have done it by now. They are no bigger than the last time they subbed, in fact I would say smaller. I think soad have a good chance but will depend on how any new material does and how well they do at selling tickets for their own tours.

Yeah the second album will sell a lot, but that has happened many times before, the second album curse. When the second album isn't as good as the first they bomb. The festival bookers often predict for this and usually don't just smash them right to near the top of the bill. If they keep them on a moderate incline then they can get popular bands in lower down spots making the festival stronger.

If there second album is also good and goes well the next time they play they will be right up the bill. You only have to look at a band like pendulum to see the trajectory there on and apply it to M&S.

The thing is mumford and sons make such inoffensive music that I cant see the second album being anything but well recieved. Theres just no chance of the likes of radio 1 dumping them. I dont agree with the pendulum comparison, Mumfords first album has probably sold as much as pendulums 3 albums combined, so we are definetely talking about a different level.

Queens of the Stone Age - not happening

Biffy Clyro - probs, can't see them headlining just yet

The White Stripes - split up

Franz Ferdinand - really, they have been off the radar for what seems like years

Foo Fighters - agree

The Prodigy - boring, they have played everywhere