Since the big fence, have you ever had your tent burgled or an attempted burglary, and if so where were you camped?

Guest angelfire

So I've camped in Park Home, Dairy, Michael's Mead and Oxlyers over the years and the only year I've heard of neighbours, or anyone nearby being the victim of tent thefts is in 2011, whilst camped in Oxylers.

So out of curiosity, have you ever been burgled and if so, where were you camped?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2009 was camped in Pennard and loads of people round us got done on the Wed / Thur night - lots of cash taken. They left bank cards and other such stuff. One guy had £200 taken and that was all his money gone. I always recommend using the lock ups - an invaluable service. That was the only year I experienced it but sure it still happens - use the lock ups!

I've never been robbed either. The key to that though is to make your tent look as shit as possible (pop up of course). Leave your clothes out in a mess and leave the zip open when you're at your tent so everyone who walks past can take a gander in there. It's the people who make sure their tent is secure as possible are the ones that will most likely get robbed imo. Also always keep your wallet in your pocket. :)

Edited by Jackmypie

Pre-fence our tent was turned over several times, had people come in while trying to get to sleep; 'sorry lad wrong tent' in an, ahem, easily identifiable regional accent. Several of our group mugged on pathways at night, one pushed in a ditch for no reason etc.

Since fence; nothing, nada, sod all.

Few years ago in Paines ground (before it became mostly crew camping) the girl in the tent next to us had her bag stolen. They reached in the tent and took it while she was sleeping.

She woke up and shouted if I had just been in her tent (no idea why she thought I would be there was with my own gf)

I said no and jumped out. We had a good look round and just after she gave up I found it dumped not far away.

Not only did they not end up nicking anything their ipod had dropped into the bag so she ended up with an almost new iPod (with a very bad and odd mixture of music)

2009 - Pennards wed/thursday night as already said. Loads of tents around us robbed but we were ok. We never keep anything valuable in the tent.

2010 - Scared off some a couple of dodgy looking guys. Looked really suspect walking through the campsite at Pennards. They didn't look like they were making their way to or from their own tent. I made sure they knew I was watching them and they quickly made an exit.

2003 - the first year the fence went up was my first year. Our friends went up to Kings Meadow about 4am on the Sunday and saw a girl being dragged into some bushes. She mouthed "help me" to them, so my friends ran in after her just in time to stop her being raped. They brought her back to our camp, her clothes torn to pieces and scratched all over. She'd met a guy on the Sunday and spent the day drinking and chatting. He'd invited her back to his tent to do some coke but she'd declined and she was just walking back with him planing to go her own way when it happened.

I think the message is clear. There are evil people everywhere and Glastonbury is no exception.

Look after yourself and others.

Some bloke tried to steal from my brothers tent during the day at Webbs Ash many years ago. My brother was in his tent at the time. To cut a long story short the bloke left the tent quickly followed by my brother who has a vicious temper and who wanted to deal with the bloke in a physical way. The bloke was massive and had a big mallet in his hand. This didn't concern my brother as he doesn't care how big people are. I, of course, was shitting myself at this point. I could also see that the bloke wasn't alone either as various individuals came out of the woodwork and urged the bloke with the mallet to hit my brother. I think the bloke realised that if he made a mistake my brother was going to destroy him regardless of what would happen to him afterwards at the hands of the blokes mates. Then all of a sudden the bloke just walked off. Maybe he saw a copper or a steward. I really don't know why he backed off. Glad he did though.

On another occasion some girls camping next to us (again at Webbs Ash) were burgled while they slept in their tents at night. They were going to go home as they had no money but we all had a whip around and gave them enough money to stay at the festival (which was their first Glasto).

For years and years I used to just have my wallet with cash on me and never used the lock ups. All that changed last year as I decided it just wasn't worth risking it.

Oh, I forgot - i remember some bloke shouting out in 2007 about some other bloke who had ran past his tent, stooped down, and stole his boots which were outside his tent. A good pair of walking boots were a precious commodity in 2007.

Been 3 years and not had anything stolen. I leave the inside of my tent in absolute mess though, so good luck finding anything, if you can be bothered!

I take shitty old phones that I don't care if I lose, and I keep my wallet etc in my shorts when I go to sleep.

So in short, if you want to nick some crap food and some smelly socks, I'll be in Big Ground!

I was robbed in 2009 in Pennards, on the Wednesday night. They took all my money (about £150) from under my airbed while my GF and I were sleeping on it. Woke up to find wallet minus cash in my porch. They'd also considered taking my phone, but it was shit so they left it next to my wallet.

Not a nice feeling, being robbed while you're sleeping.

For the last few years I've taken my kids so we camp in family camping now - very little chance of being robbed in there. However, I still store my cash in the lockups, and "draw out" the money I need each morning.

Edited by Cheesey

Camped in Park and Dairy in 09, 10, 11 and 13. Every year either had someone come into tent with the 'oh wrong tent' when we've shouted out or a couple of times we've come back and found all the tents unzipped and riffled. As a result we started using the lockups in 2011 so always been ok.

Last year a friend had some stuff nicked from inside a sock in his (small messy popup) tent while we were all sitting in our tent next door playing games and avoiding the rain. They must have been in there a while as they had a chance to properly rummage and find stuff.

General rule - leave your tent messy, use the lockups and don't keep too much of anything together e.g. cash, alcohol etc... at least that way if you are unlucky enough to fall victim to the f*ckers then you won't be left with nothing.

I know there are much worse crimes that could happen at a festival, but this low-level stealing, of a phone here, or some cash there, riles me so much.

This is someone else's holiday, their happy time which they've worked hard for, and some twat has the gaul to go through your belongings and take what isn't theirs.

It's not just the loss of the item or the money - as the person above has said, it's the not feeling safe, especially when asleep.