The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

• 5 weeks later...

Watched the Tyson one last night finally. Have been watching all his fights on ESPN, they're showing his professional fights from the 1st, think its at 17 now. Most 1 round. An absolute animal. Good doc too, he was a lot more intelligent/articulate than people give him credit for, especially in his younger days.

Are the Michael Moore docs good?

Got Bowling For Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11

They are more entertainment than informative documentary film making. You only have to watch his last one about social healthcare, and the frankly ridiculous portrayal of UK NHS hospitals as havens of calm, tranquil, perfect places to realise exactly how far he is prepared to skew the reality in order to illustrate his rather idealistic views.

in fact I dont believe they should even be classed as documentaries TBH.

He famously edited some footage of Charlton Heston speaking at an NRA rally to read like he deliberately insulted the families of the columbine victims by organising a rally there the week after, when this was quite clearly not the case.

He famously edited some footage of Charlton Heston speaking at an NRA rally to read like he deliberately insulted the families of the columbine victims by organising a rally there the week after, when this was quite clearly not the case.

Watched some of it last night.

Heston was still a twat though, cold dead hands my arse. f**k off Charlton. Bowling for Columbine is absolutely great, inaccurate yes, but still makes its point.

The Sicko film or whatever is total shit though yeah, really really shit.

Watched some of it last night.

Heston was still a twat though, cold dead hands my arse. f**k off Charlton. Bowling for Columbine is absolutely great, inaccurate yes, but still makes its point.

The Sicko film or whatever is total shit though yeah, really really shit.

I disagree, the man is standing up for the American constitution (agreeing or disagreeing with the right to bear arms is pretty irrelevant really) and he certainly didnt use that phrase in or around columbine any time near the school killings IIRC.

I disagree, the man is standing up for the American constitution (agreeing or disagreeing with the right to bear arms is pretty irrelevant really) and he certainly didnt use that phrase in or around columbine any time near the school killings IIRC.

Its misleading yeah, but he was still a gun toting maniac. Constitution or no constitution and he deserved what he got in the film.

Its misleading yeah, but he was still a gun toting maniac. Constitution or no constitution and he deserved what he got in the film.

thats just the point, he didnt deserve it, he was misled and hounded in his own home for the sake of a shit "documentary" documentary makers like jon pilger and joe berlinger probably laugh in MM's face.

speaking of berlinger, I started watching "Crude" the other day - about Chevron/Texaco's battle with the ecuadorian people over them refusing to clean up the billions of gallons of oil pollution they left to poison their drinking water. very interesting film, and as always with berlinger - well researched and presented.

I am Trying to Break your Heart, the Wilco documentary is great. Highly recommended. The Ramones documentary, End of the Century is also great....

Obviously Touching the Void (haven't seen it mentioned but possibly everybody's seen it, and the book is even better)....and depending on what age you are and whether you remember the threat of nuclear war, The Atomic Cafe which I haven't seen in years is a scary masterpiece...

thats just the point, he didnt deserve it, he was misled and hounded in his own home for the sake of a shit "documentary" documentary makers like jon pilger and joe berlinger probably laugh in MM's face.

speaking of berlinger, I started watching "Crude" the other day - about Chevron/Texaco's battle with the ecuadorian people over them refusing to clean up the billions of gallons of oil pollution they left to poison their drinking water. very interesting film, and as always with berlinger - well researched and presented.

Must pick up some Berlinger stuff, Ive a Pilger box set at home thats class. Cola Wars doc is great, funny too.

I know theres some negative waves on here about Moore but I found Capitalism A Love Story to be pretty revelatory. Highly recommend it.

didnt even know this was out, just grabbing now. I watch MM films, I just take it upon myself to check the facts afterwards. he raises some valid points, its just the way he twists reality to illustrate the points to his advantage I have a problem with.

didnt even know this was out, just grabbing now. I watch MM films, I just take it upon myself to check the facts afterwards. he raises some valid points, its just the way he twists reality to illustrate the points to his advantage I have a problem with.

I don't like the way he puts himself in front of the camera. The practise has grown tired over the years. There is a bit in the Love Story film where he goes

"What the f**k happened?!"

that made me laff out loud though.

:P

I know theres some negative waves on here about Moore but I found Capitalism A Love Story to be pretty revelatory. Highly recommend it.

Slightly off topic, but have you read Fintan O'Tooles book (Ship of Fools)? Again, pretty revelatory (though so much of it is very well known in Ireland). The worst of it is, we keep re-electing these gombeens, even though they are crooked as f*ck and we know it...my other half keeps hiding it on me so she can get some sleep, as I get too worked up when I'm reading it. A good read all the same, but somebody somewhere has got to break these f*ckers, it can't continue (though alas it will)...

Slightly off topic, but have you read Fintan O'Tooles book (Ship of Fools)? Again, pretty revelatory (though so much of it is very well known in Ireland). The worst of it is, we keep re-electing these gombeens, even though they are crooked as f*ck and we know it...my other half keeps hiding it on me so she can get some sleep, as I get too worked up when I'm reading it. A good read all the same, but somebody somewhere has got to break these f*ckers, it can't continue (though alas it will)...

Fintan O'Toole is a fantastic writer. Im gonna check that book out mate. I remember reading Black Hole Green Card a couple of times and being amazed by the mess the place was in. The fact that history is repeating itself is just dispicable.

• 3 weeks later...

Requiem For Detroit

Anyone see this on BBC2 last night? Documentary on Detroit and how it is being viewed as the first real post-industrial city.

I knew the place was a mess but was astounded by the number of abandoned houses and factories. Whole neighbourhoods just lying empty, decaying and falling to bits. It looked like a warzone.

Detroit city now has a population of 800k when once it was over 2 million. Many areas now returning to farmland and urban-agriculture being viewed as one of the main industries.

Well worth a watch.