Bands that should never have headlined

Guest worthyraver

Where i was everyone seemed to be totally engaged with the Springsteen performance right till the very end of a long set (whereas everyone seemed to be leaving early when The Gorillaz were on). Personally, i think he was superb. I can't comprehend why anyone wouldn't enjoy such a show. I thought the 2009 headliners were all amazing in a different way. Great booking!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an awful lot more than just me. Asking people if they'd seen him/enjoyed him the next day, nearly everyone I asked said it had bored them rigid.

I'm not claiming my little survey was scientifically accurate, but I think it's more than reasonable to deduce from the responses I got that there were a large number of people that were far from impressed.

A think any set at a festival which only appealed to people who were already die hard fans of the band must be classed as a failture. There non springsteen fanatics prob stayed in hope of finally hearing born in the USA. And the gorillaz for the same reason lost a lot of the casual listeners who knew some but not all of the songs

A think any set at a festival which only appealed to people who were already die hard fans of the band must be classed as a failture. There non springsteen fanatics prob stayed in hope of finally hearing born in the USA. And the gorillaz for the same reason lost a lot of the casual listeners who knew some but not all of the songs

It was an awful lot more than just me. Asking people if they'd seen him/enjoyed him the next day, nearly everyone I asked said it had bored them rigid.

I'm not claiming my little survey was scientifically accurate, but I think it's more than reasonable to deduce from the responses I got that there were a large number of people that were far from impressed.

Of the 6 Pyramid stage headliners that I could have seen...

Springsteen Young Blur Muse Gorillaz Wonder

....I watched Springsteen. The rest just didn't appeal at all - although I can see that they are worthy to headline, just not my cup of tea. 2 hours of Muse?! No thanks.

I'd give Springsteen 7/10. Would have been 8 were it not for the tedious 'build a house' bollocks.

I actively disliked Bruce before Glasto. Listened to his stuff a bit before the fest and thought I'd go for a song or two. Loved it in the end. Didn't need to be that long (went for a drink in the middle) but I still enjoyed it very much, as did everyone around me. Dozens of people joining in an Irish jig to American Land, for example.

I actively disliked Bruce before Glasto. Listened to his stuff a bit before the fest and thought I'd go for a song or two. Loved it in the end. Didn't need to be that long (went for a drink in the middle) but I still enjoyed it very much, as did everyone around me. Dozens of people joining in an Irish jig to American Land, for example.

Time Jonze (Guardian music editor) made me laugh with his tweet, as I remember it:

"Bruce is playing a song that was composed in 1837. Which is roughly when the set started."

His other tweets sounded equally weary.

I didn't go, I knew it wouldn't be my thing. But 2.5 hours? Man you need alot of hits for that, for a festival audience, and I don't think he has them. Good booking, but ultimately a bit doomed in my opinion.

It's an interesting discussion the whole Bruce thing. I'm a massive fan and loved every second of it but am fully prepared to admit that any headline set is going to be tedious if you're unfamiliar with 90% of the material. But here's the thing, on the one hand even Niall ;-) is prepared to admit it was an enormous booking, on the other hand the dude has never had a number one in Britain or The USA. In fact over his 30 + year career he's barely troubled the charts, so even if he'd played a standard length set most people at Glastonbury would have been unfamiliar with most of it. The big gripe seems to be that he didn't play born in the USA - was one song really going to make that much difference?!!! I think, in hindsight, given the lack of familiarity with the material, it was always going to be a disappointment for many. For me, getting to hear The River and Because The Night live were perfect moments. Anyways....

Skunk Anansie. Although on the bright side it meant I went to see Mogwai on The Other Stage who were bloody wonderful and a perfect end to the festival.

Just dragging this thread away from the 'was Bruce any good or not arguement' I've never seen such a lethargic performance from a headline band anywhere than what Oasis dished up in 2004. Not doubt worthy headliners but what a waste of time in the end. Don Letts doing a DJ set in the Left Field rescued the night for me.

The Killers in 2007 were also very lame and more a V band really.

But I think Rod Stewart was probably the most puzzling choice and duly delivered a set that was predictably terrible.

Just dragging this thread away from the 'was Bruce any good or not arguement' I've never seen such a lethargic performance from a headline band anywhere than what Oasis dished up in 2004. Not doubt worthy headliners but what a waste of time in the end. Don Letts doing a DJ set in the Left Field rescued the night for me.

The Killers in 2007 were also very lame and more a V band really.

But I think Rod Stewart was probably the most puzzling choice and duly delivered a set that was predictably terrible.

As I walked out of the crowd I bumped into a mate who'd bailed for the exact same reason. We decided to head for Groove Armada or Air (I forget which it was now) who were on the Other Stage, but via Jazzworld to check if St Germain were worth catching instead - which they were, they were stunning! We stayed there.