U2 glasto cancelled official

Guest danbailey80

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F*** im gutted/frustrated/angry. U2 were one of the big reasons Im making another 10 hour bus journey to glastonbury. I know ill still have a good time but U2 are a band ive constantly missed for one reason or another and Ive always wanted to see them, especially in such a fantastic setting. The line up isnt really to my personal taste this year so im feeling completely uninspired. If most of the budget has been spent on booking U2 then fingers crossed they can wax it all on booking someone else. Doves/Coldplay/Elbow/Radiohead just dont do it for me. Fingers crossed Mr McCartney answers the call as he is just down the road that weekend.

can petshop boys be put on instead? Solve friday and saturday problems in one go :P

As I said in the other thread, I feel deeply sorry for him and his family, my mum suffered a very simillar injury 10 years ago and was in hospital for nearly 10 weeks. Not a nice situation for anyone to be in. Regardless of your feelings towards the band and the music they play, remember he is a human being as well and no one should have to go through something as horrific as that.

Gutted at this news. Had hoped it wasn't coming.

The noises suggest that U2 are also really disappointed, which is good to hear. It suggests that they'll make the effort to appear in 2011.

In the meantime get wll Bono - Glasto won't be the same without you but it'll still be great. And I'll put money on whoever replaces them in the Friday headline slot will do a cover of With or Without You.

since they were first announced, i've gone from slightly interested to really looking forward to seeing them, so i'm gutted with this announcement.

Initially i was going to see the bootleg beatles, but I imagine the acoustic tent is going to fill up very early now.

whilst the line up isn't the most important factor with glastonbury, it's really looking a bit meh at the moment, especially for the 40th (and the Eavis's bigged up the anniversery, so i think that's fair comment)

Still, it will be the best Glastonbury ever, as Michael will tell you on the 28/6

Well. Not a fan of U2, would never have gone to see them, but can't resist the temptation to guess who might replace them. With an underlying desire to have somebody befitting of celebrating the 40th anniversary, and therefore preferably somebody big who hasn't played before, I think it may still fall into two categories; those who fit wholly with the aforementioned 'clause' but may be a tricky prospect, and those who may not quite fit it but are possibly more likely to do it. Maybe three categories, add in legends who have already done it but could again and still be a big(gish) thing. Sod it, make it four, have a 'WTF surely not?' category as well.

And no, I can't be arsed to see who's playing where when to see if there's even any logistical probability of them appearing.

So, in the first camp we could have:

Prince

Rolling Stones

Clapton/Cream

Elton Bloody John

Tina Bloody Turner

Led Zep (yeah, right, like that'll ever happen)

Pink Floyd (see above)

Queen (not impossible, maybe with a number of guest vocalists a la the Freddie tribute gig)

Depeche Mode (still big in the states?)

I won't dignify talk of the Faux Faces.

Camp beta:

Coldplay (didn't Chris Martin once say all the Eavis' ever had to do was call and they'd be there?)

White Stripes

Foo Fighters

Flaming Lips (always a good show but maybe not quite 'big' enough?)

Moby (see above)

The tertiary sector:

Bowie

McCartney

Roger Waters/The Wall

The Cure

Radiohead

What the forth?:

Metallica

Sabbath/Ozzy

Motorhead

Green Day (actually maybe should be in the first group, plus they're in the country around then no?)

Bon Jovi

Robbie Williams/Take Shat

Carter USM

Kate Bush

Dr Who Live

Michael Eavis' All Stars, compered by Rolf Harris and Eddie Izzard.

There, got that out of my system, back to normal now...

Edited by radish

I was going to see U2, because I think it would have been special (and I'm seeing the Flaming Lips at Green Man), but the FLips are the one band who could still take a Pyramid audience of unbelievers with them. They've got previous:

">

You could have said the same for Pulp in 1995.

When the White Stripes pulled out of T in the Park 6 or 7 years ago, The Lips were suddenly elevated to main stage headliners. Despite a large and vocal minority of people not having a clue who they were, they took it up a notch and really pulled a triumph out of the bag.

It would be better than Dizzee Rascal, at least.

I was sort of casual about Dizzee rather than a big fan. Then his set last year was undoubtedly the show of the weekend. If they decide to make him headliner, good on them. I suspect they will draft someone in but if they don't, he'll be great. If your Friday headliner material has to be "big rock spectacular", walk round the side and watch The Flaming Lips, you won't be disappointed.

I was sort of casual about Dizzee rather than a big fan. Then his set last year was undoubtedly the show of the weekend. If they decide to make him headliner, good on them. I suspect they will draft someone in but if they don't, he'll be great.

Wasn't planning on seeing them myself but really feel for all of you who were looking forward to them. :P Fingers crossed that you will all find something to do on Friday night instead that will take some of the disappointment away!

Also really feel for the Eavis family - must be a nightmare when one of the biggest names on the bill pulls out this close to the festival, though I suppose there is always a risk that it might happen. Surely getting a big name band this late is almost impossible, lesser bands (whether bumped up or bought in) will be criticised for not being big enough.........don't think they'll be able to stop all the whinging whatever they do.....

Edited by IamChappu

ok here goes and dont hate me u simply cannot replace u2 with dizze at all its wrong as good as many people think he is its not right i do propa hope bono makes a speedy recovery but i think pink floyd (in my dreams ) should reform and do it failing that put the bootleg beatles there there i said it