The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

• 1 month later...

kermode used to bang on about that, he loved it. must check it out.

Its really really good! Some of the gig footage is great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSx700tJ5Q

Watched 'The War on Democracy' by John Pilger last night. Essential viewing.

Got the 16 disc Pilger boxset. Should keep me busy for a while.

Have you seen The War You Don't See? Essential stuff on how we're being so badly let down by journalism.

Edited by The Nal

Finally got round to watching "End Of The Century" the Ramones doc

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368711/

my copy is shocking quality, quite blocky, with 7/10 sound, and out of sync. but ive finally gotten myself a PC in the front room cos I was sick of buying set top box after set top box before I finally sank in that all I ever wanted these set top boxes to do was emulate what a PC can do.

so anyway, i fixed the sync in vlc player - got it perfect, and watched a brilliant documentary about a band whos music i really like, but about whom i knew very very little.

it was a great insight, and I highly recommend it.

Finally got round to watching "End Of The Century" the Ramones doc

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368711/

my copy is shocking quality, quite blocky, with 7/10 sound, and out of sync. but ive finally gotten myself a PC in the front room cos I was sick of buying set top box after set top box before I finally sank in that all I ever wanted these set top boxes to do was emulate what a PC can do.

so anyway, i fixed the sync in vlc player - got it perfect, and watched a brilliant documentary about a band whos music i really like, but about whom i knew very very little.

it was a great insight, and I highly recommend it.

it's a great film...Johnny Ramone was a complete c**t

Anyone seen Oil city Confidential? Julian Temple's movie about Dr Feelgood.

Really good. Never knew anything about Canvey Island or the fact they're all mad as bicycles! Highly recommend it. Music aint bad either.

Heard Wilko Johnson talking about it on 6 Music today. Gonna check it out

Anyone seen Oil city Confidential? Julian Temple's movie about Dr Feelgood.

Really good. Never knew anything about Canvey Island or the fact they're all mad as bicycles! Highly recommend it. Music aint bad either.

Yeah, excellent film, I'd always had the feeling that I wouldn't like Dr Feelgood, based on stuff I'd heard about them (rather than actually hearing them) but this really surprised me. Superb film

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised there hasn't been more of a buzz about this.

"Marley". Looks great.

That does indeed look very good.

I've seen quite a bit of that footage before, but this seems like its going to be a more definitive look at his life, plus some new interviews with the family. Very much looking forwad to it

• 1 month later...

kind of watched "Collapse" on saturday afternoon. I was nodding in and out of sleep, but what I saw was awesome, and I am definitely going to watch it properly the very first opportunity I get.

I had never heard of Michael Ruppert until I heard him on Joe Rogan's podcast. At first he seemed like a bit of a crackpot, a "doomsdayist" if you will. And then he and rogan started talking about how he exposed the CIA's drug dealing in the USA, and how he was thrown out of the LAPD, shunned, and had attempts made on his life - at this stage I began to take him a bit more seriously and downloaded the movie.

He comes across as a very credible, intelligent and lucid man. What he has to say has been proven correct, and what he predicts is equally credible. A worrying look at the near future.

Trailer

this is the footage of him confronting a director of the CIA with his allegations over widescale drug dealing within the organisation.

fascinating stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Marley last night. Pretty good. Get a good sense of the mans personal life, his personality, family and friends but it ignored a lot of the music which I didn't like.

And its 45 minutes too long with too many talking heads. Good though, well worth a watch.

Edited by The Nal

Watched Marley last night. Pretty good. Get a good sense of the mans personal life, his personality, family and friends but it ignored a lot of the music which I didn't like.

And its 45 minutes too long with too many talking heads. Good though, well worth a watch.

I watched it last week after picking up a hookie copy for a couple of quid. :)

I felt it was far too brief about many aspects of his life, but felt there were some great aspects to it - particularly from Bunny Wailer (Bunny Livingston) who clearly holds some grudges about some of what went on but didn't still didn't seem to let those colour his other memories.

It was interesting to hear the origin for some of the songs ('small axe', and 'duppy conqueror'), which I'd always assumed were about different subjects.

I knew from reviews I'd read that there wasn't too much music in the film. There's films of live shows for that sort of thing if that's what you want.

My missus says it has a sad ending. I pointed out that it didn't require a spoiler to know how it finished. :lol:

I watched it last week after picking up a hookie copy for a couple of quid. :)

I felt it was far too brief about many aspects of his life, but felt there were some great aspects to it - particularly from Bunny Wailer (Bunny Livingston) who clearly holds some grudges about some of what went on but didn't still didn't seem to let those colour his other memories.

It was interesting to hear the origin for some of the songs ('small axe', and 'duppy conqueror'), which I'd always assumed were about different subjects.

I knew from reviews I'd read that there wasn't too much music in the film. There's films of live shows for that sort of thing if that's what you want.

My missus says it has a sad ending. I pointed out that it didn't require a spoiler to know how it finished. :lol:

:lol:

In fairness to her, it was very sad. They spent a lot of time on his sickness.

Yeah I didn't know there wasn't a lot of music in it - with regard to the writing anyway. I did enjoy it. Was a very honest portrayal of the man.

Never knew he was such a horndog!!

Never knew he was such a horndog!!

really? :blink::lol:

That's one of the things he's most famous for. 11 kids by 7 different women kinda makes it very clear. :lol:

I'd always presumed tho that his womanising had been done out of sight of Rita (tho with her probably being aware of it). I hadn't realised that much (if not all) of it had been done openly, and that his marriage to Rita was much less of a ongoing thing than their continuing formal marriage and her continuing membership of the Wailers had always suggested to me.

really? :blink::lol:

That's one of the things he's most famous for. 11 kids by 7 different women kinda makes it very clear. :lol:

I'd always presumed tho that his womanising had been done out of sight of Rita (tho with her probably being aware of it). I hadn't realised that much (if not all) of it had been done openly, and that his marriage to Rita was much less of a ongoing thing than their continuing formal marriage and her continuing membership of the Wailers had always suggested to me.

Yeah was shocked at that. I knew he had a few kids but 11 by 7 women!!?

He was jammin' alright.

Edited by The Nal

• 2 months later...

Watched two documentaries last night.

Marley which I really enjoyed. I didn't know alot about Bob Marley before watching it so found it very insightful.

The other one I watched was F for Fake. A documentary by Orson Welles. I knew nothing about it before watching it but absolutely loved it. Don't think I have ever seen anything similiar to it.

Still got the Klitschko brothers documentary to watch at some point this week.

• 4 weeks later...