Lineup 2018

38 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Trying to sort my clashfinder out, where do we think The Blaze will play? I had them heading FR but I really don't know where they suit. High NME?

Would you mind sharing it when you’re done? I’d like to see an idea of what it’ll look like but don’t know enough to position everyone. Cheers.

Have to say the similarity to the Wireless lineup is disappointing. I'm a big fan of hip-hop but the acts at R&L and Wireless just don't appeal to me at all. I was hoping to see acts like Schoolboy Q, Vince Staples, Danny Brown, Jay Rock, Joey Bada$$, Denzel Curry, A$AP Ferg and Injury Reserve get booked (I'm aware a few of those have played recently) over the likes of Lil Pump and Playboi Carti and I think they'd suit the festival a lot better and would prevent Wireless getting canibalised (not sure if that's much of a risk). 

Edited by Takyon
I'm a dunce and Wireless already sold out.

2 minutes ago, Takyon said:

Have to say the similarity to the Wireless lineup is disappointing. I'm a big fan of hip-hop but the acts at R&L and Wireless just don't appeal to me at all. I was hoping to see acts like Schoolboy Q, Vince Staples, Danny Brown, Jay Rock, Joey Bada$$, Denzel Curry, A$AP Ferg and Injury Reserve get booked (I'm aware a few of those have played recently) over the likes of Lil Pump and Playboi Carti and I think they'd suit the festival a lot better and would prevent Wireless getting canibalised (not sure if that's much of a risk). 

Isn't Wireless already sold out?

9 minutes ago, smileii said:

Of my friends, those who were considering Wireless or don’t really care about the music are loving it, but the more ‘indie’ among us can’t see anything worth spending £200 on. I think dental’s right in that they’ll bulk out the undercard with indie over the next couple of announcements, but our custom will be long gone by then, Community or Y Not gives us a much better lineup for a lot less. There will be a demographic shift I think.

You've brought up something that a few others have recently, here's my thoughts;

If somehow FR pull it out the bag on the second announcement, get some good effin rock on that poster, split the stages appropriately and organise a couple of nice little surprise sets... it's actually the demographic that is really starting to get on my tits.

I'm at the age now where I will happily still go full bore and through yield over 3 days.. but being surrounded by school leavers who can't figure out how much MDMA they can safely take before turning into a over-exuberant, gurning mess is something that I can't stand.

You get a bit of that at a lot of other festivals but Leeds is becoming more and more like this and rightly or wrongly I feel like the recent lineups aren't helping.

1 minute ago, Dangerbreaks said:

Would you mind sharing it when you’re done? I’d like to see an idea of what it’ll look like but don’t know enough to position everyone. Cheers.

image.png.5f1fa8e59205dba3b4e9ff58fd91f067.png

image.png.c86991bea6048c75c8d5d4de5f5541c6.png

image.png.5f186de2f763ab6d397269f17a7df4eb.png

This is what I'm currently thinking, although not sure. It's also based off of last year's time slots which won't be the same they're just there for reference.

Has anyone considered that Festival Republic took over the running of V Festival from last year, they have now closed this festival down and they are trying to combine the R/L & V crowds to make 2 huge sell-out festivals? 

-Leeds never sells out

-Reading have been increasing their capacity by 5,000 every year for the past few (until it reaches 110k)

If they can manage to create an in-between lineup it'll sell the most tickets.

Considering they also own both Download & TRNSMT they can continue to book more metal/rock acts at Download & a varied lineup for TRNSMT (as essentially the BST of Scotland)

I'm not saying I like what R/L has become it's definitely not a good lineup. But it seems to me this is what is happening.

5 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah I doubt they'd clash Dua Lipa with Kendrick. 

Also if you fancy a laugh: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5385013/amp/Fans-rage-Reading-Leeds-Festival-lineup.html

No way did they list the 4 headliners as Kendrick, Post Malone, Dua Lipa and Skpeta. Obviously fucking not hahahahah.

1 minute ago, Alternate said:

Has anyone considered that Festival Republic took over the running of V Festival from last year, they have now closed this festival down and they are trying to combine the R/L & V crowds to make 2 huge sell-out festivals? 

-Leeds never sells out

-Reading have been increasing their capacity by 5,000 every year for the past few (until it reaches 110k)

If they can manage to create an in-between lineup it'll sell the most tickets.

Considering they also own both Download & TRNSMT they can continue to book more metal/rock acts at Download & a varied lineup for TRNSMT (as essentially the BST of Scotland)

I'm not saying I like what R/L has become it's definitely not a good lineup. But it seems to me this is what is happening.

FR don't book TRNSMT and I think they've been booking for V Fest for a long while now....

Honestly, as the day has rolled on, it's grown on me. It's not strictly a poor lineup, taken out of context; the issue laid at the feet of it is that given the options supposedly in the market at the time, it doesn't stack up in comparison to years gone by, or others taking place this year.

A lot of people weren't happy last year with Muse/Eminem/Kasabian at the time, though it shifted tickets.

8 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

No way did they list the 4 headliners as Kendrick, Post Malone, Dua Lipa and Skpeta. Obviously fucking not hahahahah.

Jesus some of these morons that made the article :lol:

And a man added: 'Reading and Leeds line up is shocking. Instead of Kasabian, Paramore, and Foo Fighters they get Dua Lipa, Wretch 32, and Kendrick Lamar. Pretty sure it's not T4 on the beach.'

5 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

A lot of people weren't happy last year with Muse/Eminem/Kasabian at the time, though it shifted tickets.

Didn't sell that well, did it? 

7 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Honestly, as the day has rolled on, it's grown on me. It's not strictly a poor lineup, taken out of context; the issue laid at the feet of it is that given the options supposedly in the market at the time, it doesn't stack up in comparison to years gone by, or others taking place this year.

I don't think many were that unhappy with the headliners, is was more that they had spent so much on them that they had to skimp on the undercard.

Just now, DownboundTrain52 said:

Mate three of the four headliners, for a festival aimed at ~16-20 year olds in 2018, are Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco and Kings of Leon.

Maybe there are some people in that audience who somehow still like FOB and PatD, but then 50% of the announcement was hip-hop/grime and there are like three other acts spread throughout it who'd appeal to them (over £200 to see FOB, PatD, Sum 41, Papa Roach and Hollywood Undead?).

Maybe there are some people in that audience who like KoL (although I'm pretty sure no teenager has listened to them this decade). I guess there's Courteeners and The Wombats on their day so they could happily buy a day ticket, but tbh I don't think anyone R&L is aimed at listens to KoL now.

The only people I can see being pleased with this bill on the whole are hip-hop fans, but even then there's only one headliner for them (who's sharing the fucking headline spot with Panic! at the Disco ffs) and they'd surely be much better off at Wireless or Parklife unless they specifically want to see Kendrick (granted, a lot of people will want to).

This spread of genres works when it's acts that have crossover appeal (e.g. Royal Blood/Florence/Paramore, Kendrick, Arctic Monkeys/Foos would appeal to people not purely into specific genres), but I don't think many people school leavers in 2018 are gonna be excited for FOB, PatD and KoL.