U2 glasto cancelled official

Guest danbailey80

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not happy.

40th Anniversary and all that. U2 fitted the bill nicely in what was otherwise an underwhelming line up.

So, now after promises of a stella line up from Emily Eavis, fitting of such an occasion we are left with a super massive black hole (that's just for you muse fans) on the Friday headline slot.

Bumping DR is a complete non starter for me as is moving people around unless it's to remove the ridiculous clash that is Faithless / LCD Soundsystem. Miss Eavis now has what must be a significant amount of cash swilling around in her purse and she should put it to good use. If the people that run the event cannot come up with a credible alternative to U2 with 4 weeks still to go to the event then they should be held to account.

Obviously my opinion is purely subjective but so is everybody's.

Don't want to cause a massive arguement, but i myself am not a fan of the friday pyramid line up, even with U2. A couple of pages back someone posted "worst pyramid line up ever". Can anyone find a day on the pyramid that they consider worse than Dizzee headlining?

Don't want to cause a massive arguement, but i myself am not a fan of the friday pyramid line up, even with U2. A couple of pages back someone posted "worst pyramid line up ever". Can anyone find a day on the pyramid that they consider worse than Dizzee headlining?

I'm not a U2 fan and was always planning on seeing the Flaming Lips, but this is crap news for all their fans who were looking forward to what would have been a special Glastonbury moment for them.

This, however, has to be the most ridiculous thing posted on here so far:

If the people that run the event cannot come up with a credible alternative to U2 with 4 weeks still to go to the event then they should be held to account.

Not happy.

40th Anniversary and all that. U2 fitted the bill nicely in what was otherwise an underwhelming line up.

So, now after promises of a stella line up from Emily Eavis, fitting of such an occasion we are left with a super massive black hole (that's just for you muse fans) on the Friday headline slot.

Bumping DR is a complete non starter for me as is moving people around unless it's to remove the ridiculous clash that is Faithless / LCD Soundsystem. Miss Eavis now has what must be a significant amount of cash swilling around in her purse and she should put it to good use. If the people that run the event cannot come up with a credible alternative to U2 with 4 weeks still to go to the event then they should be held to account.

Obviously my opinion is purely subjective but so is everybody's.

Absolutely devastated…truly the biggest sucker-punch-in-the-stomach feeling I’ve felt music-wise. This was to be THE 2-hour event of any kind – give or take a crucial world cup match or two - of the whole 2010 Summer for me.

This was quite possibly going to be the last Glasto for me for a while, as I was going to take a break. I just turned 40 a few weeks ago, I come over from New York and it’s always a bit of an expense and time away from work (us Yanks don’t get time off). Last year, I went solo, even though my first kid was born July 13, just 2 weeks after the festival. Having a wonderful wife (who joined me for one, in '04) who lets me do that is great (while relatives and some friends give me grief), but I had the phone on me in case 'it was happening' back home [“awright, love…ummm…thing is…the Boss just came on, and I’m up near the front...give me 2.5 hrs and I’ll figure out flights back?”].

So, one more perhaps for the 40th anniversary was my thinking back in July '09. I did the deposit and insurance thing, and when U2 were confirmed, it was just about the last “must see” act that exists (Led Zep do not exist, contrary to rumours on here) that I needed to see at Glasto, apart from the Stones and maybe Prince. I’d done Macca, Bruce, Radiohead/REM in the same year, missed The Who (who aren’t ever doing it again) so U2 was just the icing on the cake i needed to go on Glasto sabbatical for a while. The last act I had to see at Glasto. And for a week or two, we were thinking we also had the Stones!

My situation has changed a bit though, I’m not working full-time, should be spending more time looking for new work, and I’ve been fairly disappointed with the lack of “historical significance” of the 40th anniversary lineup apart from the headliners. As I’ve said on here before, Glasto is Glasto, and it’s still the best weekend ever, and there’s more than the music, but the thing is…I do LOVE the music bit and expect so much more at Glasto than I can get anywhere else. Losing U2 really really changes how this Glasto will be remembered for.

nex year in 2011, there’s a good chance the wife will be pregnant with our second (and final) kid, I’ll have to pull teeth again to leave a preg wife for the second time in 3 years for a music festival in another country, while my young one will be just 2 yrs old, etc… etc.. but i have a feeling that U2 will likely be rebooked for next year now, with Eavis announcing it in the Glasto Q News on Sunday… and we’ll get Radiohead and Elbow or something…next year is going to be a stunner. perhaps that's the one i should bow out with...

I can't see myself making up an excuse to employ the insurance on my ticket for this year, but it did enter my thoughts over the weekend in the unlikelihood (i thought) that U2 would cancel. wife even asked "you still have the insurance, right?" as if she was suggesting that might be a rational choice to consider since i'd been complaining about things like the Saturday this year, and the costs involved. obviously, i don't want to do that, and won't, but it's scary that it actually entered my thoughts. Glasto is so much more than U2, but part of me was wondering if i must choose btw this year and next year? or try to justify both...

Obviously, I wish him well and all, but the selfish bit of me without knowing what happened, wants to ask “Bono…what the fook were you doing? How did this happen?”. Back in the 80’s there used to be a bit of strain at times between band members/management and Bono over some of the stunts he was pulling during gigs, like climbing scaffolding and causing near riots from fans trying to get to him when he made himself accessible to the crowd. If this was something that could have been avoided, I’d be truly fookin annoyed. as must be the stage crews who had some stable wage expectations for June and July.

anyway...sorry to ramble on (ooh, that would be a great idea for friday at 10pm!)

I do feel sorry for the people who were really looking forward to seeing them, I'd hate it if it happened with an act I wanted to see.

I'm just very interested to see what happens next.