U2 glasto cancelled official

Guest danbailey80

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kylie had to cancel in '05, so Basement Jaxx got moved up. In '97 Steve Winwood cancelled and Ash got bumped up...has happened before, and usually somebody gets a higher billing than before.

Hell of a switch that really...at least old shakey put in an appearance last year! Still not worse than me heading to oxegen to see Bowie only to have the f*ckin' Darkness instead.

nowt else to add really but very sad over here,god knows what happens now with replacing/bumping but not even gonna bother.I shall just wait and see although my 2nd choice of the flamin lips makes me happy

This has seriously weakened the Line-up now and its the 40th anniversary!!! If Stevie goes down with anything....well it would be a total wash-out!

Last went in 2007 and pound for pound I think that then was a far stronger line-up.

Also being a real band fan why is there an increasing amount of dance and rap on the main stages when there is an entire village for the likes now? :P

This has seriously weakened the Line-up now and its the 40th anniversary!!! If Stevie goes down with anything....well it would be a total wash-out!

Last went in 2007 and pound for pound I think that then was a far stronger line-up.

Also being a real band fan why is there an increasing amount of dance and rap on the main stages when there is an entire village for the likes now? :P

What on Earth? Have you even read what you've just put mate? You expect them to just pull a massive act from nowhere with 4 weeks to spare? Do you know why these things are usually arranged months in advance? They may pull something out of the hat but it can't be expected, to say they should be 'held to account' if they can't is ridiculous

You have contracts, stage sets, staff, travel arrangements, rehearsals to sort out.

You can rule out anyone playing elsewhere that night (or probably night before/after)

You can rule out most acts not touring

You can rule out anyone with an exclusive deal for another festival

You can rule out pretty much any band that doesn't exist

You can rule out a lot of acts touring that have tickets to sell for their own shows/other fests

You have to allow for Glastonbury paying less than other major festivals do their headliners

Fair enough, you don't like the line-up, other people do, that's subjective opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it. But you need to detach your own sense of entitlement from the practicalities of getting a suitable replacement in what is, in reality, a very very short space of time to do so.

Any major event has a contingency plan. Being a little pissed at the news may have clouded my judgement somewhat however I do not expect Led Zep to stand in as has been suggested but somebody along the lines in musical style to U2 can't be too impossible within the given time frame.

As for all the contracts etc to which you refer, I have found that a significant amount of money can usually work wonders regardless of Glastonbury paying less. Filling in for U2 will create an unprecedented amount of positive publicity for the artist and lead to a significant increase in sales etc.

We will find out in due course but for all the bands that are not available there will be others that are.

As for actually putting on another show it will be a piece of cake compared to the amount of work that would be required to put U2 on stage Friday night.

I am positive somebody decent will be brought in to replace U2 even if you don't think it is possible.

Edited by pinback

Any major event has a contingency plan. Being a little pissed at the news may have clouded my judgement somewhat however I do not expect Led Zep to stand in as has been suggested but somebody along the lines in musical style to U2 can't be too impossible within the given time frame.

Do you think they have a contingency plan for the thousand-odd acts who will be appearing over the course of the 5 days?!

I'm not saying they won't get a hugely impressive replacement in for them, just that it's hardly fair to criticise them if they don't.

Que sera sera.

a smaller act pulling out isn't half as devastating to the festival as one of three headliners

even if a second headliner pulled out, they could just bump bands up and people probably wouldn't complain too much

but the headliner - they must have a backup plan in mind, because as is quite clear from some of the posts on these forums, the headliner of a festival is the main selling point for some people

if Dizzee gets bumped then that will seem very sh!tty (if they could get Pulp in a week in 95 then they can definitely get somebody in four weeks)

Do you think they have a contingency plan for the thousand-odd acts who will be appearing over the course of the 5 days?!

I'm not saying they won't get a hugely impressive replacement in for them, just that it's hardly fair to criticise them if they don't.

Que sera sera.

Completly understand that there is know reason for people to believe me on this & even then it's not 100% confirmed but my very good friend (yes I know that old one) works for a promoters & they are saying it's pretty nailed on to be Gorillaz replacing U2.

No because they don't need a contingency plan for all the acts. That would be a bit daft. However a plan if say one of the headliners could not make it with 4 weeks notice is not beyond expectation especially as it has happened before with Kylie.

So, can we have now Muse headlining on the Friday night now and PSB remain on the Sat night - possibly being bumped to Pyramid headliner -

and I don't have to contend with the Muse/PSB clash! Purely selfish reasons of course!