Steel Pints!

secondr0w

Sorry if this is a repost, could someone link me to an old thread if so? Thanks!

Anyone know if Glastonbury are using the steels again this year, and if so more of them? 

Personally I thought it was a great idea but a few I went with disagreed (they never managed to get a steel cup so..) What's everyone's thoughts?

A places did refuse to pour straight into the steel cup for hygeine reasons, so still gave you a paper cup which defeats the purpose a bit. However, still worth doing even if just for the fact that even if you're just pouring from a paper cup into your steel cup, you can do that at the bar and leave the cup there so it doesn't end up on the ground somewhere. Also, it defo keeps your pint cooler for that little bit longer.

1 minute ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

A places did refuse to pour straight into the steel cup for hygeine reasons, so still gave you a paper cup which defeats the purpose a bit. However, still worth doing even if just for the fact that even if you're just pouring from a paper cup into your steel cup, you can do that at the bar and leave the cup there so it doesn't end up on the ground somewhere. Also, it defo keeps your pint cooler for that little bit longer.

I thought that, but I believe the purpose isn't actually to stop us drinking from dirty glasses.  It's to prevent your dirty cup (that might contain things like herpes!) from coming into contact with the dispenser, thus causing contamination to all future pints pulled.  So although your cup might have some bacteria on it from drinking hanging around in it for 5 days, it's still much more hygienic for the festival as a whole if your dirty cup doesn't go near the pump.

I never quite got the hygiene thing....surely, along as the bar person doesn't touch the nozzle of the pump with ur grotty cup, it remains herpes free?? I guess there's always a risk. Some of the old dudes in the pub I worked in used to get proper pissed off when we tried to give them new glasses every time.

However, I have mine from last year, and shall definitely be taking it back. Just for pouring out my own delicious cider in, if nothing else :)

17 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I never quite got the hygiene thing....surely, along as the bar person doesn't touch the nozzle of the pump with ur grotty cup, it remains herpes free?? I guess there's always a risk. Some of the old dudes in the pub I worked in used to get proper pissed off when we tried to give them new glasses every time.

However, I have mine from last year, and shall definitely be taking it back. Just for pouring out my own delicious cider in, if nothing else :)

I suppose it's very easy to accidentally knock the nozzle with a cup, at which point it's now infected.  That's all I can think of anyway.

2 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Mine was from Bimble too, woe betide anyone who would try and swap it for a clean fresh one!  

The Thatchers Craft stall poured straight into it, they weren't fussed about germs...or maybe I just looked clean :D

didn't try anywhere else but a nice cold can from the campervan fridge tastes just perfect out of the steely

I remember the Park being all over the metal cups. They'd definitely let you reuse them, and I think you HAD to buy one if you didn't already have one, but I can't remember if they poured directly into them or not.

I think between out crew we had a fair few in the end, and then my friend bought some more for christmas...being especially supportive as they're made in sheffield :-D

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

To pour a decent pint of lager, the nozzle should touch the side of the glass anyway. 

And handpulled, you need to put the nozzle all the way in to the bottom of the glass.  

True! Not as important with cider though, maybe? 

All this chat about cider and steel pint pots is making me a) want a drink and b ) miss sheffield (and c. making me wish it was Glastonbury now, but that goes without saying)

3 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

It was the British steel element that really made me want one!  We don't tend buy much from the  bars as we've got a camper so cold cider not really an issue but I really really really wanted a pint pot and knew that Bimble were doing them so we bimbled in quite early on weds, can't quite remember but I'm sure they had paper ones too...barman started with the sales patter explaining the whole deal with them and I was like no no Mr barman you don't need push your wares on me I'm only here for the pot :D:D

Tee hee...."bimbled in" :D