The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

Were those really the kids bodies at the start or were they weird little mock-ups?

Creepy-ass stuff nonetheless. The whole movie had an air of maelevolence (sp?)

:P

those were the real bodies I'm afraid.

you really need to see the sequel if you havent already.

and the website wm3.org will give you access to loads of evidence such as transcripts and coroners reports etc.

Requiem For Detroit

Well worth a watch.

Instead of going out for the night, illness kept me in on Saturday and how glad of it I was. That doco about Detroit was STUNNING wasnt it? Made by Julien Temple and it showed. The artistry and production and flow of the documentary was brilliant. I learnt so much from it. Not sure from the footage if the city is really that apocalyptically empty in the city centre but what a place. So strange and eerie, stunning but decaying. The end with the urban agriculture was really interesting.

I havent seen the 8 Mile movie but want to now. Detroit...the example city of the US in microcosm. Boom and bust, strength to ruin to a possible very different but potential positive future perhaps?

The following doco about the music was good too but would have liked to have seen more about the dance era.

those were the real bodies I'm afraid.

you really need to see the sequel if you havent already.

and the website wm3.org will give you access to loads of evidence such as transcripts and coroners reports etc.

The first one was on TV a few months ago and after the recomendations on here I made my housemates watch it. ( i took over the remote and told them there was no way on earth they were watching america's next top f**kwit or whatever it was they wanted) They were all moaning about docos being "boring" and this one being "depressing" but within about 5 minutes they were all hooked. Not seen the sequel yet, think it was on the week after but missed it. Not been able to find it.

So my White Stripes came today and i watched the documentary Under Great White Northern Lights and i must say its brilliant. To start with the cameras are following the best band in the world (IMO) then the direction and editing is class. Like when its a certain gigs and one song is edited into the next but the visual effect is like the video reel flicker. Looks great.

Watched Cocaine Cowboys last night. Story of the guys, Columbians/Cubans/Americans, who brought bronson into Miami in the 70s and 80s, very good. A LOT of pictures of murdered bodies.

Amazing! Sure i posted my thoughts on it in this thread before.

How brutal is The Godmother btw, Totally relentless.

Watched Cocaine Cowboys last night. Story of the guys, Columbians/Cubans/Americans, who brought bronson into Miami in the 70s and 80s, very good. A LOT of pictures of murdered bodies.

I grabbed this yesterday and began watching it last night until the sleep fairy came in and beat me to sleep. Might get a chance to watch it today, it looks good. Got the sequel too.

A mate of mine recommended a tv prog about pablo escobar, which I have also grabbed to consume today.

I watched the escobar one - very interesting, and well made, its a nat geo doc, really enjoyed it.

am half way through cocaine cowboys. its a real eye opener this one.

I also watched "The Sex Chamber" about David Parker Ray. Holy.Shit. that man had some serious f**king loose screws. reminded me of john doe in se7en. check it out. dont read anything about the case, I knew the basics, but I reckon you would enjoy the doc even more if you were ignorant of the case from the start.

off back to watch disc 2 of cocaine cowboys now. will give my opinion laters!

Just grabbed myself two Docs just now

- White Light, Black Rain The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

- Murder on a Sunday Morning

Anybody seen them?

Plan on watching one of them this evening.

Watched Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. Some people on here were right, nearly as good as the film! Could be the best "making of" I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
Cannot wait for this!

I'm very sceptical, "its just a ride" by channel four did a perfect job of chronicling the man imho, and there is no real need for this. I very much doubt there will be any material I havent seen that is worth seeing. I truly hope I'm wrong, because you can never have to much Bill, but I'm not expecting much.

If it turns people onto Bill that havent heard of him - great.