Clashfinder

Guest morph100

No disrespect to Halvin and his admirable work but I've always enjoyed sitting around the encampment on Wednesday morning with the official programme and working out our itinerary.

We have great debates about who to catch and often recommendations from people who've seen a band that others don't know about whether they're worth catching.

Then we can simply map our way around on the pocket guide and work out who we are going to see and agonise about who we'll have to miss.

Edited by grumpyhack

No disrespect to Halvin and his admirable work but I've always enjoyed sitting around the encampment on Wednesday morning with the official programme and working out our itinerary.

We have great debates about who to catch and often recommendations from people who've seen a band that others don't know about whether they're worth catching.

Then we can simply map our way around on the pocket guide and work out who we are going to see and agonise about who we'll have to miss.

Whoops sorry got a bit excited early but I just couldn't resist it, I love agonising over halvins clashfinder before glasto and still do it all over again on the Wednesday when I arrive. Then go for walk round and all plans go out the window, I wouldn't have it any other way :-)

Heh. That's pretty much the exact opposite of the situation. :P

I've been doing loads fiddling with the site through the Autumn and Winter and every time I pull the laptop out in the evening I get a 'you're not doing that Glastonbury stuff again, are you?'

I'm now struggling to think exactly what I've done to the site. I did a bit of rearranging of the source files, which broke a lot of things that then needed fixing. I did a fairly major change to the way the data's stored for the recommendations but that f__ked everything up so I had to do a fairly major backtrack.

I've added a neat linking function for people who want to edit their clashfinder on two different machines (like a home and work PC) and I've made a change to the share address so when a clashfinder's been saved you can share a read-only link to the save file (meaning that if you share your clashfinder and then make changes later, anyone following the old link will see your updated clashfinder).

I've improved the pagination so that any day with loads of stages will be split over several pages and consecutive days with few stages will be squeezed onto one (as a result I've got rid of the 'compact clashfinder' option because that's automatic now).

Oh yeah, there's the mobile version that didn't exist last Glastonbury. It's a line-up listing rather than a clashfinder but you can filter the list to search for names (or fragments of names), if you've set highlights you can view an itinerary and during the festival you can have a Now/Next/Later list.

I'm also halfway through a neat drag-and-drop editor for anyone who wants to create a clashfinder for another festival. It's looking good at the moment and it's a bit of a shame that very few people will ever get to see it.

So actually doing the Glasto clashfinder is pretty much a drop in the ocean. :D

:lol: I quite like U2 but I like that comment more.