Car park conditions updates

pie_and_a_pint

This thread scared the shit out of me Sunday, put me in a right old mood for a couple of hours and was half considering leaving before Coldplay. So glad I decided to take my chances, and actually had the quickest journey home I've ever had (normally go straight to A303 and sit in a traffic jam for about 4 hours until it magically disappears after Stonehenge) but this year decided to let google maps decide where to take me and was home in Essex 3 and a half hours after leaving the site.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, evilduck said:

We were in West 53 and got to the car about 3:30pm when luckily everything was mostly dry. It took us about 45 mins to get out and then everything was smooth sailing back to London.

W53 too.  Got to the car about 415 and was practically straight out of site.

Took a late decision to head for car park during the night. Got to car in E39 at around 2:30. 10 mins later was up to my axles in mud.

Got a tractor tow after about 45 minutes, which I thought was pretty good considering - backwards as my front screw-in towing eye wasn't accessible, so had to use the permanent rear eye and be towed about 800 yds across the field backwards to exit.

On drive back to Devon when I got to clear dual carriageway - a303, but westerly so no q's - found that at 60mph+ there was a horrible wobble in the steering. Immediate thought was that something had got bent, particularly as the first thing the tractor had done was to drag me sideways to be 90 degrees from original direction.

Booked car into my garage for this morning. Have picked it up, nothing bent just such an accumulation of mud amongst wheels, brakes etc it was causing the imbalance. So all they had to do was to clean / jet wash it out.

BUT, cost me £77 squids though - 1.5 hours plus the cost of the jet wash.

Left Monday lunchtime from E11 at 12.20, got off site and onto A37 within 30 mins.

hit a load of traffic around Stonehenge but apart from that it was ok.

was back in Oxford just after 4pm so around 3 1/2 hrs in total (clear drive is about 2 hrs). - could have been worse!!

Left W50 at about 06:00, car was stuck (we thought it might be as when parking tried to inch forwards a couple of inches and it dug in) but we got a push off a couple of guys in a Landie, we then loaded up and set off for the roadway with us passengers still assisting. BMW and utterly useless in slippy conditions so we just jogged behind, fortunately the guy in an Astra saw us coming and let us straight onto the roadway (thanks fella!) we jumped in depositing half the field inside but we we were off (30 mins max) drove for a couple of miles to find a safe spot to pull over to FINALLY get out of our wellies and then off up the M5. Stopped at the lovely Gloucester services for a flushing loo and a splendid breakfast with proper cutlery. Back to Nottingham for lunchtime-ish.

We were in Campervan East 16 because when we arrived they wouldn't let us through to our usual East 23.  But at least that put us nearer the exit.  Went into a panic on Monday morning when I realised that the screw in tow eye, which should have been in the car tool kit, was missing.  So no alternative but to get out under our own steam.  Luckily my old Quattro came up trumps and we crawled out steadily with a heavy caravan and a car with five adults.  Three hours to get home compared to 13 to get there.

First stop this morning, the Audi garage and I now have a tow eye.

12 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Left W50 at about 06:00, car was stuck (we thought it might be as when parking tried to inch forwards a couple of inches and it dug in) but we got a push off a couple of guys in a Landie, we then loaded up and set off for the roadway with us passengers still assisting. BMW and utterly useless in slippy conditions so we just jogged behind, fortunately the guy in an Astra saw us coming and let us straight onto the roadway (thanks fella!) we jumped in depositing half the field inside but we we were off (30 mins max) drove for a couple of miles to find a safe spot to pull over to FINALLY get out of our wellies and then off up the M5. Stopped at the lovely Gloucester services for a flushing loo and a splendid breakfast with proper cutlery. Back to Nottingham for lunchtime-ish.

I LOVE Gloucester services. If only all services were as nice as there and Tebay. 

On 27 June 2016 at 8:16 AM, Pinhead said:

Was in Pink 54 and just got back. Got stuck and a really sound bloke gave me a push to get me out. Left whilst it was still getting light though - could see conditions were going to be impossible later without towing just about every car out of some of the Pink car parks.

Could have been me? I was walking through 54 to 55 just as it was getting light and helped somebody get moving again. His missus also got out of the car and helped push and they got moving pretty easily. It was my last act of festival kindness and even at that time in the morning was still a pleasure to help somebody who probably felt as shit as I did!:)

Shaun.

8 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Could have been me? I was walking through 54 to 55 just as it was getting light and helped somebody get moving again. His missus also got out of the car and helped push and they got moving pretty easily. It was my last act of festival kindness and even at that time in the morning was still a pleasure to help somebody who probably felt as shit as I did!:)

Shaun.

I was on my own mate so probs not me - but my thanks goes out to people like you and this other chap who helped get stuck people like me get moving even after a tiring walk back to the car parks and in those conditions. Cheers.