Bruce Springsteen

The Nal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off to see him tomorrow in Manchester, excitedamundo! Not seen him in his own gig before, but saw him absolutely tear up Glastonbury a few years ago (what a year that was!!). Does he not have a support act? Can't find any mention of one anywhere. I know he does epicly long sets, but still thought he'd have someone one. Will be the first gig I've been to where the main act hasn't been supported if that's the case.

I'm off to see him tomorrow in Manchester, excitedamundo! Not seen him in his own gig before, but saw him absolutely tear up Glastonbury a few years ago (what a year that was!!). Does he not have a support act? Can't find any mention of one anywhere. I know he does epicly long sets, but still thought he'd have someone one. Will be the first gig I've been to where the main act hasn't been supported if that's the case.

No support No. Only advice I can give you is to try get close. Get there early and try get in the pit if there is one. Means you can get to the toilets/bar easier (handy when its a 3 hour show) and theres more room in the pit anyway.

But more importantly - enjoy! I've seen him 13-14 times now and Glasto was the "worst" of all those shows.

cheers! I'm actually seated unfortunately coz others I'm goin with wanted to be, but should still be good. At least it'll be easy for me to get to the bar/toilet and I won't need scuba diving gear!! Seems he did nearly a 4 hour set in Madrid the other day, surpassing his Milan set. Wish we had curfews like those, mind you he's startingat 7 so he could go on nearly as long probably!

Sunderland was good, but Manchester last night was spectacular, simply one of the greatest gigs I've seen out of the hundreds and hundreds I've been to, possibly the very best. He did 3 hours 5 minutes in sunderland then 3 hours 30 last night. By the time he threw in 'Twist and Shout' to finish it was absolutely bouncing. Setlist was: -

1. Badlands

2. No Surrender

3. We Take Care Of Our Own

4. Wrecking Ball

5. Death To My Hometown

6. My City Of Ruins

7. Spirit In The Night

8. The E Street Shuffle

9. Jack Of All Trades

10. Atlantic City

11. Prove It All Night ('78 intro)

12. Two Hearts

13. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

14. Darlington County

15. Shackle and Drawn

16. Waiting on a Sunny Day

17. Save My Love

18. The Promise (solo piano)

19. The River

20. The Rising

21. Out in the Street

22. Land of Hope and Dreams

23. We Are Alive

24. Thunder Road

25. Born to Run

26. Bobby Jean

27. Cadillac Ranch

28. Dancing in the Dark

29. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

30. Twist & Shout

Saw the show last night in Manchester. First time watchin Bruce and it was excellent! Loved the encore when it had gone dark. It seemed to add to the occasion and atmosphere within the stadium and the set list was great. Was hoping that he would play Thunder Road and it was nice to see it pop up in the encore as well.

Loved the little moments such as grabbing the young lad on stage for 'Waiting on a Sunny Day' and the crowd members for 'Dancing in the Dark'. Will definitely be making sure I'm at his next UK shows. Great gig!

Edited by stylishkids

Was an excellent gig, my only disappointment was no Glory Days because he played it in sunderland the night before and IoW the night after. But no matter, I was prepared for that because he's dropped it in quite a few of his recent sets. How he can have so much energy at 62 is amazing, he never stops moving!!

I still think a support act is needed. The stadium was not full when he came on and it took a few songs before it filled up and the atmosphere started getting going. If he'd had support I think it would've started stronger.

But I'm nitpicking. A brilliant gig and I hope he comes back to manchester in a few years!!

Yea I know, was a very good set, considering he did 25 minutes more than he did at sunderland!

I figured some might be stuck in traffic after some of that rain, but I have to say my journey was fine. The M62 was clear as was Broadway near oldham. So there might have been severe problems around southern manchester, but during the first 2 brucie songs people were pouring into the pitch, making it look like they'd just been in the bar queing at the usual 25 deep crowds that gather at the Etihad's bars (they really need to sort that out). Think if he'd had support they would'be been out before then.

the highlights on Sky Arts were poor enough. 3 new songs and Twist and Shout. Out of context is looks like a total bog standard cheese fest.

Highlights of Bruce don't really work as well. Should show the damn thing. Stupid from SkyArts.

Was very much a greatest hits style setlist compared to him at Glastonbury a couple of years back but he nailed it. He was in a playful mood with the crowd and just got it right, as he does..

while acknowledging that the set-list doesn't always tell the whole story..... that's a fairly impressive set!

no Rocky Ground or the 'Apollo' medley in the uk yet?

Yeah the set list is only half the story and I've got very little to compare it to (Sunderland and a bit of Glastonbury) so it was good to see some on BTX debating it being the best UK show he's ever done. He was just bang on form.

Highlights of Bruce don't really work as well. Should show the damn thing. Stupid from SkyArts.

Was very much a greatest hits style setlist compared to him at Glastonbury a couple of years back but he nailed it. He was in a playful mood with the crowd and just got it right, as he does..

Sky wanted to show all of it, blame Landau for the rations they got to broadcast. Definitely a better festival set list, helped by the new stuff being far superior (on record and live) to the dire last album

obviously they wanted to show all of it... maybe they should have thought about 'minor' details, like permission (?) before the set had started

Sky were crap IMHO. Seems to be happening more and more though. TITP/BBC struggled with Eminem and Beyonce. When Springsteen played Rock in Rio a few weeks back they thought they were going to broadcast the full set online but only got about half an hour. Glastonbury seems to be the only one where it's tied up in advance but even then they only got a bit of Neil Young in 2009. Ultimately the decision to broadcast only 4 songs rests with Landau.

Sky were crap IMHO. Seems to be happening more and more though. TITP/BBC struggled with Eminem and Beyonce. When Springsteen played Rock in Rio a few weeks back they thought they were going to broadcast the full set online but only got about half an hour. Glastonbury seems to be the only one where it's tied up in advance but even then they only got a bit of Neil Young in 2009. Ultimately the decision to broadcast only 4 songs rests with Landau.

You should have seen the ITV coverage of IoW in 2009. They kept saying that Neil Young was coming up and then the programme ended without them showing any of it.