Areas that need to change, be renewed, or be replaced

FieldOfAvalon

7 minutes ago, Nikolai1985 said:

Its the "tourists" that seem to be the issue with me and see it as a kind of place to gawp while of there nut rather than party.

I think this is why I've never bothered trying to get in.  I know the music's not my cup of tea and I won't be dancing so I would just be going in there to look.  While that's fine with Arcadia or the Unfairground or big installations that are a visual spectacle in themselves, it has always felt like it would be along the lines of "ooh I've never been to a gay club before, let's go and look for 5 minutes to see what the gays do".

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Avalon Café, Meeting Point, Babylon Rising, Rabbit Hole, Bimble Inn, Toad Hall, Small World, Mandala, Greenpeace Stage, all open until at least 3am if not later.

I've spent a few years dong the same thing, either getting wedged in SE corner or loitering outside a packed bar, but the spaces are out there.  I didn't realise most of them were until I started using the Clashfinder.  

Granted these are options but not all in the Park area which is what we were referring to. If i'm looking for somewhere to go at 2am it may take me half hour to get there only to find its full (most of the above mentioned are small venues) then have to walk another half hour to the next spot. Keeping more areas open gone 3am gives people options. No-one wants to be walking around for 3 hours when the option of SE corner is there with everything 15 minute walk of each other.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Avalon Café, Meeting Point, Babylon Rising, Rabbit Hole, Bimble Inn, Toad Hall, Small World, Mandala, Greenpeace Stage, all open until at least 3am if not later.

I've spent a few years dong the same thing, either getting wedged in SE corner or loitering outside a packed bar, but the spaces are out there.  I didn't realise most of them were until I started using the Clashfinder.  

I spent a lot of time in the T&C fields this year and the theatre bar after hours which was great, Thursday was at Club de Fromage which was bloody good fun (and was at front barrier too) will defo do that again :)

Park Bimble inn is the 2nd choice for me...I didn't even attempt to go to the SE corner this year not even during the day which was a shame as wanted to go to the back of the beyond place but with the crowds & mud I couldn't face it and do prefer T&C field vibe

21 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Granted these are options but not all in the Park area which is what we were referring to. If i'm looking for somewhere to go at 2am it may take me half hour to get there only to find its full (most of the above mentioned are small venues) then have to walk another half hour to the next spot. Keeping more areas open gone 3am gives people options. No-one wants to be walking around for 3 hours when the option of SE corner is there with everything 15 minute walk of each other.

Not right next to each other I'll grant, but Park has Bimble, Rabbit Hole and Stonebridge, and Green Futures is only a trot through Pennards from the Park to get Mandala, Toad Hall, Small World and Greenpeace.  In Glastonbury terms you're not going to get much closer than that!

Short of keeping the entire festival running 24/7 (even staff need to sleep!) I'm not sure what more you'd be hoping for if I'm honest.

The one way layout needs sorting, I ended up having to argue with a steward for a bit to be allowed on to the railway track to exit the SE corner. They were preventing people from getting onto it as it was too busy in Shangri-La and Block 9 but in turn there was then no obvious way to exit Common or Glasto Latino. I eventually found a way out but it wasn't signposted and to someone who has only been twice in a decade it wasn't obvious. 

I agree with everyone who has suggested sprucing up Silver Hayes a bit more, it's got a lot of good stuff on but does lack a bit of soul. The telephone lines seemed to be an attempt at this and it's be cool to see them go further. It might be cool if they could put some bigger acts on at night, even if only as a "silent disco" type deal to try and draw some of the crowd away from SE. Maybe have a few stages with different DJs/acts and people can walk around and switch the frequencies on the headset.

Was also a bit of a nightmare getting to Mavericks/Cabaret after headliners as it's the route to SE corner, would be nice if they could do something about this as they have a lot of great stuff on from midnight - 2ish and it was hard to reach it at times due to crowds using the field as a cut through.

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

This is something I could get behind, seperate enterances for Shangri La/The Common and Block 9 might also work

This would be much better.

Without having the bands to avoid the one way it would annoy the hell out of me.

Only other way to avoid all the waiting is if you cut down the back of the crew area and pop out between unfair ground and shangri-la where the £3.50 pints are.

4 minutes ago, Nikolai1985 said:

This would be much better.

Without having the bands to avoid the one way it would annoy the hell out of me.

Only other way to avoid all the waiting is if you cut down the back of the crew area and pop out between unfair ground and shangri-la where the £3.50 pints are.

They closed that way up on the Sunday this year, first time I've ever experienced that! 

57 minutes ago, Nikolai1985 said:

Its the "tourists" that seem to be the issue with me and see it as a kind of place to gawp while of there nut rather than party.

RE: NYC Downlow

We're all ''tourists''.

I was in there, spangled, from about 1am - 6am close on Sunday morning and did not give one fuck about any passers-by gawping. Not one.

Try not to get hung up about what you think it should be as a venue or who you think should be in there and if all else fails...

VOGUE

VOGUE

POPPERS

VOGUE

Was thinking today, maybe they could make some kind of mini-documentary showing each late night area/venue i.e The Park, Silver Hayes, The Glade, Babylon Uprising, Green Futures, Circus Fields etc. and the venue organizers talk about what their area is about and what to expect etc.

Release it a few weeks before the festival and maybe that would make people realize that they don't have to rely on Arcadia/SE Corner to have a good time?

Edited by BlackHole2006

4 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Was thinking today, maybe they could make some kind of mini-documentary showing each late night area/venue i.e The Park, Silver Hayes, The Glade, Babylon Uprising, Green Futures, Circus Fields etc. and the venue organizers talk about what their area is about and what to expect etc.

Release it a few weeks before the festival and maybe that would make people realize that they don't have to rely on Arcadia/SE Corner to have a good time?

Yeah good shout. Most people probably don't even know what/where Babylon Uprising is I expect.

This year I spent a bit of Friday night in the Greenpeace Engine room, and thought was a smashing little venue it was. Really really easy to get to as well, just off the train track. I'll be going back for sure (ticket permitting). Only half full as well - did anyone else go? Did it ever get busy?

17 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Yeah good shout. Most people probably don't even know what/where Babylon Uprising is I expect.

This year I spent a bit of Friday night in the Greenpeace Engine room, and thought was a smashing little venue it was. Really really easy to get to as well, just off the train track. I'll be going back for sure (ticket permitting). Only half full as well - did anyone else go? Did it ever get busy?

I honestly have no idea where Babylon Uprising is. Where is it, I'll check it out.

I didn't make it to the Engine Room this year but I noticed they'd really opened it out and made it a lot more obvious. In 2015 you basically had to go searching behind the Greenpeace ship to find it.

1 hour ago, Drfoxxx said:

shangri-la is awful compared to what it used to be. you are just like a herd of sheep walking round it now. 

they've always been the herds passing through, depends upon if you stay - I thought it was better than usual this year, liked the new Love & Bullets, the Dismaland installations, and the trolls were on a par with Sick Sick Sick! The Nail Bar (Sisterhood) was also a success by all accounts. ShiTV was a hark back to the old 'Big Brother' show, and StarFuckerz - well!

Edited to add..... every single festival goer should be given a copy of the Shangri-Liar up to them if they read it, but the fact that our mainstream media is such a propaganda machine even to the extent that a few days ago we celebrated them packing millions off to war and their certain deaths - was a sobering thought, so much so I had to have a break in Wally's and read the whole thing.

Edited by 5co77ie

16 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I honestly have no idea where Babylon Uprising is. Where is it, I'll check it out.

I didn't make it to the Engine Room this year but I noticed they'd really opened it out and made it a lot more obvious. In 2015 you basically had to go searching behind the Greenpeace ship to find it.

Ah now.  I always stumble across it smashed, so not 100% sure.  But I THINK it's between Leftfield and Williams Green.  Sure someone can correct me :)

it's where I thought it was too - but then I thought where's Bread & Roses - and got horribly muddled - so added the map

...and i wasn't correcting you, I was expanding upon your answer

Edited by 5co77ie

5 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

it's where I thought it was too - but then I thought where's Bread & Roses - and got horribly muddled - so added the map

...and i wasn't correcting you, I was expanding upon your answer

Didn't think you were, I just assumed I'd be completely wrong and it's actually next to Avalon or something :)

B&R's got me confused now.  I can find my way in the thick of it, but never from above.  It's on the corner opposite Babylon on the way back to Leftfield, right?

This may be why my friends and I never find each other btw :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And what is it?

Very, VERY, bass heavy reggae, dub and ting.  Looks quite small from the outside but deceptive.  During the day generally not that busy, picks up in the evenings.

32 minutes ago, Quark said:

Very, VERY, bass heavy reggae, dub and ting.  Looks quite small from the outside but deceptive.  During the day generally not that busy, picks up in the evenings.

I saw a float type thing with Babylon Uprising written on it driving round with people dancing behind, like carnival, had a little join in was really fun. 
Charm x

19 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

See I would never normally have much call to be walking that way at night, but now I'll be going out of my way to check it out.

Had a cracking night in there last year on Sunday. Unfortunately didn't spend any time in there this year because I spend far too much time in the Circus areas. Great location and a good party atmosphere in that tent. Plus Jerk Chicken stall right next to it.