Headliners?

Guest Roonwilldo

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how this debate rages time and time again- that this act isn't big enough, or too mainstream, or criticised for being million sellers, or not hip enough! Glastonbury 'needs' memorable headline performers - its what keeps the festival at the very top and what gets shown time and time again on television. But being great or the current 'in' band does not make a memorable headline performance. I have seen too many 'great' bands turn up and just perform their act as if that is whats makes it into the annals of history of Glastonbury. To be a memorable performance there has to be a connection, a performance that grabs the moment and where there is a clear relationship between act, audience and the festival.

Think last year of how Damon by his own admission got Gorillaz performance wrong by alienating the crowd - nothing wrong with the performance but not going to go down in Glastonbury history. Or Muse who were musically perfect but a show lacking in emotion. Now compare with Blur in 2009 (which I tragically decided to miss - for Gong?) and see how the moment and the crowd's reaction and the passion of Damon made that a truely memorable headline set. I am a huge Neil Young fan but he didn't nail it - the reviews were excellent (he is a class performer after all) but the performance did not grasp the moment at all. Why is Radiohead's 1997 headline slot more memorable than their (instantly forgettable) 2003 one? The answer is simple - given the unexpected opportunity to grab the moment they took it with passion and determination whilst the on-stage sound problems created an edge and a conection between the audience and the band. Being the band of the moment isn't the issue its about what the act puts into the performance and how much they want it to be remembered. Bowie did it whilst Oasis showed utter contempt for the festival and refused to talk to the crowd. Its why Arcade Fire shouldn't headline yet (their last appearance showed a dislike of the festival and failed to grab the crowd) but why despite the sneers Take That could provide a memorable headline slot!

So to this year. U2 have not played a UK festival for god knows how long (remember seeing them at Rock on the Tyne!), they have a real sense of the occasion (Live Aid, Red Rocks) and remember the audience reaction when The Edge walked onto Muse's set - the ingredients are there for something special. Coldplay are not everyone's cup of tea but they love the festival, know how to involve an audience and how to construct a set-list to build and hold the connection. I never listen to Coldplay albums but do listen to the bootlegs of their 2000, 2002 and 2005 performances - they are powerful stuff. I decided not to watch 2005 and went to see Robert Plant but after 15 minutes of disappointment returned to the Pyramid and I am glad I did - the banter, sing-alongs and Kylie tribute made it a memorable headline performance. From that early afternoon Other Stage slot they just got it. Beyonce is not my cup of tea but then again neither was Jay-Z and i got something from that one too!

Not the edgiest of acts but acts who could provide Glastonbury 2011 with some memorable headline performances - we have a role in making Glastonbury history - sometimes see the ingredients and potentially allow yourself when you are as old as I am to say "i was there when...! Damm i wish I had listened to myself for Blur!!

I love how this debate rages time and time again- that this act isn't big enough, or too mainstream, or criticised for being million sellers, or not hip enough! Glastonbury 'needs' memorable headline performers - its what keeps the festival at the very top and what gets shown time and time again on television. But being great or the current 'in' band does not make a memorable headline performance. I have seen too many 'great' bands turn up and just perform their act as if that is whats makes it into the annals of history of Glastonbury. To be a memorable performance there has to be a connection, a performance that grabs the moment and where there is a clear relationship between act, audience and the festival.

Think last year of how Damon by his own admission got Gorillaz performance wrong by alienating the crowd - nothing wrong with the performance but not going to go down in Glastonbury history. Or Muse who were musically perfect but a show lacking in emotion. Now compare with Blur in 2009 (which I tragically decided to miss - for Gong?) and see how the moment and the crowd's reaction and the passion of Damon made that a truely memorable headline set. I am a huge Neil Young fan but he didn't nail it - the reviews were excellent (he is a class performer after all) but the performance did not grasp the moment at all. Why is Radiohead's 1997 headline slot more memorable than their (instantly forgettable) 2003 one? The answer is simple - given the unexpected opportunity to grab the moment they took it with passion and determination whilst the on-stage sound problems created an edge and a conection between the audience and the band. Being the band of the moment isn't the issue its about what the act puts into the performance and how much they want it to be remembered. Bowie did it whilst Oasis showed utter contempt for the festival and refused to talk to the crowd. Its why Arcade Fire shouldn't headline yet (their last appearance showed a dislike of the festival and failed to grab the crowd) but why despite the sneers Take That could provide a memorable headline slot!

So to this year. U2 have not played a UK festival for god knows how long (remember seeing them at Rock on the Tyne!), they have a real sense of the occasion (Live Aid, Red Rocks) and remember the audience reaction when The Edge walked onto Muse's set - the ingredients are there for something special. Coldplay are not everyone's cup of tea but they love the festival, know how to involve an audience and how to construct a set-list to build and hold the connection. I never listen to Coldplay albums but do listen to the bootlegs of their 2000, 2002 and 2005 performances - they are powerful stuff. I decided not to watch 2005 and went to see Robert Plant but after 15 minutes of disappointment returned to the Pyramid and I am glad I did - the banter, sing-alongs and Kylie tribute made it a memorable headline performance. From that early afternoon Other Stage slot they just got it. Beyonce is not my cup of tea but then again neither was Jay-Z and i got something from that one too!

Not the edgiest of acts but acts who could provide Glastonbury 2011 with some memorable headline performances - we have a role in making Glastonbury history - sometimes see the ingredients and potentially allow yourself when you are as old as I am to say "i was there when...! Damm i wish I had listened to myself for Blur!!

I entirely agree with the sentiment above. Bands who WANT to play, who feel it is a privilege and something special are generally the one who pull it off. As outlined above... Radiohead, Jay-Z and Mccartney stick out for me on that front. I can see that U2 will pull it off (I'm not a huge fan but may catch them). Coldplay have the popularity, songs and love for the festival to pull it off. Beyonce I'm not so sure about.

word i've heard is that Beyonce has been badgering her management to get her Glastonbury ever since her hubby did it, because just as he did, she grasped what a huge deal it is.

Of course, that doesn't mean that she'll 'get it' when she plays this year, because she's had a lot of time to think about it, and she's quite probably a polished and very rehearsed performer - and I'd say that it's the spontaneity of a performance that makes it stand above a more average set. With Jay-Z, while he'd clearly put a lot of thought into it, I don't think he was quite expecting the reaction he got - but now of course with Beyonce she'll quite possibly be expecting something similar and if it doesn't happen she might feel a bit deflated.

word i've heard is that Beyonce has been badgering her management to get her Glastonbury ever since her hubby did it, because just as he did, she grasped what a huge deal it is.

Of course, that doesn't mean that she'll 'get it' when she plays this year, because she's had a lot of time to think about it, and she's quite probably a polished and very rehearsed performer - and I'd say that it's the spontaneity of a performance that makes it stand above a more average set. With Jay-Z, while he'd clearly put a lot of thought into it, I don't think he was quite expecting the reaction he got - but now of course with Beyonce she'll quite possibly be expecting something similar and if it doesn't happen she might feel a bit deflated.

Some of the posts on the Beyonce situation read like a party political broadcast for Glastonbury.

It won't go down well, its not a good thing and and I have no problem saying that if she does turn out to be the main headliner on Sunday I will be gutted. Then you have Coldplay, I mean is this just the go-to group for Glasto when nothing else can be found ? Why don't they ask them to play two nights ? It smacks to me like the eggs where all in The Stones basket which has been dropped and we end up suffering with the current situation.

Glasto is a special festival but that doesn't give them the right to mess the fans around with indulgent silly crap like Beyonce playing out the festival. Looking at other festivals going on around the world this summer some of the line-ups are incredible and its not a case of me forsaking Glasto because of one act. A festival is a sum of all its parts with Glasto being far far stronger than any other festival discounting the music but that doesn't give it the right to serve mediocrity on the other side. It usually doesn't happen but at the moment I am not very confident and really sad about the way things are shaping up.

Some of the posts on the Beyonce situation read like a party political broadcast for Glastonbury.

It won't go down well, its not a good thing and and I have no problem saying that if she does turn out to be the main headliner on Sunday I will be gutted. Then you have Coldplay, I mean is this just the go-to group for Glasto when nothing else can be found ? Why don't they ask them to play two nights ? It smacks to me like the eggs where all in The Stones basket which has been dropped and we end up suffering with the current situation.

Glasto is a special festival but that doesn't give them the right to mess the fans around with indulgent silly crap like Beyonce playing out the festival. Looking at other festivals going on around the world this summer some of the line-ups are incredible and its not a case of me forsaking Glasto because of one act. A festival is a sum of all its parts with Glasto being far far stronger than any other festival discounting the music but that doesn't give it the right to serve mediocrity on the other side. It usually doesn't happen but at the moment I am not very confident and really sad about the way things are shaping up.