Weather

matt_berr

You just leave your boots and waterproofs at home then Waffy. Pack only t-shirts and shorts less you anger your sun god or whatever twaddle it is.

Oki doke.

To digress, where did the Glastonbury Tor come from?

And i'm asking as a historian with a genuine intrigue, nor borne of daft thread silliness, or with reference to wiki or the internet.

British history isn't my speciality...and i love hearing history from locals.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really can't see the point in this obsession with the weather countryfile the Sunday before is the only way, otherwise it's only guesswork.

How many of us say "I hope the weather will be good when....." I know a lot of you hate the NFR NFC thread and think we are all mad but I wonder how many do say or think the above when they are booking something in advance.

Tell you what tho we have a lot of fun and great banter over on the thread.

I for one (being disabled) would have a nightmare as in 2011 where I couldn't get anywhere without a struggle.

So hate me, down vote me and abuse me but I am going to rely on positive thinking NFR NFC and the good old countryfile forecast

Peace and love to all hope everyone has a fab festival.

I don't think anyone begrudges you lot the existence of your own thread, it's just annoying that any and every thread talking about weather or preparations gets interrupted by this nonsense.

I don't think anyone begrudges you lot the existence of your own thread, it's just annoying that any and every thread talking about weather or preparations gets interrupted by this nonsense.

Sorry if you feel I am talking nonsense but each to there own I suppose.

Oki doke.

To digress, where did the Glastonbury Tor come from?

And i'm asking as a historian with a genuine intrigue, nor borne of daft thread silliness, or with reference to wiki or the internet.

British history isn't my speciality...and i love hearing history from locals.

What do you mean? The tor is a hill. I don't know where it came from. The tower on top is the remnants of a church.

Quieten down waffy.

If the question is, "where does that hill come from?" How the %$%& am I supposed to answer that? Also, why am I being demanded an answer of?

Please tell us where the hill came from, if you're such a smart arse.

And to also be fair to Mr Gumby, if he missed that the question was addressed at you, then it seemed like you replied only to say you didn't know! Looks to me like Woffy was just being friendly too.

Glad that's sorted. Only another 4 weeks until a decent forecast. When does J1 next report?

If the question is, "where does that hill come from?" How the %$%& am I supposed to answer that? Also, why am I being demanded an answer of?

Please tell us where the hill came from, if you're such a smart arse.

Apologies, i believed the question had been an open one. From that viewpoint, your answer seemed arsey, but now less so.

As far as Glastonbury Tor goes it's one of many hills in the area formed thousands of years ago by flood waters. The somerset levels were largely soft rock which was worn away fairly quickly by flooding each year, but some patches of harder ground were left behind, relatively untouched, including the Tor.

Sorry if you think that makes me a smart arse.

History of Glastonbury Tor

Until two thousand years ago, the sea washed right to the foot of Glastonbury Tor, nearly encircling the cluster of hills. The sea was gradually succeeded by a vast lake. Although a peninsula, the Tor would have looked like an island from most angles of approach: an old Celtic name for Glastonbury is Ynys-witrin, the Island of Glass.

Excavations on the Tor have revealed some Neolithic flint tools and Roman artifacts, indicating some use of the Tor since very ancient times. The terracing on the side of the hill, if man-made, may also date from Neolithic times.

The first significant occupation of the Tor dates from the Early Middle Ages (c.500-1000 AD). Remains discovered from this period include: a metalworker's forge; postholes; two 6th-century burials of teenagers oriented north-to-south; fragments of 6th-century Mediterranean amphorae (for wine or oil); many animals bones; and a worn hollow bronze head which may have topped a Saxon staff.

A second phase of occupation of the Tor between 900 and 1100 AD is known from the discovery of the head of a cross and what were probably monastic cells cut into the rock on the summit. The existence of a monastic community on the Tor is confirmed by a charter of 1243 granting permission for a fair to be held at the Monastery of St. Michael on the hill. Sites on high places are often dedicated to St. Michael the the Archangel; just one examples is Mont St-Michel in Normandy.

The monastery and church on Glastonbury Tor were closely associated with the great Glastonbury Abbey in town below. Medieval pilgrims made the steep climb up Glastonbury Tor with hard peas in their shoes as penance.

The first monastic Church of St. Michael that stood on Glastonbury Tor was probably destroyed in the major earthquake of 1275. The church was rebuilt in the 14th century, and only the tower still stands today.

St. Michael's Monastery on Glastonbury Tor fell into ruin after King Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries (c.1535) during the English Reformation. The last abbot of Glastonbury, Richard Whiting, was hanged on Glastonbury Tor on November 15, 1539.