The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

2 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Have you watched Bitter Lake yet? 

nope but just given it a look up and i definitely will be!

always meant to get round to watching documentaries as i do love em, but just don't have the patience/time to sift through the shite ones in order to find something great, which is why i asked for some suggestions

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Absolutely fascinating stuff. Fascinating man. Fascinating time. Never heard a man in power use so many racial slurs so openly!

• I have the greatest affection for them [Negroes] but I know they're not going to make it for 500 years. They aren't. You know it, too. The Mexicans are a different cup of tea. They have a heritage. At the present time they steal, they're dishonest, but they do have some concept of family life. They don't live like a bunch of dogs, which the Negroes do live like.

Err.... Dicky?!

Edited by The Nal

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That O.J. doc is superb. Watched it all twice.

Watched The Beatles Eight Days a Week. Some good stuff in there but nowt you haven't seen before apart from very nicely restored footage and a bit of fan footage too. Was hoping for some lurid tales - Roger Moores, affairs, drugs, Epsteins death after they stopped touring and how it was Lennon who introduced him to pills etc - but never going to get that with Lennon dead I suppose. Decent watch but all very nice and safe.

Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie available now....

Edited by The Nal

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 4:56 PM, The Nal said:

Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie available now....

Did you watch this Nal? I went to the cinema screening on Monday, I really enjoyed it, been a while since I've enjoyed a bit of Theroux that much, I'd go as far as to say it's one of his best ever.

55 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Did you watch this Nal? I went to the cinema screening on Monday, I really enjoyed it, been a while since I've enjoyed a bit of Theroux that much, I'd go as far as to say it's one of his best ever.

I enjoyed it yeah although after the HBO documentary I sort of feel like its already been done.

I find the anti Scientology movement a bit odd anyway. Its no worse than any other religion. 

58 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I enjoyed it yeah although after the HBO documentary I sort of feel like its already been done.

I find the anti Scientology movement a bit odd anyway. Its no worse than any other religion. 

I never saw the HBO doc actually, so I found it pretty original. All the other Scientology stuff I've seen is all, as you say, anti-Scientology, but I find it hard to be outraged about a bunch of dipshit geeks who only really are any harm to each other. What Scientology acutally is, is piss-your-pants funny, and I thought this really played up the absurdity angle of it all. The guy they had as a consultant, and the Scientologists who showed up to try to harass them hadn't realised that they themselves were the film, which for me was the brilliance of it all. I found it an really original way of Theroux doing his usual thing of letting people show themselves up, but without them realising it. They thought they were involved in the making of a super-serious film about how super-serious it all is, but really it was a bit of bait to get them to show up and be showcased. So for me it really was the film about Scientology I wanted to see, because it wasn't a #shocking expose about all the weird shit they get up to among themselves, it was a pretty clever insight into the absurdities of it and an insight into the mind of a Scientologist to understand how people end up doing this silly shit. Scientology isn't outregous or shocking, it's a pretty funny satire of lots of parts of the more cartoonish elements of American culture, and this was the best use of it I've seen.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

On 10/16/2016 at 2:17 PM, The Nal said:

yeah kind of how i felt about it. felt like he was a bit late in the game and everything that he found out/had to say had been said and done before. not bad but not worth the months of hype leading up to it

Watched the new Adam Curtis film, Hypernormalisation. It's the most Adam Curtis thing that Adam Curtis has ever Adam Curtised. His usual blend of Actually Really Interesting and Insightful and Actual Literal Nonsense, but turned up to 11 and spread over nearly 3 hours. 

There's some interesting stuff in there, but it's not Bitter Lake. 

35 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Not strictly a doc, and not really a new release, but I watched Taxi Tehran the other night. I really enjoyed it, and am definitely going to have to check out more of Jafar Panahi's stuff.

This Is Not a Film was pretty great. I haven't seen Taxi Tehran yet but he's a really interesting filmmaker.

This was a fascinating look into the end of the 80s and why it happened.  I turned 18 that summer, got myself involved in the free party scene in the west country and found my to Glastonbury for the first time (albeit only driving 20 miles down the road to buy drugs, spend some time with mates having a laugh and drive back again).  Watching this reminds me why I'm the dropout I am and not regret a moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Eight days a week, Ron Howard's Beatles documentary, made for good watching.  I'd seen much of the footage before, but laid out as it was as a timeline, with reconstructed stills and video being played over archive audio I found it to be a good history of the first half of their career.  I'd be very happy to see a post Sergeant Pepper film in a similar style.