The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

I enjoyed "Freakonomics". Thought it was well adapted.

freakonomics is the only film where i have read the book first :D

all good, apart from the sumo bit - tad boring and the subtitles were really hard to read. did enjoy the sumo bit in the book though.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been watching Civilisation: The End of the West? on Channel 4 Sunday?

about 9 posts up..

haven't seen last nights yet though as I had to be up at 4:30am this morning.

Apologies.

Thoughts?

not sure till I've read the book, but yes I agree with the general premise of the series and by displaying a certain economic / social model to Asia via Hong Kong we may have started our own decline. There maybe a few other factors in there though climate / geography etc..

Edited by lost

not sure till I've read the book, but yes I agree with the general premise of the series and by displaying a certain economic / social model to Asia via Hong Kong we may have started our own decline. There maybe a few other factors in there though climate / geography etc..

That was only one factor: competition. What about the others: science based democracy, home ownership, and medicine?

That was only one factor: competition. What about the others: science based democracy, home ownership, and medicine?

science yes, property rights as in if you make an investment in something or create something you need to know someone else won't come along and take it at the end. Though I'm a big believer in democracy I'm not that sure it is essential, its more most of the non-democratic systems we have seen have been terrible. Note really sure about medicine, I'll be interested to hear his arguments but I would think a more important one coming up maybe demographics.

science yes, property rights as in if you make an investment in something or create something you need to know someone else won't come along and take it at the end. Though I'm a big believer in democracy I'm not that sure it is essential, its more most of the non-democratic systems we have seen have been terrible. Note really sure about medicine, I'll be interested to hear his arguments but I would think a more important one coming up maybe demographics.

Consumption is next.

The matching of rights to home ownership was contrasted with South America's cultural evolution in that they maintained a land ownership among elites.

Medicine focused on using Africa as a scientific laboratory.

Got the 2 hrs 42 min long version! Boots up for the evening! I'll post my review.

I've just downloaded a 8 gb 720p rip of senna, not sure what length it is though, is there different versions?

Just watched Senna there. Really good but as expected, unbelievably sad at the end. Gut wrenching stuff.

I've just downloaded a 8 gb 720p rip of senna, not sure what length it is though, is there different versions?

Yeah theres one which is about 1 hr 45 and one thats 2 hrs 45. The longer one has journos and industry guys talking throughout the film. I think thats the main difference as I only flicked through that one but watched the 1 hr 45 version, which I think is the theatrical release maybe.

Edited by The Nal

• 4 weeks later...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Bill Maher doc about religion, it's a great watch.

Maher - "it worries me that people are running my country who believe in a talking snake"

Senator - "you don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate though..."

Class film :P

Watched this at the weekend. Thought it was very funny. Yeah its one sided etc but so what. Some very funny interviews with some very crazy people.

TT:3D is a good documentary regardless of whether you like the sport or not.

that's good to hear :)

i saw the newspaper advert, saw a page full of 4 and 5* reviews for a film i hadnt heard of with a man in a helmet...

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE STILL ALIVE?

it asked me, i have no idea, but i want to know!?! Then i found out it's about a motorbike race, not space.....

but From Dust To Glory was an amazing docu, so i've realised maybe i actually am into sport, i just don't like the soccer nerds who talk about nothing BUT sport :P