Films

Guest razz1e

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warrior is great, made me cry! I've been to see UFC in real life, was all right, this film though makes you want to stand up and whoop :P

i really enjoyed Drive, except the main character just stared at people in silence and smiled all the way through

Watched the Lemmy documentary last night and loved it.

Watched half of 'Attack The Block' and thought it was hilarious but then my computer died.

Watched 'Jersey Girl' again last night,say what you want,I love that film.Affleck and the little girl are hilarious in it.

Had a conversation with a mate re: Kevin Smith yesterday and I don't get the fanship at all. Clerks was ok, The 37 blowjobs bit is funny enough I suppose. The "but it was shot for 30k" isn't enough for me. Jay and Silent bob is dreadful, Jersey Girl is unremarkable and dull Thought Mallrats was pants and even films hes directed like Copout, shockingly bad.

Chasing Amy is good though.

Whats the obsession with him? Seriously, am I missing something?

I like his stuff have to agree Cop Out is fucking awful and Jay & Silent Bob is kinda bland for me as it lost a lot of the type of dialogue I enjoyed from the other ones but I have to disagree about Mallrats, I loved that film when I was 14ish and I enjoyed it the last time I watched it. I really rate Clerks 2 though and imo it's his best film.

I thinks it's do with the over-educated waster geek style of his films at the time no one else was doing it and since then he's created a fanbase and interacts with them, if he came along today he wouldn't be nowhere near as big. I read a review of his new film Red State and I think it sums up Kevin Smith films perfectly for me "more interesting than good".

The Clerks movies (particularly the 2nd one - it has a special quality to it/gloriously tender performance from Rosario Dawson) are really the only thing he's done that will stand the test of time. Take them away from his career and he is a self-conscious, bitter and unfunny Irish Catholic US film geek. That said, Ive been to "An evening with..." show and have tickets for the Feb show with Mews - found it very enjoyable. 3 hours of good banter. I like the guy... he riffs on movies brilliantly. The chap's dressing gown absolutely REEKED at the show, though. Im nearly getting sick in my mouth now thinking out it. Absolutely mingin.

Apart from the Clerks flicks the best thing he's done is his commentary track on the recent rereleased Road House dvd with Mosier. Essential stuff.

If he has ANY sense he will take a year off, and wrestle the rights to "Preacher" back. Get stuck in there.

Edited by Wooderson

I think with Clerks it was a product of its time the same with Grunge and so alot of people that were not of that generation dont get it.. Smiths an excellent self publisist, knows his market and so has a core base that will probably buy anything he makes. I think he mentions in one of the "evening with" films that even though his films dont always do well at the box office he makes the production company money on the DVD sales. there's probably alot of people out there who spend there evenings getting stoned having a Kevin Smith marathon.