The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

Give this one a watch if you haven't already seen it.

I haven't but I have it favourited after seeing it on the suggestions. Will defo give it a watch.

There was a Trevor McDonald doc on the mafia that started last week.. first episode was ok but nothing to get excited about.

Nabbed that one too. Worth an effort.

Absolutely cannot wait for "Going Clear", a critical documentary about scientology. It premiered in the US on HBO last night so I am going to be checking the usual places every 30 seconds until its up!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4257858/

They had a whole legal team helping with the wording! Been looking forward to this one too.

The Jinx. Just wow. The ending is one of the greatest things I've seen on telly.

They had a whole legal team helping with the wording! Been looking forward to this one too.

The Jinx. Just wow. The ending is one of the greatest things I've seen on telly.

It was stunning, I kind of knew it was coming due to something I had accidentally read on my twitter feed, and I thought the

title of the episode should have been changed

It was stunning, I kind of knew it was coming due to something I had accidentally read on my twitter feed, and I thought the

title of the episode should have been changed

Well all I knew

is that he had been arrested but didn't know how or what lead to it etc. Couldn't believe it when he went into that toilet with the mic on! Genuinely, my jaw dropped.

Any sign of Going Clear? Had a quick scan there but nowt. Just the book and audiobook.

I found a magnet link to a Hardcoded subs version via reddit, but I have set it to remotely download at home, so cant verify its authenticity or quality as yet, I'll be home in a couple of hours.

the reddit thread is here if you want to try it yourself?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/comments/30qsxl/going_clear_2015just_a_heads_up_alex_gibneys/

Going Clear was brilliant, I was aware of a lot of it, but the

beatings, torture, sending execs to "the hole"

etc was a real eye opener. the cults religious (non taxable) status needs reviewing asap, their amazing financial clout stunned me too, I knew they were wealthy - as any "religion" is, but the extent of what they are sitting on was a shock.

Thought it was ok. Nothing I didn't know before really. Went on a bit and was basically a hatchet job. Surprised they were allowed to say the things they did about Travolta and Cruise though!

No crazier than any other religion really. Check out some of the batshit crazy stuff Christians will be at this weekend. Nailing themselves to crosses, self flagellation etc etc.

This is on tonight. Costa Del Sol: The Last Brits Standing. Having been every few years for the last 13-14 years or so, the decline in the place is incredible really. Full of retired British, and rough Irish lads/criminals. Very expensive now and very tacky in places.

Also, this is genius.

Edited by The Nal

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed Montage of Heck. Not "enjoyable" in the traditional sense but goes quite deep into Kurts mind.

Finally watched the last episode of The Jinx... What an ending!

On of TVs all time great "real" moments for me.

Edited by The Nal

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread.

Watched Blackfish this morning. The scene of the whale being taken into captivity and the male trainer being repeatedly dragged under were pretty harrowing stuff. I went to Seaworld about 10 years ago but certainly wouldn't again!

Way behind the times but watching "Dreams of a Life" about the death of Joyce Vincent, the lady whose body was found on her sofa with the TV still on, 3 years after she died, and only then because her flat was due to be repossessed due to non-payment of rent . I remember the story at the time and couldn't believe someone with a family and a work history could die unnoticed for such a period of time.

Watched Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist last night, interesting documentary about an amazing cyclist who was caught up in the whole drugs thing, such a talented guy.

Yeah really well done. It made me hate those people who were in on it but it made me happy knowing that the terrible secret had been spilt.

Coming to this several years late :lol: Just watched this and what niggles at me is that cows, chickens, sheep, etcetc are slaughtered in not dissimilar conditions (sometimes having never lived in the wild as the dolphins do) much closer to home but somehow it's not worth the documentary. Is it because dolphins are cute, or perceived as smart, or what? Chickens are pretty smart when left to their own devices!

Anyway, with Blackfish and The Cove in less than 48 hours I'll be skipping my fish fingers for a while.

Also, Dreams of a Life was really intriguing (it's on UK Netflix) - it made me want to call up everyone I've ever known and check they're still alive!

Coming to this several years late :lol: Just watched this and what niggles at me is that cows, chickens, sheep, etcetc are slaughtered in not dissimilar conditions (sometimes having never lived in the wild as the dolphins do) much closer to home but somehow it's not worth the documentary. Is it because dolphins are cute, or perceived as smart, or what? Chickens are pretty smart when left to their own devices!

Not for me, its because I dont reckon dolphin tastes as nice as chicken, lamb or cow. Or for that matter, prawn, lobster, cod, monkfish, bass, tuna. Lambs are cute, many would possibly say cuter than dolphins. I don't think cuteness is the issue.

If dolphin tasted as nice as a good steak, or lobster - I would join the dolphin meat queue.

Edited by t8yman

Lambs are cute, many would possibly say cuter than dolphins.

I feel guilty everytime I have lamb :(, if my mum hadn't convinced when I was young that we just called it lamb and it was really an adult sheep, I doubt I would eat it but its so damn delicious.

I refuse to eat dear based on not being able to get the image of Bambi out my head.

(I was actually under this impression until about 5 years ago, and I watching countryfile or something with my girlfriend and she said something about eatting the cute lambs, I tried to argue the case and found out all this time I was a blood thirsty for one of the cutest animals around!)

Edited by LondonTom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...