Tips for food and drink that last the duration

Lockley123

While we are waiting for news... As a first timer I am interested to hear your tried and tested tips for good food and drink to take that will last the duration without a cool box. Vodka and gin (just buying mixers), and red wine seem a better bet than warm lager. Lots of crisps? I can probably live on that diet for 5 days but any other suggestions very welcome. We will buy food from stalls too but would like to cut costs by taking some of our own supplies.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crisps have always ended up being a waste of space for me, but I say olaha snackbar. Load up on tracker bar style treats, they weigh little, fill you up and don't suffer from the heat as badly as chocolate based stuff.

I take a disposable bbq, a couple of packs of sausages and bacon, have a cracking meal on the Wed or Thurs back at the tent, live on snackbars for much of the rest of the time and try to get one good meal per day I pay for.

As for booze, cans are too much bulk for the alcoholic content, spirits are the way to go (decanted into plastic bottles). A litre of spirits weighs about the same as 2 cans of lager.

We take some sausages and bacon, feeeze half of it. By the time it is defrosted we have run out pf the stuff that wasn't frozen itsthawed. Usually lasts all weekend.

Also, cereal bars. They provide good enery usualy. Worth taking porridge if you have a stove - nutritous, light and quick to cook.

Tinned fruit. Its not great but fresh fruits rots a bit quick.

Edit - and mdma

Edited by marcwilson87

You can get individually wrapped brioche/croissants/pain au chocolat with longish best before dates from most supermarkets. Someone recommended them on here last year so I took a few to Glasto and they were ruddy lush for breakfast/snacks :)

I survive on pringles and cereal bars. Always get lunch from the toastie van in Oxelars (have I spelt that right) and its worth taking a few pot noodles too as some places will fill it up for you for £1...saves you taking a kettle and stove and all that unneccessary bollocks.

I'd say if possible, save up a few extra bob and explore the food stalls. I usually just get one big meal a day which can range from £3-£8.

Enjoy it! Nothing else like Glastonbury

Pringles are good as they come in their own safety tube that prevents them from being squashed.

I find the Elevenses/breakfast bakes are the best cereal type bar to take because they're so stodgy they fill you up. Squares melt in the heat so not so good.

Apples are good - don't bruise too easily and can be refreshing in the morning. Also, you can get fruit in jelly/juice in little plastic pots.

The thing that went the quickest last year in my tent was pre-filled toffee crepes. They were individually wrapped and rolled and were damn nice. I got them from Asda, don't know if they still do them.

My intention is to eat and drink in a frugal manner in the run up to the festival and then go all out on eating the nice food from the stalls (if you pick wisely they are not too bad value for money) Mainly as I want to cut down on carrying too much in,

If I was taking food I'd look at

Crisps

Jaffa Cakes

Dried fruits (good for energy and doesn't take too much room)

Mixed nuts (good amount of calories and last ok)

Rice cakes

Tinned spaghett

Noodles

Mini Baby Bels

Packet cous cous

In the past I have taken things like sausage rolls and pork pies but they always go warm and sweaty if you don't eat them straight away and end up getting binned!

I take pringles, cereal bars, choc bars etc. and then a camping stove. Drinks wise, I'll bring crates and leave them in the lock ups (free, although donation requested- manned locker tent thing. Worked really well for me, went and got beer, money etc. as and when I needed to). I brought a crate of water too for the tent and also a load of capri-sonnes, I swear they're godsends after a long night!

What I didn't know (2 years ago, first time) was that Glastonbury has a great shop (I'm sure there's more than one!) which sells fresh baguettes, bacon, sausages etc. so rather than trying to bring my own the shop is the plan this year and I'll just bring the camping stove.

Edited by AiiShotTheDJ

Personally I usually take

Breakfast bars,

Choc Bars

Pringles

then Drink

a crate or two of cider

a sh*t load of spirits

then money

there is such an incredible range of food avaliable I get a meal a day somewhere and just have a snack late on, and then carry spirts, can then buy a bottle of something for a mixer from a shot and if I want a beer I'd rather just pay and get a nice cold one, I usually only have one or two a day though just to change up from the spirits

- Cereal - just need some fresh milk from the milk truck each morning. take out of box and slightly open the bag to prevent it bursting. the 12pack of weetabix is good too.

- breakfast bars

- porridge pots are good as you can just get some boiling water from a van/stall and add to them, same with Pot Noodles.

- tins of tuna

- nuts

- bagels - get some of those small square plastic tubs of jam and/or peanut butter to go with them.

- bananas

- ambrosia creamed rice pots.

- Robinsons Squash'd thingys - for when you need a small break from booze, but plain water is too boring :lol:

other than that, just the usual junk food.

i considered one of those gas hobs with the disposable gas bottles, but i'd have to buy them, plus the pots/kettle, plus buy all the food and keep it fresh for the first few days, so with the amount of money i'd spend to get set up, i'm just going to buy food from the stalls instead.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Tinned Fruit, Tinned Rice Pudding, Tinned Custard. Filling, not too hard to stomach after a heavy night, and great for a breakfast energy boost.

pre cooked baked spuds in foil to warm up on BBQ were awesome last year, werent even our group that were cooking them but we made friends

basically anything thats BBQ-able, but burgers & sausages get a tad boring by the weekend so points added for inventiveness if theres still stuff to cook by saturday