Since the big fence, have you ever had your tent burgled or an attempted burglary, and if so where were you camped?

Guest angelfire

A group of friends got robbed in both 2010 and 2011 (Webbs ash and Pennards respectively). The first time we left them on the Wednesday evening explaining we were going to the lockups before heading back to the tent, they chose to continue drinking and fall asleep with wallets left in jeans pockets in the tent, woke up with no cash. Came back the following year and then acted really surprised when the same thing happened again. They are accountants though, so could afford the loss on the back of all the money they make helping people avoid tax :P

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Michaels Mead in 2008 (I think) whilst we were sleeping. Got woken up with a torch in the face. Lost money but not my shit festival phone as it was found outside the tent after they realised it was not worth anything. I have used the lockups ever since.

A group of friends got robbed in both 2010 and 2011 (Webbs ash and Pennards respectively). The first time we left them on the Wednesday evening explaining we were going to the lockups before heading back to the tent, they chose to continue drinking and fall asleep with wallets left in jeans pockets in the tent, woke up with no cash. Came back the following year and then acted really surprised when the same thing happened again. They are accountants though, so could afford the loss on the back of all the money they make helping people avoid tax :P

Not had anything stolen in the 4 times I have been. Don't do anything specific but do use the lockups - I take my decent camera with me so always put it in at night as would be mightily peeved if it got nicked.

We have a bigger tent this year as the boy is a bit bigger and some friends staying in it so will feel more vulnerable to people coming in the porch/living area bit but only thing they could nick was the booze - that would still feck me off but not as much as the camera.

As soon as the tent is pitched, all of my cards, keys, passout, and as of this year the coach ticket home, and a big chunk of my money go into the lockups. Visit them again on Friday to get out my second wedge of cash to last me until the end of the festival, leave an emergency ballast of £100 in the lockup which should go right back into the bank once I'm home, but it's there just in case. Sleep with my wallet and phone in the sleeping bag, camping chairs erect and covered in clutter at the tent doorway (which is v low down so the chairs fill up 100% of the "vestibule" space), if a particularly prickly customer navigates those without waking me up (I sleep very lightly) he then has to open the bedroom. I'm right at the front of the bedroom, so he has to reach over my airbed to reach the other side, which is a pile of junk and some assorted cans. I usually bring mainly spirits with me, which I also carry during the day, all the cans of cider are gone by Thursday.

After my soembody ran a knife down the side of my mate's single skin tent and completely cleaned him out while he snoozed at Leeds in 2009, I've made myself pretty impossible to steal from.

I wonder if we've just been lucky then, as we've never used the lock ups (are definitely going to this year). We've always left our tent in a tip, but there's still always been things lying around in the porch (we have a Quechua tent with one of the seconds base standyup in things actually attached to the bedroom). I'm definitely using those lock ups!

I wonder if we've just been lucky then, as we've never used the lock ups (are definitely going to this year). We've always left our tent in a tip, but there's still always been things lying around in the porch (we have a Quechua tent with one of the seconds base standyup in things actually attached to the bedroom). I'm definitely using those lock ups!

USE THE LOCK-UPS! they are safe, and free to use, I use them every year.

There are still thieving bast*rds that come to the festival, some professional, some chancers. As a worker I am aware of it more but I also get to see the ones caught get dragged off by security and the police.

If everyone used the lockups these people would have a hard time thieving anything valuable.

Never at Glasto, I've had the 'sorry wrong tent a couple of times' though. I've always camped in Park Home and it's been fine. I've only ever been robbed at one festival, Secret Garden Party, someone climbed over me and my boyfriend while we were sleeping to take my wallet on the first night, really not how you want to start a festival!

Never at Glasto, I've had the 'sorry wrong tent a couple of times' though. I've always camped in Park Home and it's been fine. I've only ever been robbed at one festival, Secret Garden Party, someone climbed over me and my boyfriend while we were sleeping to take my wallet on the first night, really not how you want to start a festival!

We must have been extraordinarily lucky. This is our tenth year. Our group in that time has been between 5 and 20 strong, almost always greater than 10. In that time not one of us has been robbed or had any indication of tent being entered. I've also never overheard people camped near us talking of tents being robbed. We did once in Pennards have stewards going round on Thursday warning that that

there had been thieving going on the previous night. We've camped in Pennards, Park Home, Dairy and near New Bands tent

Lock up, lock ups , lock ups! I never leave anything in the tent worth stealing, my wallet goes in the lock up and I take enough to get me through the day. If they came in at night all they'd get is the change in my pocket. I carry my camera( if I take one ) and phone with me .

Bloody hell, if ever there was an advert for the lock ups, this thread is it.

Personally, the lock ups is where I'll be heading immediately the tent is pitched up. I'm not actually taking a phone of any description as I much prefer the idea of losing myself completely in the Glasto experience, but I'm taking money so that will be going in the lock-up aside from a daily withdrawal. I'm also going to put in excess alcohol as well and I'll take out what I need for the day at the same time I get my cash. It won't stop anyone rifling through my bits, but they won't find anything worth nicking.

2003 - the first year the fence went up was my first year. Our friends went up to Kings Meadow about 4am on the Sunday and saw a girl being dragged into some bushes. She mouthed "help me" to them, so my friends ran in after her just in time to stop her being raped. They brought her back to our camp, her clothes torn to pieces and scratched all over. She'd met a guy on the Sunday and spent the day drinking and chatting. He'd invited her back to his tent to do some coke but she'd declined and she was just walking back with him planing to go her own way when it happened.

I think the message is clear. There are evil people everywhere and Glastonbury is no exception.

Look after yourself and others.

In 08 I think it was a few of my mates had their tent robbed three big rugby playing lads smallest 6ft 4... Oh how we wish they woke up.

Another year a mate had his wallet nicked he only found out when someone a few tents away brought it back saying they found his wallet (without the small amount of cash that was in it) had also had all their tents robbed.

I find the best place to store any valuable (outside the lock up) is by my nads in my sleeping bag.

Pennards in 2010, woke up Thursday morning to find tent door open and spare pair of shorts in vestibule. Thankfully nothing stolen as wallet was on me. I did think they'd robbed 3 packets of fags for a while, that was until I happened to find them on the Monday when I was packing up, hidden under the pile of clothes I'd put them under when I arrived and turned my tent into a mess so no one could find anything to steal.

My tent was opened again that morning (about 8am ish) when I ventured for my morning wash/toilet stop. Again nothing stolen as I'd taken everything with me.

Two lads camped next to our group had their wallet stolen with about £300 in the same night.

Camped in 2009 in Pennards again, found a girls purse outside my tent in the morning with her bank card inside but no cash. Initially assumed it had been dropped but when I handed it into campsite crew they advised quite a few wallets had been dumped with the cash but nothing else removed.