• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

Fantastic manager. He's had NO cash there and usually finishes in the top 7 or so. Even made it into the champo league one year. I'd like to see him at a club with some cash before utd though but id take him at utd right now over mourinho.

while Moyes hasn't got a record of spending huge amounts on players, from most angles nor do Utd (when compared to other 'top' clubs) - and many they do throw huge amounts around for tend to be the no-brainer buys (eg: Rooney). So I'm not sure that Moyes lack of experience there is as big a factor as you're seeing it as, particularly when Fergie's record with big spends isn't actually that impressive. Given Moyes' record of spending small sums and getting great players from them (Arteta, Cahill, etc), I reckon that's more than good enough.

I'm quite amused by how Utd fans have now turned on Moaniho. Two years ago it seemed like there was barely any Utd fan who didn't want him as their next manager, while now the reverse seems to be true. And the factor that seems to have brought about that change is something I've said would rule him out of Utd since before Moaniho left Chelski - that he likes to think of himself as bigger than the club he's managing. That attitude just seems so at odds with what Utd have been about in Fergie's time (if not before) that I can only see Moaniho getting the job if there's an air of desperation at Old Trafford.

while Moyes hasn't got a record of spending huge amounts on players, from most angles nor do Utd (when compared to other 'top' clubs) - and many they do throw huge amounts around for tend to be the no-brainer buys (eg: Rooney). So I'm not sure that Moyes lack of experience there is as big a factor as you're seeing it as, particularly when Fergie's record with big spends isn't actually that impressive. Given Moyes' record of spending small sums and getting great players from them (Arteta, Cahill, etc), I reckon that's more than good enough.

Long term, stability, youth, level head. Not phrases you associate with the man.

but they are things that (mostly) get associated with Utd.

Those qualities are things you get from someone without too big a head, that doesn't think himself bigger than the club - even after all these years and despite his arrogance that often shines thru, Fergie isn't going around thinking he's bigger than Utd. He knows that Utd gives him the platform to succeed as much as he personally makes Utd succeed.

Moaniho's big-headedness means that nothing but him matters - not long term, not stability, not youth, and certainly not a level head. Which is why I've been saying for years that he's completely wrong for Utd outside of them being desperate.

But ... that 'desperate' might yet be a factor, cos Utd's financial position means they can't afford to dip with their performances. So who knows what might go on in the background when Fergie finally leaves (probably this earth)? The Glazers might feel under too much pressure to take what might be considered a chance with someone like Moyes.

but they are things that (mostly) get associated with Utd.

Those qualities are things you get from someone without too big a head, that doesn't think himself bigger than the club - even after all these years and despite his arrogance that often shines thru, Fergie isn't going around thinking he's bigger than Utd. He knows that Utd gives him the platform to succeed as much as he personally makes Utd succeed.

Moaniho's big-headedness means that nothing but him matters - not long term, not stability, not youth, and certainly not a level head. Which is why I've been saying for years that he's completely wrong for Utd outside of them being desperate.

But ... that 'desperate' might yet be a factor, cos Utd's financial position means they can't afford to dip with their performances. So who knows what might go on in the background when Fergie finally leaves (probably this earth)? The Glazers might feel under too much pressure to take what might be considered a chance with someone like Moyes.

Edited by The Nal

I always though Mourinho would make a great interantional manager one day and he's gonna run out of major teams to manage soon since he wouldn't consider doing anything less.

I reckon Hughes got carried away and acted too quickly on whispers unless there's another job about to come up soon that no one knows about, he may do well to try his hand abroad.

What do people make of this Hughes issue then? Left Fulham for (maybe?) the Villa job and then didn't get it?!

I'm not entirely sure that he wants the Villa job - there could be other options.

But I'm quite surprised that he's left in some ways, after all a good Europa League run could have re-established his reputation from the damage caused by his 'failure'* at City.

(* getting sacked, rather than particularly poor results).

One option that occurred to me - probably not really that likely, but you never know - could be Barca. After all, he's an ex-player, and there's rumours of the current guy going to Chelsea.

A more likely option I reckon could be Sunderland. I'm not entirely sure that Bruce will keep his job, and Sunderland certainly have more money to throw around than Fulham.

And they don’t have a statue of a paedophile outside the ground. Big advantage.

Utd have a statue of Busby, Best, Law, Charlton outside Old Trafford.

Liverpool have Shankly.

Everton have Dixie Dean

Chelsea have Peter Osgood.

Wolves have Billy Wright

Blackpool have Jimmy Armfield.

Leeds have Bremner etc etc.

Fulham have a statue of…… Michael Jackson!!

And a shit statue of him at that. :lol::lol::lol:

don't Fulham also have a statue of one of their players too? I have a feeling they do.

I disagree I think hughes is a pretty clever level headed guy. He either has something lined up or had already decided to leave. NO way he would resign to gamble on being offered a job by someone else if he hadnt heard anything.

I'm still expecting Hughes to go Bayern tbh, he was linked with them way back in Feb. Doubt he'll get the Chelsea job and Bayern are bigger then Villa... he must have something lined up anyway. Was never expecting him to stay long term at Fulham but surprised he's gone so soon, thought he'd try string a decent Europa campaign together.

Seen we're being linked with O'Neil and Jol as the strongest contenders atm. O'Neil is a quality manager but would again just move on within a year or two once he thinks he can get a better job, I reckon Jol would be with us long term so would probably plump for him tbh. I'm just not totally 100% Jol is good enough, he hasn't got a bad record anywhere he's been, but never had a brilliant one either.

I'm surprised O'Neil isn't in the Chelsea running too.

Doesn't O'Neil like to have a nice tight grip on all affairs relating to football and his players? He wouldn't get that as Chelsea so I'd be suprised if he ever took that job. He should come to Forest.

Edited by Greeny_Musicchild

I'm still expecting Hughes to go Bayern tbh, he was linked with them way back in Feb. Doubt he'll get the Chelsea job and Bayern are bigger then Villa... he must have something lined up anyway. Was never expecting him to stay long term at Fulham but surprised he's gone so soon, thought he'd try string a decent Europa campaign together.

Seen we're being linked with O'Neil and Jol as the strongest contenders atm. O'Neil is a quality manager but would again just move on within a year or two once he thinks he can get a better job, I reckon Jol would be with us long term so would probably plump for him tbh. I'm just not totally 100% Jol is good enough, he hasn't got a bad record anywhere he's been, but never had a brilliant one either.

I'm surprised O'Neil isn't in the Chelsea running too.