Arriving Thursday vs Wednesday

Friend Chicken

If your very lucky and get to 20 Glastonbury festivals in your life time that's just 100 days you get to be there and enjoy the magic. 

Make the most of all of them and get as much out of the five days as possible each year. You never know when you might get to be there again 

Edited by phil the shrew

Someone said Thursday's a bit dull and someone retorted about a picnic blanket lol (too lazy to quote, on my phone)

Can someone simply spell out for me what goes on Wed (and Thurs) if not the major performances? Is it mostly socializing with your camping neighbors? Acoustic sets? DJ sets? Circus-type performing arts? I have no clue what to expect and coming from California with limited time this affects which coach day/time I may pick and potentially flights. 

For comparison Thursday at Coachella is mostly drinking at campsite, DJ set/dancing sometimes a live band, arts/crafts activities, games, yoga, etc. 

17 minutes ago, Friend Chicken said:

Someone said Thursday's a bit dull and someone retorted about a picnic blanket lol (too lazy to quote, on my phone)

Can someone simply spell out for me what goes on Wed (and Thurs) if not the major performances? Is it mostly socializing with your camping neighbors? Acoustic sets? DJ sets? Circus-type performing arts? I have no clue what to expect and coming from California with limited time this affects which coach day/time I may pick and potentially flights. 

For comparison Thursday at Coachella is mostly drinking at campsite, DJ set/dancing sometimes a live band, arts/crafts activities, games, yoga, etc. 

That's pretty much what is happening at Glastonbury, although by the sound of things there's more drinking at bars and around the site in general (unlike Coachella you can drink where you want really). All the bars will have music going on, though it'll mostly be a DJ or acoustic acts - you can find bands in the evening. In the evening there will be the opening ceremony with fireworks and the burning of a phoenix/dragon.

The site is much bigger than Coachella and the advice to explore and get your bearings is good. I'm constantly surprised at the number of people who have been going years and never found entire areas of the festival - Wednesday is great for this, even though much of it won't be in full swing.

I'd suggest you take the advice above, check out last years clashfinder and customise it to reveal all the stages. If you hover over an act it brings up a number of search options that allows you to check the act. That should give you a good idea of the sort of stuff that's about.

Screenshots of last years clashfinder. Bearing in mind that it's not covering most of the bars, there's quite a lot going on for a day when 'nothing happens'.

Wednesday.jpg

Wednesday 2.jpg

if it were me flying all the way from the states I'd aim to be on site by early afternoon Wednesday, that gives you that afternoon/evening to set up, say hello to your neighbours, crack open a cider and go for a chilled out wander with nothing in particular planned, see where your feet take you.

you then have a full day Thursday for more exploring, checking out where the stages are, catching some music, wander round the craft fields, walk up to the Glastonbury sign ( without turning around until you get to the top) to catch the best view of the whole site, firgure out where you will spend the evening and just immerse yourself into the Glastonbury vibe.

Yoga :lol::lol::lol: don't get me wrong, you'll find it if you want it, but my first thought on a Wednesday afternoon is not a downward facing dog: it's eight pints of brothers cider and a Goan fish curry. Probably followed by a hideous bowel movement in a long drop toilet while someone sings an Erasure medley in the shitter next to me. 

Expect it to be quite different to North American festivals, in short :P

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Yoga :lol::lol::lol: don't get me wrong, you'll find it if you want it, but my first thought on a Wednesday afternoon is not a downward facing dog: it's eight pints of brothers cider and a Goan fish curry. Probably followed by a hideous bowel movement in a long drop toilet while someone sings an Erasure medley in the shitter next to me. 

I'd call that a good day, sir!

14 minutes ago, Friend Chicken said:

What time? I booked a one person but I'm worried that will be too small. lol 

Unfortunately they aren't stating a time as they don't want their website to crash, I had to constantly refresh the page from 9am until they went on sale at around 3pm, was a bit of a drag but glad I've got a tent, the email did say the afternoon if that helps. 
Charm x

On 28/03/2017 at 7:12 PM, Friend Chicken said:

I'm also a bit concerned that Wed-Mon might be just too long. I've been doing Coachella Thurs-Mon or Thurs-Sun for years. I'm going solo and not terribly sociable. I suppose Glasto is just so much bigger though there'd be plenty to occupy my time Wed & Thurs. 

This is precisely the reason I'm going Thurs this year for the first time. I've always done Weds and been so burnt out by Sunday that I think that one extra day of sleep / shower is going to really help. As long as you get there early enough Thurs you've got plenty of time to explore before the full festival kicks off! Or alternatively arrive Weds and pace yourself, something I always fail at....!

• 2 weeks later...

I was a first timer last year and thought the late night opening ceremony on Wednesday, with Gyoto monks, wicca incantations, tribal drummers, fireworks and the burning of the Phoenix, looking out over the site with lights straking the sky, was absolutely unmissable... maybe if you go every year it gets old but for me it was a highlight and still retained some of the original Glasto spirit.... be there at least once...:-)

Wednesday.

Pro's - get to see opening ceremony up by the stone circle, Plenty of options for pitching tent so get a good view/nights sleep and well away from taps, walkways & toilets, can have a good wander around site (its huge) without missing any acts or people getting in your way.

Con's - If the weather is shit it's an extra damp night under canvas, possibility of getting wasted on Wednesday night any being bad Thursday.Need to take an extra day's stuff with you.

Thursday.

Pro's - less time spent in a tent with no showers/flushing toilets or in the wet if typical English summer..

Con's - Best locations in camp sites will have gone, danger of being close to walkways, taps, toilets, miles away, will already be busy...

Whatever day you go remember "use the free lockups for your stuff" as it means more space in tent & it doesn't get wet/nicked.

The whole site is the Arena and you can take in as much food/alcohol as you can carry (no Glass Bottles) and eat/drink where-ever you want, so you could go and not spend a penny once your inside.

Add to this that once the main stages shut there is still loads of music playing until 4AM and random stuff all night it's somewhere you want to be for as long as possible.

Take comfortable hiking boots - I'm not fit and I still covered 78 miles (according to my fitbit) wandering around the site Wed-Mon.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:04 PM, thooomash said:

Unfortunately, we are able to leave on wednesday night from The Netherlands, so is there enough space for 3 tents on the campsite on Thursday? If so, what is the best place to camp without having a lot of noise?

Hi - there is another thread on this I think in the main chat section but arriving on Thursday you should still be able to get a nice spot, and fairly quiet, in fields such as Pylon Ground, Rivermead, Bushy Ground, Baileys. Also think I read somewhere that Back House doesn't even open until Thursday (I'm sure someone else will confirm) so should be plenty of space there. See map below:

2016v2.thumb.png.3a435300cc5b545fbcb4954da07d0feb.png

For the first time in ages I'm going to be arriving on the Thursday this year (coach ticket) so pretty gutted that I'm missing out on weds afternoon/eve - as others have said you want to savour every minute. Still will make the best of it once I'm there!