The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

have you watched "Dear Zachary" ? makes the cove look like a disney film imho.

Just watched this today and I don't usually cry at films but with this one I found myself with a lump in my throat the whole way through. Bloody brilliant doc, although I did find it really hard to watch at some points.

Edited by BlackHole2006

Watching this again. Reagan - American Idol. So so good.

Cool that someones uploaded it

I'm desperatley trying to get hold of a version of a Storyville documentary called 1968, which if memory serves me (must have come out in 2008) was mostly based around Daniel Cohn-Bendit and the French student protests (plus all else that was happening in the world)

So if anyone has any leads, hit me up!

Edited by Alcatraz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

West Of Memphis is fantastic, the most complete, unbiased and well put together movie about the West Memphis 3 in my humble opinion. I got a little misty eyed at the end tbh.

warning - there is some quite disturbing footage in there - if you are a little sensitive. for anyone familiar with the other 3 films you should be ok, but there is some footage and photographs I have never seen before, and I have been following the case quite closely for about 10 years.

West Of Memphis is fantastic, the most complete, unbiased and well put together movie about the West Memphis 3 in my humble opinion. I got a little misty eyed at the end tbh.

warning - there is some quite disturbing footage in there - if you are a little sensitive. for anyone familiar with the other 3 films you should be ok, but there is some footage and photographs I have never seen before, and I have been following the case quite closely for about 10 years.

I have only seen bits of the first two documentaries. Should I watch all of the 3 documentaries before West Of Memphis?

not necessarily, I would recommend maybe watching the first one properly if you really want to. 1 is definitely worth a watch, 2 is a bit of a witch-hunt tbh, and doesnt come out very favourably in light of evidence that was later uncovered.

I would say that wom is a pretty good overview of the full case, with a proper conclusion obviously, rather than speculation and rumour. it also has a lot more WTF moments.

Searching For Sugar Man was awesome. Hope it wins the oscar.

If you don't know about it already then don't watch the trailer or look into it to much as it kind of spoils it.

Great story!

Didn't know it had been nominated. Loved it when I saw it. Was interestng discussing it afterwards with a South African friend (who hadn't seen the film) but he already knew all about it. Crazy how big he is there. The friend is only in his early 20s, so wouldn't have been there at the start, but he's still so improtant there.

Didn't know it had been nominated. Loved it when I saw it. Was interestng discussing it afterwards with a South African friend (who hadn't seen the film) but he already knew all about it. Crazy how big he is there. The friend is only in his early 20s, so wouldn't have been there at the start, but he's still so improtant there.

Yeah it is a brilliant story.

Had to go and buy the soundtrack album off amazon. Great music.

If you don't know about it already then don't watch the trailer or look into it to much as it kind of spoils it.

Great story!

just grabbing it now. might get a chance to watch it this afty.

Great story!

This! >

I loved it and I am compelled to buy his albums.

sugarman - only read if you have seen the film.

I read some things that have since really soured my enjoyment of the film, apparently he had a successful tour of Australia and released a live album in the 80's, so he wasn't as "lost" or unaware of success as the film makes out.

shame I found that out really, and I'm kinda trying to discount it from my head.

sugarman - only read if you have seen the film.

I read some things that have since really soured my enjoyment of the film, apparently he had a successful tour of Australia and released a live album in the 80's, so he wasn't as "lost" or unaware of success as the film makes out.

shame I found that out really, and I'm kinda trying to discount it from my head.

Noticed that aswell. I know the doc just focuses on South African side of events but could have done with a 5 minute summarise Even towards the end of the doc the filmaker could have said they also discovered he was a star in Oz aswell and even had a tour towards the end of the seventies.

Still a fantastic watch. Bought the blu-ray now.

Noticed that aswell. I know the doc just focuses on South African side of events but could have done with a 5 minute summarise Even towards the end of the doc the filmaker could have said they also discovered he was a star in Oz aswell and even had a tour towards the end of the seventies.

Still a fantastic watch. Bought the blu-ray now.

Dont get me wrong, I loved it, but 99% of the charm of the movie was that this guy had been in the wilderness, unaware of any fame whatsoever for 30+ years, and to find that he was aware people thought he was dead, and released an album called "Rodriguez Alive!" in response to those rumours, followed by a succesful tour kinda took some of that away. Part of me wishes I didnt know that, whilst part of me is glad he is getting some recognition for his talent and vision.. It wouldnt have been the same film if they had acknowledged that, and that feels a bit sneaky on the film-makers part

Dont get me wrong, I loved it, but 99% of the charm of the movie was that this guy had been in the wilderness, unaware of any fame whatsoever for 30+ years, and to find that he was aware people thought he was dead, and released an album called "Rodriguez Alive!" in response to those rumours, followed by a succesful tour kinda took some of that away. Part of me wishes I didnt know that, whilst part of me is glad he is getting some recognition for his talent and vision.. It wouldnt have been the same film if they had acknowledged that, and that feels a bit sneaky on the film-makers part

Oh no, I wish I didn't know that. Those sneaky film-makers!

Finally caught up with Dear Zachary and it is very, very sad.

I still cried more at The Cove though which I think is because I feel more responsible for that. I'm particularly good at guilt tears though Hotel Rwanda is the film that has made me cry the most and I went into work and set up my give as you earn to Oxfam the next day.

Did anyone see Queen of Versailles on BBC4 the other night? Brilliant film about the US 'time share king' and his trophy wife, and their plans to build the biggest home in America (modelled on Versailles. Or rather the Paris hotel in Vegas), but then the crash of 2008 hits and it becones so much more. Pretty much all that is wrong with the American Dream. And I say that as someone with a lot of affection for Americans. Reminds me of Capturing the Friedmans, in that it starts off planned as one film, then suddenly the ffilm takes a whole different route.