Pukkelpop 2014

TheNewUnion

Translation says this

"Another strong rumor that has come our way . Pukkelpop would know Queens Of The Stone Age have roped in as a headliner . However, they are not according to our source at Rock Werchter"

Have to say, I think QOTSA could really deliver as a headliner, they played a couple of years ago (Iron Maiden year possibly) and I missed them so would like to see them.

Not sure they would be classed as a headliner but I hear they were amazing on The Other Stage at Glastonbury so can clearly hold the attention of huge crowd

Edited by TheNewUnion

Translation says this

"Another strong rumor that has come our way . Pukkelpop would know Queens Of The Stone Age have roped in as a headliner . However, they are not according to our source at Rock Werchter"

It's pretty obvious that QOTSA will play RW or PKP, as their are making festivals in Europe in early July and mid August and thay haven't any date in Belgium in 2014. What an information!!! according to our sources in pukkelpop organization QOTSA will play there but our sources at rock wertcher desagree.... so funny...

It's pretty obvious that QOTSA will play RW or PKP, as their are making festivals in Europe in early July and mid August and thay haven't any date in Belgium in 2014. What an information!!! according to our sources in pukkelpop organization QOTSA will play there but our sources at rock wertcher desagree.... so funny...

No, it's just Google Translate doing a poor job.

What the sentence - Ze staan volgens onze bron daarentegen niet op Rock Werchter - means is: "On the other hand, according to our source, they are not at Rock Werchter."

So it's confirming PKP and not RW, rather than contradicting.

Have to say, I think QOTSA could really deliver as a headliner, they played a couple of years ago (Iron Maiden year possibly) and I missed them so would like to see them.

Not sure they would be classed as a headliner but I hear they were amazing on The Other Stage at Glastonbury so can clearly hold the attention of huge crowd

It will probably work the same as in 2010, with them playing an early headline slot and then followed by a dance act to close the stage (was 2ManyDJs in 2010).

Having said that, I find QOTSA incredibly tedious, so I'm not bothered either way...

No, it's just Google Translate doing a poor job.

What the sentence - Ze staan volgens onze bron daarentegen niet op Rock Werchter - means is: "On the other hand, according to our source, they are not at Rock Werchter."

So it's confirming PKP and not RW, rather than contradicting.

Ahh, makes perfect sense now. Thanks for translating.

Frequency Festival in Austria (which is the exact same dates as Pukkelpop) have just announced their first raft of acts:

Skrillex, QOTSA, Placebo, Blink 182, Parov Stelar Band, Ska-P, Jimmy Eat World, Prinz P, Kadaver, Wilkinson, Congorock, Milk Drinkers, The Young Punx and Dubesque.

The two festivals usually share a fair proportion of bands so fully expect at least half of these to be at PKP. I'd say this pretty much confirms the QOTSA rumours, although there are a few other festivals on that weekend so it could come down to who has booked them first. Interesting that they have Skrillex and Placebo, who are both playing Rock Werchter. Doesn't necessarily rule them out though as there's usually 5-10 bands each year who play both RW and PKP, although it tends to be ones lower down the bill.

Ventured on to the V forum earlier this week and the big rumours there are Arctics (unlikely) and Jay Z. The latter would be a major coup for PKP and I think could actually happen as they've picked up headliners in the past off the back of V and Reading (2006 springs to mind when Radiohead wanted a 'local' festival appearance prior to playing V).

Going to throw Massive Attack into the equation as well. Don't think they're big enough to headline now but late night show on the Main would suit them well.

Don't care if I sound like a broken record from last year's thread but Kraftwerk are out and about next summer so they're definitely going to be there (positive thinking, positive thinking, positive thinking!!).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be amazed if Blink 182 aren't one of the first announcements at PP, headlining Leeds/Reading and also playing Frequency in Austria.

For the record I think they're shit.

These are their announced dates for that period:

-Chiemsee summer festival in south of germany: 13-17.8.2014

-Highfield festival (east of germany): 15-17.8.2014

-Frequency festival (east of Austria): 14-16.8.2014

-Stuttgart, germany: 18.8.2014

-Dortmund, germany:19.8.2014

-Hamburg Crash Fest, germany: 20.8.2014

It seems that the only way Pukkelpop would fit into this involves them playing 7 gigs in 8 days.

Edited by Dietediet

• 2 weeks later...

Good News (for me): KoL are playing Wertcher so we can rule them out for Pukkelpop.

You have to wonder what terrible things the poor fans of Werchter must have done in a former life to deserve being punished with KoL six times in eight years. :lol:

Or maybe the Werchter organisers simply have no imagination. Which I think is nearer the truth, when you like at the line ups - the bill is the same year after year after year... Yawn.

Edited by Trufflehound

You have to wonder what terrible things the poor fans of Werchter must have done in a former life to deserve being punished with KoL six times in eight years. :lol:

Or maybe the Werchter organisers simply have no imagination. Which I think is nearer the truth, when you like at the line ups - the bill is the same year after year after year... Yawn.

I'd like to personally say a big 'thank you' to the RW organisers for booking KOL again. It would have pained me to see a sizable chunk of the budget going towards their already inflated egos so it's great news that RW have once again taken them out of the equation. Their headliners aren't my main concern if I'm being honest; the next announcement will be of more interest as it should contain the bulk of their line up.

If previous years are anything to go by then we should start to get a few self-confirmations in the next month or so. Broken Bells have a new album out and are touring, same is true of Chromeo so hope they are both present. I'm not a huge fan but Deadmau5 is headlining a big dance festival in Germany the week before PKP so he could be a candidate for a late night slot on the Main (think he's too big for the Dance Hall now). Frank Turner is down to play Highfield (which is roughly the same time as PKP) so if his back is alright he may well make up for his 2013 cancellation. Based on the fact they're touring, would be happy to see Empire of the Sun, Washed Out, The Naked and Famous, Damian 'Jr Gong' Marley and Little Dragon come August. As always though, I can't wait to check out the many new and undiscovered acts they will unearth - definite highlight of the festival for me.

• 2 weeks later...

There's usually quite a lot of overlap between the two festivals, although they don't tend to share the same set of headliners. Would imagine we'll get most of the bands announced so far for Lowlands, not that there's anything I'm too mad about.

Been a busy couple of weeks with quite a few festivals announcing bits of their line up. Haven't seen anything too ground-breaking thus far but things will be a lot clearer in the next fortnight or so once the bulk of the August fests announce. We've probably still got another five weeks to go though!